18.

Maria
Entering the boutique, it's like nothing I've ever seen before. The manager rushes over eager to please Roel and leads us to a private room. My magpie heart is singing at all the jewels watching how the overhead lights make them dazzle from every angle.
The private room is huge, there's nothing but expensive plush seating and a coffee table but it's set up as a living room not a consultation area. "Mrs Çami would you like a coffee or champagne?" The manager, Harry, asks but I don't answer. No one has called me anything but Maria and it's easy to forget that is my new name. Roel doesn't pause and fills the silence I created. "Bring the bottle through. I want to see the choker from the third display, the bracelet in the second and anything that has bigger stones than them."
He wasn't even looking as we were guided to this room but the items he mentioned are the two that made me stop and admire them. Another staff member brings our drinks and even the flutes are high end crystal, this is the life of the ridiculously wealthy. I'll accept any gifts he gives me but the trust he mentioned won't be used in excess, I can't rely on him to fund my life because I'll lose the safety it provides. That's where my mother went wrong, she didn't have her own money so she was trapped in the cage of my father and at his mercy.
Harry comes back in and lays out velvet trays with diamonds so big you can't see the metal that holds them, there's one that's loose resting on the cushioning. A perfect oval shape and big enough to cause damage if it hit you. Angling the tray towards me he directs the words to Roel. "We couldn't find anything bigger with the short notice but this is a 17 carat oval shaped diamond, super ideal cut, and no internal flaws." The specification goes over my head all I know is it's shiny and huge but it annoys Roel for some reason.
His voice is stilted trying to keep his tone even as he leans forward and Harry audibly gulps under the power of it. "I told you to get flawless, my wife won't wear anything substandard." Holy shit, he thinks this isn't up to standard. It's laughable and I try to tell him that without saying the words.
Touching his arm to get Roel's attention, he softens under my hold and sits back to look at me. "It's beautiful, Harry. Thank you." The asshole next to me glared at the poor manager and it intensifies when he tries to move passed his previous behaviour. Holding his gloved hand up he asks. "Would you like to try it on and see how it looks with your band?"
I nod and he picks up the stone, it's already set in metal but I couldn't see it from how much the stone dwarfs everything around it. Holding my left hand out Roel moves in my periphery before Harry can place the ring on. "No one else is putting a ring on her finger, leave." His tone is deadly and I can feel the anger coming off him as he watches Harry gently place the ring on the cushioned tray and walk out.
When we're alone I try to keep my voice low so I don't cause a scene. "Why are you being a rude asshole to him? He's helping you for fucks sake." People who treat others like shit because they have money is the most unattractive thing, it distorts their features in my mind and shows their hideous character.
Grabbing my hand, Roel strokes my ring finger and waits for me to give him my attention. He doesn't deserve it after acting like a prick so I busy myself with the glass of champagne I didn't finish. Blowing out a breath Roel softens and keeps stroking my finger as he speaks. "He didn't do his job, I'm not going to give you something with fucking flaws and I'm definitely not sitting her while some other fucker puts my ring on you."
His lips land on the skin he was caressing and Roel holds the ring between his finger and thumb, his voice coming out in his normal playful tone. "Is this big enough angel?" My magpie heart wins over my stubbornness and I nod trying to hide my excitement as he slides it on to my finger. The size is definitely ridiculous and it covers my full finger but it's beautiful and shiny.
I'm admiring the ring when Roel brushes my hair off my neck and presses against my shoulder blades so I turn. "Hold your hair up." His lips press into the side of my neck, my eyes closing automatically savouring the feeling. I don't want to look away from my finger so I blindly hold my hair away from my neck with one hand and his laugh brushes my skin. "It doesn't look real, and I don't want to damage it." My explanation is weak but he doesn't call me out on it.
Something cool wraps around my throat distracting me from my staring contest and a click sounds at my nape before Roel kisses the skin below my ear. I'm melting into the floor from the tender gesture but he doesn't prolong it. Holding a mirror in front of me, I can see his lips by my ear and his suit providing a backdrop to the choker around my neck. "You can fuck them all up I'll replace them. Do you like this one, Angel?" I can't see the rest of his face and the words are spoken gently, that part of me that softened towards Roel gets bigger and I focus on the choker trying to push it away.
The choker is designed to look like a floral cage around my neck, each row adorned with diamonds with more diamonds in the middle arranged to look like flowers.
"It's beautiful, perfect." The words leave me on a breath and Roel angles the mirror up so our faces are in view. He doesn't look away from my eyes and the jade darkens in his irises. "You're right, engjëlli." The nervous feeling in my stomach starts its tumble again at the depth to his words.
It gets wilder with the look in his eyes and the heat at my back. I break the weird staring contest and look to the rest of the items laid on the trays. The angle should be awkward and uncomfortable but I like him being close to me. It's like a bubble that no one can invade, another defence against the world. Until Harry comes in and hesitantly passes Roel a wooden box, it's small like it holds a ring and I wait for him to open it.
The curiosity itches at me when he sets it on the table and I snatch it wanting to see. He's literally laid out everything else but he's being secretive about this box and holds my hands stopping me opening it. Dismissing Harry Roel tries to pry it out of my fingers when we're alone but I throw my weight back not wanting to let him have it.
Dumb decision because Roel follows me and I'm trapped below him. "Is it a present for your girlfriend?" The word leaves a nasty feeling on my tongue, one I'm not used to. I told him he can sleep with whoever he wants and it didn't bother me before but now I don't like the thought. He looks insulted at my question and the bitter taste goes away. "It's mine, like you. Now let go." I shake my head not wanting to think about how his declaration makes me feel.
Changing tactics I soften my body but keep the box clasped in my hands. My voice is gentle coaxing him to let me have my own way. "I just want to see, I promise I won't damage it and I'll give it back to you. Please, Roel let me." It works and he lets my hands go, but he doesn't get off me.
Bringing the box to my chest I keep it held tightly in case he changes his mind and crack it open. It's just a normal platinum band, there's nothing special about it and there's no inscription. Deflating at the less than exciting item I give him the box back and push against his shoulder so I can sit up.
There's a pause before Roel moves and he looks strange, an unfamiliar emotion showing on his face as he sits back. Spinning the box in his hand he stares at the wood like it will answer his unspoken questions. Is it something special and I ignored it? Or did he want me to compliment him on the metal?
Keeping my tone gentle, I try to talk my way out of my unintentional snub. "It's nice." Jade eyes land on me and my smile feels fake but I keep going. "The ring, I'm sure whoever you're going to give it to will like it." Blinking away his thoughts the smile comes back and I relax knowing he's not offended. His eyes leave mine and Roel snaps the box open, taking the ring he pushes it onto his own ring finger and I feel like an asshole. "Ready to go?" His voice is steady and I'm sinking further. He bought his own wedding band, Eden told me Dion gave the order to make this marriage look real because Rizzo is still around but I didn't think he'd listen to it.
Swiping the order sheet, I fill my details in for his ring. I leave the rest when I see there's no prices, it's how you know the establishment you're in is way too fucking expensive. Being rich is loud, wealth is a whisper.
I'm halfway through signing my name when arms wrap around my shoulders and I'm pulled back. Roel lips brush my ear as he speaks. "You will never spend a fucking cent when you're with me angel." His arms band tighter keeping my arms at my sides when I try to get away. Turning to look at him over my shoulder I say the word I know is his kryptonite. "Please, I want to."
It works and he doesn't realise he's handed me the key to the city by relenting twice. I feel giddy with power knowing that.
Quickly signing my name, I go to take the choker off so we can leave but he stops me. "Keep it on, I like seeing you collared." Lips press into my nape and I want them to stay there. "It doesn't match my outfit." My argument is weak but it's true. My dress is a normal everyday wrap dress, the choker is made for galas. Sighing into my hair, Roel presses his lips into my skin one last time before unclasping the necklace. My neck feels bare and naked without it. I'd gotten used to the feeling of the metal on my skin and the extra weight but I'll just wear it in my room whenever I can.
I don't spend long in mourning because Roel takes my hand and the heat is replaced. It's a little act but it feels huge, significant, as he guides us out of the store. Harry will package the finalised items and deliver them to the penthouse so we only leave with our rings. As Roel is opening the door for me, a man stops him. His clothes are caked in grime and he has multiple layers to protect him from the cold.
Roel walks closer to him leading him away once I'm locked in the car. I can't see his face or what he's saying and I hope to god he doesn't hurt him. The other man looks homeless, already down on his luck in life the last thing he needs is a thug beating him.