the call that changed my destiny

"Hey Where are you?" 

"In the library"

"You home soon?"

"Around 3. Why?"

"I need to talk to you NOW!!"

"Are you ok?"

"Yes"

"Do you need me to come home?"

"Yes :D"

"Okay. Be there in 20"

"I love you <3"

"I love you <3"

I hurry to gather my things and step out of the library. Apparently something has happened as he is that eager to get me home. Either that or he is playing a prank on me which wouldn't be the first time. 

"Hey. Whats up? Everything okay?" - I say almost immediately as I step into the apartment

"Brandon called" - he says, his voice flat

I stop midways in the hallway "Oh?"

"The NBA called him" - he tries to stay smooth, but is failing miserably as a smile is creeping up on his beautiful face

I gasp and put my hands over my mouth instantly as my eyes start to well up. He stands there with the cheesiest smile ever known to man. "Oh my God" I manage to get through the emotions, tears and lump in my throat. He steps over and pulls me up into a hug, twirling me around and burying his head in my neck, holding the tightest he has ever held. His happiness radiating over whole of him, and onto me. 

"Oh my God" - I say again as he puts me down, still holding around me, our faces inches apart with the biggest smiles and happy tears in our eyes "Tell me everything"

After a few shared kisses we move to sit on the sofa where he tells me about the call Brandon received today from the NBA. He is invited to Nyc for a meeting and a try-out. Thats all he knows about it for now, everything else will be revealed to him in details at the meeting. Which is to be held in NYC next week, Tuesday. 

The plan is to fly out Sunday to meet with Brandon, talk things through beforehand and get off most of the jet-lag and then fly back on Thursday/Friday. He would love for me to go with, but understands if thats difficult on such short notice. 

I text my boss at the hostel asking for a leave, and explaining its a family emergency in the States. He grants me the leave without pay of course. That I am taking it only two weeks after started working doesn't nag on me or my consciousness as much as I thought it would. Probably because the reason I am doing it is so much bigger than anything else, and worth sacrificing even a job for.

"Omg whats that?"

He smiles "that's Messi"

"What?" - I am still shocked

"Yeah" - he keeps smiling

"It looks totally surreal..."

"Its like a video game"

"Yes. Shit that's crazy"

"The guy is a phenomenon"

"Clearly" - I am still stunned by the performance and the show playing out in front of me. Its Saturday night and we are at the Camp Nou watching Messi and Barca win over Rayo Vallacano 3-1. Tomorrow we are flying out to Nyc together. :) 

After the game we head to a nearby pizzeria. And its like Hero promised the best freaking pizza I have ever tasted.

We share a large pizza and two beers, a lot of laughs and anecdotes about FCB with the chatty bartender. He being a proud Catalan and 3rd generation Barca fan knows about Hero and his transfer to Barcelona and is excited and curious as what he can bring into the team. Football is the numero uno sport, but as the whole Barca organization is their pride they/he is invested in all sport genres. Hero doesn't mention the call from NBA or the possible transfer out of Barcelona for him.