Chapter 65

Tears rolled down her cheeks, her jaw dropped. She saw a contract where it was stated: /The biological father is to give up his only daughter to the SS organization for the sake of his position there as an elder and also for the safety of the child. The Elders of the organisation are not allowed to bear their own children, but since this was a special case, both parties would consider this as an one time mistake and learn from it. This piece of information is never to be disclosed to the outside world./ She also saw the signature of her late Mentor and the former Chief of the SS organization at the bottom. And there was a picture of the child provided, in case. She couldn't believe her eyes, as that picture was hers when she was about 3 or 4 years old. She couldn't stop the trail of tears from dampening her face. She couldn't believe the words and their implications. She felt suffocated and wanted to tug onto someone for her life, but couldn't as she was all alone in that quite hotel room. She mumbled to herself, "So you wanted this from the very start.... Fine! That's how it'll be then! I'll fulfill your dream, Father" smiled weakly at a distance. She passed the days and nights in a daze. She didn't pick up any calls or reply to anyone's texts.

A few days later.
The day of her appointment with the Governor. She woke up early to her alarm and called her lawyer to tell him where she would pick him up on the way.

At the Governor's office.
The Governor welcomed them warmly and offered them seats and also some drinks with some snacks. Crossing her legs, Joanne informed him, "You know that I don't like these formalities. Let's just get started, shall we!". The Governor cleared his throat and straightened himself in his chair, "Really, I'm in awe to see you here today. I never thought we'd get to meet again!". She mockingly smiled at him shakind her head, "You really underestimate me a lot. Anyways, (clearing her throat) I have something for you" and gave him a laptop with something displayed on it. Seeing it his eyes grew big and started sweating. He suddenly started shouting, "What's this? Are you trying to threaten me? I'll-". He was cut off by her, "Uh-uh! No way! Don't try to throw tantrums, else I'll just upload all those on the web. Everyone will see your real face! Just one click and BOOM! You're gruesome secrets will be exposed worldwide. Do you want that? Then, fine! Mr. Lawyer, upload it now". He started panicking, "No! Please NO! Please calm down! Anything you want, just say it!". Joanne giggled greedily, "Attaboy! ....(glancing at her lawyer) Give him the paper". He handed over the property papers of the building she had just obtained from Mr. Bose. The nervous governor read through the paper and asked, "What do I have to do?". She replied, "I wanna make my own new organisation, like the last one. And I need your approval for it". He stared blankly at her for a while and mumbled, "O-one more?!" and gulped. "Why? You'll profit from this too. (smiling) So much of your headache will be reduced!...Aaaand you don't even have any other options, right?". He snapped out of it, "Y-yes! I'll definitely give you the certificate! Where do I have to sign?" and just then the lawyer passed another set of papers to him. The Governor, terrified, fidgeting with the papers, signed quickly. Verifying everything, her lawyer nodded at her and she took the laptop from the table and stood up to leave. While walking out, she waved back, "Thanks for your cooperation! Hope not to meet again!" and left with her lawyer close behind her.

[ Italics: Characters used Bengali language there]