More Than Meets The Eye -2-

Start from the beginning

Something was wrong today – already.

Jenna’s eyes were nervous, uneasy and they looked terribly unsettled. She also seemed . . . wary and edgy. Like something was going to happen. Just the hunched posture of her shoulders sent waves of worry down Autumn’s spine.

But then again, before every Season Finale it was incredibly hard to act it all out perfectly and being the lead female character, Jenna probably had the worst case of nerves.

“Yep, I’m ready,” Autumn replied and fixed any loose curls she could find. She rose carefully, trying not to tread on her dark violet dress with a poofy skirt that was all too much for Autumn herself.

As soon as they were on set, there were backstage hands ushering them into the large school building they were using to shoot in and it took all Autumn had not to punch the faces of the annoying arms and hands that nudged her forward.

“Okay, we’re fine,” Autumn reassured in a strained voice, a vein throbbing on her neck. “You can go now.” The stage hands gave her a disapproving look yet obeyed and scattered. “God they’re annoying,” she muttered and checked herself over again in a nearby mirror. Next to the mirror was the snack table. “Jen, you hungry?”

Jenna looked down at her dress then back at the snack table worriedly. “I don’t know Autumn . . . this dress took ages for your mum to make and she only had time to make one of a kind. I can’t risk getting food on it.”

Autumn shrugged. “Noelle could always fix it for you.”

“Where is your nanny anyways?” Jenna questioned as her co-star surreptitiously made her way over to the snack table. So far nobody had noticed her . . .

“She didn’t want to face the wrath of my after-rant,” Autumn told her. With a quick lunge, a muffin was in her hand. In two minutes flat, she had wolfed down the large muffin and was rubbing her tummy happily. “Want one?”

“Autumn, Jenna, Opal! You’re on!” the director called, frowning at the empty muffin paper in Autumn’s hand. “What are you doing?”

“I found this on the table,” she said quickly and left it there, wiping her mouth and was relieved to find no crumbs. “Sorry Jamie.”

“Quickly,” he said, speaking into a small microphone attached to a headset perched on his wild greying black curls.

The two actresses were ushered on set in front of the camera where they would start off the scene, placed directly in front of the camera at certain angles. After a while of fussing over their positions, the director had finally yelled out his famous word. “Action!”

“Finally here!” Opal squealed after a signalling gesture from Jamie, snapping straight into character. “Aww, Hailey you can’t help but speak now – right?”

Autumn shrugged in response to her character’s name, feigning shyness and rubbed her arm. Her eyes avoided her friends’ speculating gazes and almost looked into the camera if it wasn’t for the fact that nobody was supposed to look back into the cameras directly. “I guess not?”

Jenna’s face broke into a smile. “Right girls! Our dates should have finished parking their car by now . . .” She held her chin high and smiled dazzlingly at the passersby who entered the gym that they stood outside of. “Where are they?”

Autumn shrugged. “Lora, calm down they’ll –”

“Adam!” Autumn broke out into a shy smile as she scuttled away from her friends to hug her character’s boyfriend, Adam Howie played by Will Lance. “Do you . . . do you want to go inside?”