34

The heat kissed my face as I sat close to the fire. It was already dark out, and the only thing that kept it semi-bright was the fire pit we had set up. Everyone sat around the small fire, except for Alfred and Ivan, who were by the grill barbecuing. Antonio and Michelle sat beside me, and Francis, Gilbert, and Kiku sat on the other side of the pit. Adnan and Matthew sat beside each other near them. We were all in a circle, so we sat near each other.

I was holding a stick in the fire with a marshmallow. Mostly everyone was drinking, and it seemed like we were all getting tired, so there was not a lot of horse playing. "So, what is the performance going to be?" I asked. Michelle, Francis, and Matthew looked at me, and they all began to laugh. If only Yao were here, neither of us would be close to him.

"Ah! You know we can't say what it is!" Michelle rolled her eyes. "What? Not even a hint?" I laughed. I nudged her a little, and she smiled. "No! We can't say anything!" Francis butt in. I looked over at him, and he looked at me, annoyed. "Don't worry; you will find out soon enough," she smiled at me. "I look forward to it, and I'm sure you will give it the right touch," I smiled.

Okay, I might have been flirting a little. It was hilarious seeing how mad Francis got. Maybe he liked her? It was like he was jealous or something. "Yes! You all will be sitting front and center!" She added. "Perfect! I will get a good view of you all," I smiled.

"ARTHUR, COME HERE!" Alfred called. I looked up, and both Ivan and he looked nervous. "Sorry, excuse me, love," I spoke, annoyed. I stood up, and I saw how Francis also followed behind. "What happened?" I asked. "How does this look? Would you still eat it?" He held up sausage, and my eyes widened. "That is supposed to be sausage?" I asked. How did he burn it so wrong?

I know my cooking was not good, but what the fuck?

"Alfred! Ivan! Get away before I lose my mind, and we lose more sausage!" Francis demanded. "How did that happen?" I asked. "We got distracted talking!"

"That distracted?"

"Sorry," Alfred laughed.

Francis took the tongs, and Alfred and Ivan moved. "Thank you! Now we can sit down and drink!" They both cheered. Seriously? So they did it on purpose to switch? "Idiots, I'm going back!" I spoke. I began to walk, but Ivan stopped me. "No! You have to wait and help Francis!"

"I think he'd rather anyone else's help!"

"Oh, please! You just have to watch, and you don't need to touch anything!" Alfred begged.

I looked to Francis, who just shrugged. "It's fine with me, just don't touch anything," he laughed. "Ugh! Fine then," I spoke. Ivan and Alfred fist-pumped each other, and ran off. Everyone was a reasonable distance away, chatting, listening to music, and drinking. While Francis and I were fifteen feet away, in the dark, watching the food.

I pulled up one of my lawn chairs and watched him. "I'm not that terrible at cooking...I know a few things," I started. "Yeah, I'm sure you do, but I don't want to test that theory," he joked. I rolled my eyes and kicked his foot. "Adnan has been quite persistent lately," Francis started. I lifted a brow and looked across the way. Adnan was staring at us. "Yeah, I don't know why Alfred does not get the hint that I don't want him around," I explained. "You know Alfred, he will make sure everyone feels included," Francis laughed.

"Yeah, what a Yankee," I laughed. "But really, I think the vibes Adnan has been giving lately are creepier than usual," Francis added. I'm sure I could put that together! Adnan threatened me, and we both have been on thin ice. "Maybe, he doesn't like how close we are now," I started. I continued to watch Adnan from a distance. "Ah? So we are closer? Don't make me blush," he laughed. He was pretending to be touched by what I said.

"I thought that, honestly. It just seems like he stares at us all the time. Then I feel like I can't be myself around you," he started. "You haven't?" I laughed. He smiled, looking at the food, and shook his head. "Not as much as I'd want," he smiled. I looked at him, and my feelings started to get to my head.

I did like him, but I wasn't sure how he felt. I was getting vibes that he liked Michelle. Maybe I should ask? "How do you feel about Michelle?" I started. He stopped what he was doing and looked at me seriously. "She is nice; why do you ask?" He asked. He looked at me and smiled. "Do you like her or something?" He asked. "Yes! I want to sleep with her!" I laughed.

I wasn't serious.

"Don't say such things!" He spoke. "Oh, I'm only joking!" I laughed. He shook his head at me and grabbed a plate; he took the food off and began to place it on the plate. "Here, eat something; it's been a long day," he smiled. He handed me the plate, and I slowly took it. "Fine, I will eat it, but I was joking; I don't want to sleep with her, just in case you were worried about that," I explained. I did not want him to think I was again coming for his love interest.

"Oh, well, that's good."

"Hmm? Does that mean you like her? You two are very close at work."

"Ah! No, she and I are just good friends, nothing more."

He smiled at me, and I began to eat the food on the plate. "So, what will the performance be?" I asked. "Ah, so impatient! You will find out soon enough!" He laughed. "I guess..."