14

As everyone left that night, Francis made sure to stop me. "Let's have a little chat," he smiled. It was not sweet, though; it was terrifying and seemed like he was going to murder me if I did not start talking. "Okay..." I spoke nervously.

Alfred, Antonio, and Adnan left a separate way from Francis and I since we lived in opposite directions. Francis lived closer to me. Matthew stayed to help Gilbert clean, but I was sure he would spend the night there. I think everyone could agree that they are together but have not said anything to anyone yet.

"So, I'm not an idiot; what happened? What really happened?"

"Ah, getting to it already?"

"Cut the crap and just tell me!"

We continued to walk beside each other, and I watched how the hot air left his lips. It was still cold outside. He had his hair up as usual, and his cheeks were red. "If I tell you, I know you will want to punch me."

"I feel that way every day I see your stupid face; now tell me!"

"Fine... I just want to start by saying sorry. You warned me about what could happen, and I still pressured you into going. On top of that, I was not present with you the whole time... then when I was present with you, I think things got out of hand... then I tried to watch you more, but even then it was not enough," I started. He did not say anything, and I felt like shit.

We continued to walk, and I began to see snow start to fall. "Is that why you had the bruise and bandage on your hand?" He asked. His face was serious, and he did not look at me. I looked down at my hand, which was nearly healed, besides a few spots. "Yeah, I punched him in the face... he tried to scare me, but he isn't that convincing... he has been trying to scare me, but he has not succeeded," I explained.

He suddenly stopped and then looked at me. "You punched him? And scared him away?" He asked, shocked. "Yeah! Even tonight, he tried to threaten me, but it was pointless, he thinks I'm an idiot, but I have the upper hand," I said, annoyed. Francis suddenly grabbed my right hand and looked at it. "What?" I asked, confused. He squeezed my hand and then pushed it away.

"How far did he get?"

"Not far; just took off your pants, but that was it."

"I hate you so much!"

There it is...

Francis pushed me away, and I could see tears coming out of his eyes. "I know you do. Can we just go home? You can slap me when we are closer to my apartment," I spoke. He began to glare at me, and surely enough, he did slap me. "Hey!"

"Shut up for a second!"

I looked at him, confused, and he began to pull me. "Arthur, I have been trying to be nicer to you, but I can't do it anymore!"

This was him being nice? Jeez, I feel bad for his girlfriend.

"Look, I said I was sorry, and I am! Why else would I not tell you right away? I was trying to find a way to break it to you! I knew you would be mad at me, and I know it was my fault. Can we just stop for a second?!" I pulled my wrist away and glared at him. "You dickhead, donkey, airhead asshole! You stupid idiot jerk! You Rat! You scum! I HATE YOU! This is your fault!"

He began to push me around, and I let him. He had every right to. I was surprised that he could come up with so many insults with his terrible English. "You have an entire life to be an idiot. Why not take today off?!"

"Don't worry, the first forty years of childhood are always the hardest! You stupid imbecile!" He continued, and I nodded. "Did the mental hospital test too many drugs on you when you were a child?" He added. "If I wanted to kill myself, I would climb to your ego and jump to your IQ!" He added. I felt myself starting to laugh and saw how his tears went away. "You are proof that evolution can go in reverse."

I finally laughed at what he said, and he looked at me, shocked. Francis rolled his eyes and started to laugh too. "I'd say you're 'dumb as a rock,' but at least a rock can hold a door open," he laughed. I shook my head at him and smiled slightly. "I know you hate me for many reasons, but do you think you can forgive me on this one thing?" I asked.

He rolled his eyes at me, and we both began to walk again. "Were you born this stupid, or did you take lessons?" He asked. "For the sake of this conversation, I took lessons! It was a class I took in college called 'how to annoy a French person,' very informative," I laughed.

"I forgive you... since I know you did not take me seriously and probably thought I was exaggerating, but I am still going to be mad at you for a while," he spoke. "Eh, what's new?" I laughed. He looked at me, annoyed, and looked forward.

"Please just tell me you don't plan to home-school your kids!"

"Don't try to think too hard. You're so stupid it might sprain your brain from coming up with all of these," I laughed.

"You're living proof it's possible to live without a brain."

"Remember that time you were saying that thing I didn't care about? Yeah, that is now."

"Oh, you don't like being treated the way you treat me? That must suck," Francis said, annoyed. I rolled my eyes, and he shook his head at me. "Keep rolling your eyes; you might eventually find a brain," he laughed.

I hate him so much.