29

"How do you even know my birthday?" I asked.

"Ah, I have always known; I have known you for a long time, after all."

"I see..."

I began to drink my wine, and he suddenly stood up. "Nothing too crazy, but I got you something," He spoke. My eyes widened, and I looked at him, confused. "You got me something? But why? Why spend money?!" I spoke, shocked. Was he that serious about wanting to redo our relationship? I will do it, too, and try my best, but it seems like he has been thinking about this for a while. "I didn't spend any money, and it is something I have had for a while and thought you would like. It is one of my prized possessions, so promise to take care of it?" He explained. He was blushing and looked down to his feet.

"Are you sure? Should you give it to me if it is a prized possession?"

"Of course, You are the only person I know who would be able to appreciate it as much as I do."

Francis nervously walked toward his sofa and started to dig through the cushions. "Is the gift your sofa lint?" I laughed. "No!" He laughed. He smiled brightly and suddenly showed me a wrapped box. I stood up and looked at him as he handed me the gift. "What is it?" I asked. He rolled his eyes at me and shook his head. "How about you open it and find out!" He mocked playfully. I lifted a brow and started to unwrap it slowly. The item was a little heavy.

I finally opened the top part and noticed the cover looked red. Was it a book? I quickly took the rest of the paper off, and my eyes widened, seeing what it was.

"WHAT? I can not take this; this is.. this is too much!"

"YES, YOU WILL BECAUSE IT WOULD BE RUDE IF YOU DO NOT!"

"This is probably worth a fortune!"

"I know, it is... but I have only read it once, and I know you will appreciate it more than I ever could."

I was too stunned to speak. "That is not even the best part! open it up!" He smiled. I did as he told and I nearly fainted. The book had the signature of Arthur Conan Doyle. This book had to be worth thousands. It was the book "a study in scarlet." It was the first book to show Sherlock Holmes.

"I do not think I should take it."

"I want you to!"

"How did you? When? WHAT THE HELL!?" I was in shock as I held the book in my hand. I was terrified even to hold this. "Ah, long story short! I found it at a second-hand store a couple of years back. I think the person who donated it had no clue what they had. I never told anyone I had it and just kept it because it was a really good story. However, I overheard you looking for new books the other day but felt like you had read everything. So I had the great idea to give it to you. See! I did not spend much on it! So you do not need to worry!" Despite his explanation, I hesitated to take the book from him.

He pushed the book closer to me and smiled. "I trust you will love it as much as I have grown to love it over the years. It would make me happy if you accepted it," He smiled at me. My jaw dropped, and I looked down at the book I was holding in my hands. I looked back up to Francis and to his stupid smile. I am not a materialistic person at all.

I do not get feelings for someone when they give me gifts. I did not want to consider myself a materialistic person. However, this gesture caused me to fall head over heels for him. I stared at him for so long and knew what I felt. I fell in love with him within five minutes.

I held onto my forehead, and he looked at me, concerned. "Are you okay? Do you need to sit?" He asked. I nodded, and he quickly pulled me to the sofa. I continued to stare off with this weird realization. We are supposed to fight! Hate each other! How is this possible? "What is wrong?" He asked. I looked over at him slowly, and he was grinning.

"I think I may have realized something troublesome..." I began.

He began smirking at me, and I looked at him, confused. " What? have you fallen in love with me?" He asked. My eyes widened, and I felt livid.

I KNEW IT WAS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE! THIS BASTARD WAS DOING THIS TO MAKE A FOOL OUT OF ME. "EHHH?! LOVE? WITH YOU? I can not even look at you without wanting to puke!"

I stood up, and he looked at me, confused. "I will accept your gift this time! But next time, you will not be able to pull a fast one on me! You cheese-eating bastard!" I yelled. He looked at me, confused, and I quickly went to grab my things. "Have fun moving your stupid furniture alone!" I added. "Arthur, wait! I thought we were getting along?" He tried to stop me.

"Do not ARZUUUUR ME!" I mocked his accent. "Good day to you, sir! And if I reckon you were not a complete and utter Twat, you will do everyone the honor of pissing off, mate!"

"Arthur, you are using British slang again."

"YOU! YOU! uphill Gardner! You must have lost the plot! You Slag, Manky Prat, Lazy sod! You are like a dog with two dicks! You must be madder than a bag of Ferrets, MATE!"

"Uh? What?!"

"GOOOOOOOD DAY TO YOU! SIR!"

I flipped him off, and he looked very concerned.

I do not need this! This is the last time I get wrapped up in a vulnerable situation again! Especially with that ass-hat named Francis. I ought to kill him!