31

May 15, 2022

"ATTENTION, EVERYONE! I HAVE NEWS!"

The office went silent as Mr. Vargas stood on a chair to get everyone's attention. "As most of you know! Our firm participated in the yearly fundraiser for Skin Cancer Awareness month. As some of you know, the money is donated to charities in the States, and we help sponsor some of the events."

This was not new to me, and we did this every year. "However, there are slightly different changes this year. The Macmillan Cancer Support charity center will invite many American bidders this year. They are asking for a group of volunteers from each sponsor to perform for some of the older patients and donors. We need four people! Before anyone makes any decisions, I must warn that what will be done has already been picked out and will be discussed with the volunteers."

"AND! Now is the time for questions!" Vargas breathed out, tired. A bunch of my coworkers raised their hands and started asking questions. "Yes! How long does the performance have to be? And why a performance?"

"Ah! Good Question, Alfred! So, the performance will be five minutes max, and they are choosing to do this because they want more people to come to the event. We will need other volunteers to help run the booth and a few more volunteers to help assist anyone else. Anyone who has worked here long knows that the charity event is mandatory, and everyone must participate. Whether with what is up to you!" Vargas smiled.

"Does that answer your question?"

"Yes!"

"Any more questions?"

"Yes! What other things do people need to volunteer for?" Michelle asked. Vargas looked at his sheet of paper and began to read it off. "So, the performers, two booth people, they need help with the relay race, they need a few to look over people... it is kind of like a security thing, but not really. It is more of a civil servant thing! The performance is the last thing to happen, so if whoever decides to perform, they can choose if they want to help with other things," Vargas explained.

"OH! And we need a few other people to help with the After-party stuff. Arthur is usually in charge of that, and he usually needs about four people to help. Arthur, do you still want to do that?"

All eyes turned to me, and I nodded. "Yeah! I can use my plans from the year before, and it saves time."

"Great! Now! You all have to sign up now! It is first come, first serve!" He smiled. Everyone looked horrified, and I wanted to laugh. I already have my job!

"Okay, let me just move real quick not to get trampled! Kiku, come over here, please!" Vargas laughed. Kiku quickly walked over to him and helped him off the chair. "Okay! You all can sign up now!" He cheered.

Everyone immediately ran to sign up in the slips, and I stepped aside, watching everyone push each other. "They are like animals!" I laughed. I looked to Francis, who managed to get himself out of there.

Once the chaos cleared, Vargas walked over and looked at the sheets. "Haha, I knew this would happen! I came prepared!" He laughed evilly. Everyone looked at him, confused, and he took a jar out of his bag. "THIS HAS ALL OF YOUR NAMES! SOMEONE WILL DO THE PERFORMANCE, AND I WILL VOLUNTEER YOU!" He laughed.

Everyone looked horrified, and I began to laugh. "Before I pick, is there anyone who wants to take one for the team?" Vargas asked. The room was silent, and he continued to smile. "Good! It makes this more fun!"

How was he nice and scary?

He took the lid of the jar off and began to shove his hand in to pick out a slip. "ALRIGHT! The first name is....."

The room was tense.

I looked over to Francis, who looked very concerned. It made me want to laugh. Thank god I dodged a bullet this year. "MATTHEW!" Vargas cheered. Alfred began to laugh, and I held my hand to my mouth as I watched Matthew's shocked expression. "Now for the next!" Vargas smiled. He shuffled the slips around and took out another.

"Michelle!"

"NO!" She cried. We all laughed, and Vargas began to fish for another name. "The third is Yao!" He laughed. Everyone turned to Yao, who looked horrified. He was always to himself and was anti-social. "Don't worry," Ivan tried to comfort him. However, he just looked horrified. "Now for the final name! This is so exciting!"

Everyone was silent, and I knew my name could still be called. I doubt I would get picked.

"And the last person issssssss...."

"Isssssssssssss....."

"Issssssssssss.....!"

"Ugh! Just say it already," Michelle spoke.

"Francis!"

My eyes widened, and I turned to Francis with a grin on my face. His eyes widened, and he looked at me, shocked. "The four of you meet me in my office in an hour, and I will tell you what the performance is! And the charity is on June 12! " Vargas cheered.

Vargas left, and everyone began to chat with each other. I quickly walked over to Francis and started to point at him laughing. "Looks like now you will get the attention you always wanted!" I teased. He rolled his eyes at me and nudged me. "Well, this sucks!" He spoke.

"What did you try to sign up for anyway?" I asked.

"The after-party, I wanted to help you," he spoke.

I laughed at what he said and rolled my eyes. "Thank god! Now I don't have to see your dumb face nearly every night!" I laughed. "Yeah! How great!"

"I can't wait to see what all of you do! I'm looking forward to it," I smiled. I slapped his back, and he glared at me. Thank god we won't work together too much; now I don't have to worry about Adnan coming for me.

That stalker, he can't take no for an answer.