21

"So you didn't do your meetings last month, and now you have to do double, and since I'm the only one that has meetings at the beginning of the month, you have come to me?" Francis repeated. He looked so done with me, but I was freaking out. "Yes! Please! I need five meetings! At least for now!" I spoke sadly. "Hmm? I have about ten this week; just come to all of them," he said, annoyed. "All of them?" I asked, shocked. "Yes! Might as well get this month out of the way too!" He spoke.

"What? I don't even have a say?"

"You lost that privilege from constantly slacking!"

"Hey! I'm not usually like this! I have just been preoccupied lately!" I said, annoyed. I was preoccupied watching Adnan. I guess I was paranoid. "I know, but it is annoying to see you have to cram everything in one week," he rolled his eyes. "Okay fine, I'll go with you this week; what is the schedule?" I asked. He began to shuffle through his bag, and I watched as he blew the hair out of his face. I observed him carefully as he pushed some more hair behind his ear.

I felt my face getting hot as I watched him. He was not doing anything particular to make me feel this way.

"Ah! Here it is!" He smiled. Francis pulled out the piece of paper and looked at me. He looked confused, and I tried to look away. "What's wrong?" He asked. "Ah! Nothing! Thank you!" I smiled, taking the paper. I looked at it and saw that he had two meetings back to back every day till Friday. "No way," I said sadly. "Don't worry! Look, most of them are only dealing with taxes; those meetings don't take longer than twenty minutes. The only big ones are today, tomorrow, and Friday! They are with the same people."

"Same people?"

"Ah... it is a long story; you will understand why there needs to be three sessions when we go after lunch," he spoke nervously. I looked at him, confused, and continued to look at the names. It was a married couple, Roderich and Elizabeth, and it says they have been trying to separate their assets after getting divorced. WHOA! Does a lawyer have to be present? This must be a big deal.

"Let's have lunch together today."

"What? But why?"

"Why not? It's been a while since the two of us have talked alone."

"Eh? Why do you care about that all of a sudden?"

"Well, I am considering being your friend, but if you don't want to, we don't have to."

"Huh?! No, we can!"

I did not necessarily want to be closer to him. I just wanted to grow that mutual respect. Also, I did not want him to kill me if he found out about Antonio and me. "Great, I'll see you in a bit; let's sit outside again," he smiled. He waved at me, and my heart began to beat faster. I watched him walk away, and I slowly held onto my chest. Why is my chest aching?

~
When lunch came around, Francis and I met in secret. We both sat on the ledge of that wall again, and I began to open my drink. "Arthur, what's happened to us? We have grown soft on each other," Francis spoke sadly. "Speak for yourself; I have not gotten soft," I laughed. He nudged me and smiled. "Wait, are you saying you have gotten soft with me?" I asked. He smiled at me and shrugged his shoulders. "Eh, not entirely; I still want to punch you every day."

"Aww, you have grown soft, be careful; I might think you like me."

"Oh, shut up; I just figured we are older now. A lot of what happened between us happened when we were kids. Maybe it's time we move on. Especially me?" He suggested.

My eyes widened at what he said, and he placed a hand on my thigh. I felt my body tense up, and I knew my face was getting red. "How about it? Let's call a truce?"

A truce? Was he serious?

I looked down at his hand and grabbed it. "As if," I smirked. His eyes widened, and I placed a hand on his thigh. "You are such an idiot!" I smiled. "Eh?" He gasped. He suddenly got flustered and looked all around nervously. "What is it?" I asked.

I forced him to look at me and stared into his eyes. Something about this felt so wrong but so right. I felt myself coming closer to him, and he was frozen in place.

"You have very pretty eyes," I spoke. He did have very pretty eyes.

I suddenly stopped as I realized what I had said. I looked at him nervously and knew my face was probably showing how unnerved I was feeling.

I pulled away from him and glared. "Yeah, for a frog! Idiot!" I laughed. He looked at me confused and began to pull at my hair. "Honestly, you are such a child!" He spoke. Francis rolled his eyes, and I began to eat my food.

Sheesh, that was a close one! It was like my body moved on its own. I need to get it together! "So, does that mean we are on a truce?" Francis asked again. I looked over at him and smiled again. "I will think about it, and you might have to give me a pros and cons list," I laughed.

"A pros and cons list?"

"Yes! They are very informative!"

"Yeah, what a loser!" He laughed.

We both had suddenly gotten quiet and just ate our food in silence. "You want some of this?" He asked. "Sure," I spoke. We had started to try each other's food. His food tasted way better than mine, and I doubt my food would be able to make him as satisfied as he did me. "How about I cook for you one day? What do you say?" He asked. "Hmm? Ah, well, I do not see why not," I spoke. Silence filled the air again, and it was not bad at all. It felt rather nice and natural.