30

"Are you okay? You seem to have been on edge the past few days," Alfred spoke. The three of us had gotten together on my birthday as planned. "Yes! I am fine, and just a lot has been going through my mind lately," I explained. "Hmm? Like what?" Matthew asked. I placed my hands on my head and shrugged. "I don't know; I feel like an idiot; I think I might look for another job," I explained. I had been thinking about it since the other night. "What? Do you want to quit? And go where?" Alfred asked. "I don't know, maybe to live in France for a bit? Get a certification and teach English," I spoke.

"What? But why?"

"It's hard to explain..."

"Well, we are here to listen!" Matthew spoke. "Well, if I'm going to be completely honest, I feel like my life is going nowhere. I want to get married and start a family, I'm still single, and I have not met anyone," I spoke. They both looked at me sadly, and I began to eat my food slowly. "Well! Wherever you decide to go or do, we will be here to support you!" Matthew smiled. "Yeah! Even if it makes me sad!" Alfred cried. I smiled at both of them and grabbed their hands.

"So when will you start to look for jobs? Or have you been looking?"

"I'm not sure yet; I think the first step is to figure out what I want to do."

"I hope it works out then," Alfred smiled. I think I just needed to get away for a bit. I was so lucky to have friends who supported me. I want to meet someone already, and it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with slightly having feelings for Francis. I'm not that much of a twat.

~
As I made my way home that night, I noticed someone standing near my front door. It was hard to see who, but I continued to walk closer. The figure turned to me, and my eyes widened. "Hello?" I called.

It was Adnan.

I glared at him and began to take my keys out. "What do you want?" I asked. I began to unlock my door, and I glared at him. "What did I say about flirting with Francis?" He asked. "What? I have not been flirting with him!" I yelled. I went into my home, and he immediately shoved himself through. "That's not what I heard today at work! He said you went over to move furniture!"

That idiot! Why would he blab his mouth?

"And we did just that!" I lied. Well, at least Francis didn't tell the whole truth. "Can you get out of my house?" I asked, annoyed. Adnan closed the door behind him and pushed me. "What is your deal?! I told you nothing happened!" I yelled. "I don't believe you!" He hissed. He pushed me again, and this time the force knocked me down.

"Have some respect! You are in my house!" I yelled. I stood up and began to roll up my sleeves. "Francis is mine! I don't need you making him get ideas!"

"Me? You are a harasser, Nothing you do will make him love you!" I yelled. He tried to punch me in the face, but luckily I dodged it. I punched him in the jaw, and he looked at me, shocked.

"He and I have nothing to do with each other! In fact! I'm going to be quitting soon! So you can suck it!" I yelled. He made me so angry!

He glared at me and suddenly grabbed me by my shirt. He lifted me, and my eyes widened. My feet were not on the ground anymore. "Let go!" I yelled. "You annoy me so much!" He yelled. I tried to push him away, but he was holding me tight. "If I find out you are trying anything! I will come for you!" He threatened.

Adnan threw me to the floor, and I held onto my side in pain. "What is your deal?" I asked. He looked down at me and glared. "You are!" He spoke. Adnan then walked out of my house.

"I need to find another job," I spoke. I stood up from where I was and went to lock the door that he left wide open. "I'm getting too old for this." I was starting to talk to myself again.

I took off my shoes, and suddenly I felt my phone vibrate. I slowly took out my cell phone and looked for the unsaved phone number. "Happy Birthday; let's do something together next year, or maybe sooner?" It read.

I opened my phone and stared at the message. I knew the number was from Francis... I just had not bothered to save his number. I felt a smile spread on my face, and I began to edit his contact. I edited his name to "frog face" with a frog emoji and a heart.

So maybe I was a little into him?

It would not be so bad if no one knew. It will be my little secret. The secret unrequited love that I will bury deep down in my heart. I smiled at his message and decided to answer him.

"Not a chance."

I sent the message with a winking emoji. I laughed at myself for the unmistakable hint of flirting. He must be confused about why I ran off the other day. I am still confused about it too. I want to believe that he was being sweet to me because he wanted to. However, a part of me worried he was only doing it to make a fool out of me. I had a few trust issues, but I think I might need more effort from him to show that I can trust him enough to tell him I have feelings for him.

That sweet enemy of mine...

It was starting to become sweeter as the days passed.

"At least you acknowledge my text; thank you, Arthur."

He wrote back and sent a bunch of kisses and hearts. "Nope... I'll need more convincing than that!" I spoke to myself.