Chapter Two

Running, that's all I thought about. I was running away from something terrifying, but I wouldn't look back to glance at it. I only knew my instinct and my gut told me to "just keep running." I ran for what seemed like forever when a heard a voice call out to me, "you can't run forever Laiya"

-----------------------------------------------------∞-----------------------------------------------------

I woke up panting, and sweaty from my nightmare. My nightmare was an a constant cycle. No matter what I would always be running, but this was the first time there was someone who talked to me. Strange, I thought. 

I looked over at my clock and saw that I had about three hours till my flight. I decided that it was now or never to get ready. 

I decided to wear my cut I LOVE NY shirt, jean shorts, and my signature combat boots. I let my long black hair be natural since I was going to be on a plane most of the day. I added my plain black eyeliner, mascara, and pink lipgloss to my lips. I figured I wouldn't need to be overly dressy. 

I walked out of my apartment and down to my landlord's apartment; I tentatively knocked on the door. My landlord, Mrs. Nelson, greeted me with a smile. 

"Laiya, what a nice surprise! I wasn't expecting any company today." She smiled such a sweet smile that I almost couldn't leave her. Mrs. Nelson motioned me to get inside since the weather was of course not meant for jean shorts. 

She gave me a cup of coffee with the perfect amount of cream and sugar which made my heart clench at the thought that I was leaving. "So dear, what did you come down here for?"

"Mrs. Nelson, I was offered an amazing position as an apprentice for a famous photographer. However I have to leave today to California, and I know it's short notice. I just hate doing this to you after everything you've done for me.." I rambled, but she soon lifted her hand to stop me.

"Laiya, don't apologize. You're following your dreams like I've always pushed you to do. Don't worry about me or the apartment, Seattle is a very populated city I'm sure I'll get another tenant. I just want you to be happy with wherever life takes you," she said. I could feel my heart breaking at her kind words. Mrs. Nelson helped me in my desperate time of need, and she was my only family.

"Thank you so much! I have to leave for my flight, but I'll call as soon as I land." I got up quickly to leave, but I turned around and hugged Mrs. Nelson. I could feel her shock as I have never hugged her before, but she quickly hugged me back. I pulled back and could see the tears in her eyes.

"Go. Be the amazing person you deserve to be child." I kissed her cheek and mumbled thank you before stepping outside to go back to the apartment I once called my home. I was ready for this. I needed this. I just hoped I could really do this.

-----------------------------------------------------∞-----------------------------------------------------

I stepped off of the plane with my carry-on, still blasting Imagine Dragons, and slipped on my sunglasses. I texted Adam that I had just landed then I hurriedly walked to grab my luggage.

I heard the soft ping of my text and checked my iPhone. 

"Glad you made it safely! I’m holding a sign just like in the movies(;

-Adam"

I heard myself chuckle, and felt at ease being in a completely different state of mind than when I had left. I grabbed my bags, and turned around to look for a bald guy with a sign that had my name on it. 

I glanced to my left and saw him holding a sign with my name scrawled across it. A big smile spread across my face as I walked up to him. 

"Adam?" I questioned making sure I wasn't making a fool of myself. 

"Laiya! I'm so glad you could come on short notice! This is gonna be a blast," Adam exclaimed. He was really hyper for some odd reason. 

"Of course, there's no place I rather be! Thank you so much for the oppurtunity Adam. It means alot to me." I gave him a genuine smile, and hug. We walked out to his car, which is a really NICE car, and I felt glad I put my shades on early due to the fact the sun was beating down on us. We got in and left the airport.

"So Laiya, the tour doesn't start for another week however I needed to get you here as soon as possible to run through everything with you. We're going to be with the guys the entire tour which is about two months long than depending how you do... We'll leave off on another tour. I live a hectic life, so you need to get used to living out of a suitcase," he said with a grin on his face. I could tell he was a nice guy, and really passionate about his work. I hoped I wouldn't let him down.

"That works for me. I don't have anything holding me back, so I'm ready to go full-force at this with you." I felt myself become completely relaxed with him. I still had my walls up, but I knew that I was going to enjoy my time with my mentor. 

"Great! So, we can run to my house and you can chill in my guest bedroom. You can rest and sleep off your jetlag, but in the morning we have to go meet the guys," he explained. 

"Okay, thank you. Um, may I ask, who's the singers or bands that we'll be on tour with?" I felt like a moron for not knowing, but it didn't matter to me who it was as long as I had a purpose.

"Oh, right! Well, we're mainly focusing on Of Mice & Men however we'll take pictures of the supporting bands Woe Is Me, Memphis May Fire, and Bring Me The Horizon." I could see how excited he was, so I felt that I should play up the excitement card with him.

"Wow, sounds like a great line-up.Did you, uh, tell them you had an apprentice? I mean I don't want to just pop up and them be like 'what the hell dude."

"Don't even worry about it! The guys will love you! I've worked with all of the bands before, and they're super awesome guys! I already told them I had a new face to bring with me, and they're definitely going to warm up to you," he said with a wink. 

"Well, rad. I'm siked." I was being completely honest with him. I couldn't wait to start this new life for myself. 

We pulled up to a modern apartment complex. I grabbed my carry-on bag and went to grab my suitcase when Adam beat me to the punch. We walked up to an elevator, him hitting the number 3 and I felt the elevator start whirring it's way up. I felt my eye lids become heavy as I leaned against the rails in the cart.

"You alright?" Adam asked with concern in his eyes.

"Yeah, just the jetlag is finally catching up with me," I said before a yawn escaped. I felt the elevator stop and I just went through the motions of getting to the door. I heard Adam explain where everything was, but my only concern was getting to the bed. Adama finally left me to be alone, and I set my bags down. I plugged in my phone charger and iPhone. I pulled off my boots and sunglasses. I laid down on the bed, and was soon consumed by sleep.