goodmornings and goodbyes

Y/n's POV

One would think that falling asleep at a table would mean waking up at that same table, but that's not the case for me.

Mechanical noises woke me up, but instead of feeling my face sticking to my arms or the table, I felt warm sheets and a pillow under my head.

Confused, I lifted my head up and rubbed my eyes, looking around noticing I was no longer in the lab. Instead, I was in another purple room, in some kind of pod-shaped bed. I had reasonably assumed this was Donnie's room, but if that's the case, then where is Donnie?

I slowly sat up, and hopped off the bed. I looked around and noticed an open door. I went to it and peeked through, seeing that this room was connected to Donnie's lab, and that Donnie was sitting at his desk, working on something.

Him being there wasn't surprising, but it was the fact that he not only looked like he barely slept, but also that he didn't have his battle shell on.

I watched him as he tried to work on something, but he also seemed to be unfocused and stuck in a trance, which was strange for him. Normally, he's fully sucked into his creations, not doing anything until they're completed.

I hesitated, but then I knocked lightly on the door frame. He jolted slightly, but looked and saw me.

He stared for a second before sighing and putting his tools down, turning to me. "Good morning y/n, how're you feeling?" He greeted and invited me inside the lab.

I smiled and stepped closer. "Tired, but fine. What time is it? And why did I wake up in your bed?" I inquired, asking the second question somewhat sheepishly.

"You finally looked peaceful while you were sleeping, like nothing was bothering you, so I picked you up and moved you, then I 'slept' in here. Oh, and it's like 6 in the morning."

He was so nonchalant with how he spoke, but for me, his action made my heart flutter. But I noticed something about him.

"Well, thanks, but more importantly, how long did you sleep? Did you sleep well? You don't look too well." I got a bit closer and closely examined his fatigue riddled features.

It seems however, that I may have gotten a tiny bit too close, because instead of answering me, Donnie just stared at my eyes, and I could've sworn I caught his gaze flickering down, then right back up at my eyes again.

After a few seconds of that, I sighed and moved away. "That's it. You're going to bed. Come on." Since he had been facing me, it was easy to gently grasp his wrist and pull him up from his chair.

He didn't object to my proclamation, and just followed me. Actually, he may have pulled me along as he went to his bed on his own.

When we got in front of his bed, he yawned, stretched, then looked at me. "Thanks y/n." He smiled, but before he got in bed he did something I was immensely unprepared for.

He moved the wrist I was holding, grabbed my hand, brought it up to his face, and bent down placing an almost non-existent kiss on my knuckles.

I knew it was because he was just tired and wasn't thinking straight, because he would normally never do anything like this, but damn. If he or anyone knew what that small of a gesture did to me, I'd be dead where I stand.