The Whole Truth

It had been a while since I read someone's mind, I tried not to do it often as it felt like an invasion of privacy. But, as I sat there and ate my pasta I tapped into the minds around me.

I can't believe he dumped me....

This cake is dry, so overpriced....

Is Bobo OK? I left him enough water for the day...

Maya better be getting good information out of him, she's had him for hours now...

There, that was the one. I searched through the waiter's memories to see what information he had. From what I could see there was a basement to this place, one that belonged to a group of wealthy men and women interested in the evolution of humanity. The restaurant was just a front for one of their many bases and it just happened to be the one Maya was working in.

Of course, in true cliche fashion, she did evil human experiments to find how to activate mutations and give her evil investors the power they desired. Well, it made sense why someone put a hit out on her then.

"Are you okay Ms. Gomez?" Peter asked as he stared at me. I gave him a smile, wiping my mouth.

"Yep," Seeing his empty plate I nodded at it, "Are you ready to go?"

"What? But we haven't even asked abou-" I coughed, cutting him off. He passed me my water quickly and I took it while glaring at him. As soon as he looked like he understood I took a sip of water.

Walking out of the restaurant I looked at Peter and realized that we needed to be careful about rescuing Wade. I couldn't let him get hurt, though he healed quickly. If I went in it meant exposing myself to a group of evil, rich people. But well, they had messed with the wrong bitch.

Not only were they experimenting on humans, they also hurt my best friend. So in return I would ruin them.

"Peter, would you like to stay at the tower tonight?"

His eyes widened comically and he gasped, "Really? Let me ask Aunt May, she's expecting me for dinner tonight. Wait, why?"

Chuckling, I answered, "It would be much safer than your apartment right now. Plus, there's a lot to discuss and it would be better to do it at a secure location."

Peter quickly nodded and went to make the call. In the meantime I wondered how I would explain what was going on to my soulmates. Well, I figured I would sneak Peter in, go talk to them and then somehow take down an evil organization.

Yep, that sounded like a plan.

* * *

As soon as we walked into Stark Tower FRIDAY immediately sounded throughout the lobby.

"Ms. Aliana, please report immediately to the penthouse. The master and his mates have been waiting for you."

"Fuuuuuck." I groaned. I turned to Peter and grasped his shoulders, his eyes wide and confused.

"Ms. Gomez, is everything ok?"

"No, no it isn't." I winced, "Look Peter, go to my floor immediately and wait for me there. Things, might get ugly in the penthouse."

"You live here?" I'm glad that was what he chose to focus on. I gave him my code and sent him up, then made my way to Tony's private elevator.

The elevator ride was the most nerve wracking experience of my life. Right up there with dying honestly. When the elevator opened I stepped out onto a deceptively happy looking penthouse. The sun was shining, the sky a perfect blue and by the bar there sat Tony and Loki nursing drinks. Glancing around I could see Steve and Bucky sitting on the couch not too far away.

"Hey, guys," I greeted, "What's up?" Nice, that was smooth. My voice didn't shake or anything, it was perfect. Apparently they did not agree. Tony slammed down the glass he had been drinking from while Loki chuckled.

"I believe the answer to that is the sky, is it not?" Wow, Loki sounded extra evil today. Needing to know where I was standing I sent him a telepathic message,

Did you tell them? About... us?

Loki gave me a sharp glance with a sadistic looking smile, "No Aliana, your secret still remains safe." Well, that plunged the room into an icy silence. Not being able to stand it, I cleared my throat.

"Ok, so I was totally going to tell y'all the truth yesterday but then I kinda had a minor freak out. The stress of things, I'm sure you understand. Then this morning when I was going to come back I found out my bff was kidnapped. Of course, I had to go investigate and found out that he had been kidnapped by an evil scientist. Then one thing lead to another and well...Now I'm here." There, I had told them the absolute truth of what had happened. They were just staring at me, a kind of hopeless look in their eyes.

Then Steve spoke up, "We spoke last night." Oh, that didn't sound good, "It was out of line for us to suddenly demand the truth from you. Just because we have feelings for you, it doesn't mean that you have to have feelings for us too. We didn't.... We didn't mean to push you so far."

"Wha-" I looked over at Loki, who just shrugged and kept drinking.

"I knew that you had a whole life outside of the Avengers," Bucky said, "You have a right to, of course. I knew you knew Wade and he's a great guy. It's just... you don't have to lie to us about him being kidnapped. I'm sorry we made you feel that way, you can go to whoever you want to for comfort."

"What? No, Wade was actually kidnapped. I'm not lying." They didn't say anything and kept staring down, not meeting my eyes.

No, absolutely not. I would not let them give up on me, not when I had just decided to tell them the truth, "Alright, y'all can stop with that sad look now. It's time you guys know the truth. Tony, Loki, stop acting like your wife just dumped you and come join us in the lounge."

I went and sat in a seat in front of where Steve and Bucky were. Soon, Loki and Tony came and sat on the same couch as their mates. I sighed and decided that if I was going to do this, I would do it right.

"Well," Loki said, "We're here. What do you want to tell us?" I glared at him, knowing damn well that he knew what I wanted to tell him.

"Alright, so let's start at the beginning. It's as good a place to start as any." Clearing my throat I sat up, "My name is Aliana Gomez. I was born on November 23 to unknown parents who left me at the hospital. After that, I grew up at the orphanage where I stayed till I was 14 years old. After that, I went to a boarding school, graduated at 18, then went to college."

I looked at them and seeing that they had said nothing yet I continued, "In college I met my best friend, Lily. We lived together since our first year and after graduation we moved in together. We even worked in the same hospital."

I chuckled, remembering all the chaos we got into but was interrupted by a question from Steve, "Hospital? What did you do there?"

"I was a nurse. Lily and I both worked in the neonatal area." I continued, "Lily was great, the only real bond I had was with her, I can't remember ever caring about anyone else. Then she met Amir, the love of her life and they got engaged."

"Were you jealous?" Bucky asked hesitatingly, "That she met her soulmate?"

I waited, thinking about the best way to answer him, "Not really, I mean I was so happy for her. The only thing was that I felt like I was losing her, it had just been me and her for so long. But Amir... He made her glow. I couldn't take that from her."

Then, knowing that I had stalled enough I said, "Though they weren't soulmates. You see, where I come from soulmates don't exist."

There was a gasp from the room, though since I wasn't looking at them anymore I wasn't sure who it came from. Though Loki was the one that said, "That's impossible. In all of my research, everyone in this universe has a soulmate."

Clearing my throat I continued, "You see, that's the thing. I'm not from this universe. One day I died after being stabbed by a robber. Next thing I knew, I was in this universe."

I have my first exam Tuesday and will be focusing on studying over the weekend, so here's an early update!