Sister Margaret's School for Wayward Children

Turns out that it wasn't that hard to find an empty apartment in a shady part of New York. After a nice chat with the landlord where I only had to use my power twice, I had a place to stay. As for work, I decided that I needed to work at a place that didn't ask too many (preferably any) questions. A place where I could put my new skills and powers to use, and where I could gain information of what was happening in the world.

A place like Sister Margaret's School for Wayward Children.

Finding it wasn't too hard, I just had to tap into the thoughts of those around me and next thing I knew I was standing outside a very shady looking bar. It was located in a bad part of town, people were actively avoiding it and the sound of music coming out of it. It was perfect.

Walking in, I noticed that it was basically empty with only a few people sitting around tables, nursing their drinks. Made sense considering that it was about 2 in the afternoon. As I walked up to the bar the people inside started staring at me, stopping their conversations. Honestly, it was kind of intimidating, but I knew I could kick their asses if necessary.

"Hello, I'm here for a job." The man behind the bar looked up at my voice. His glasses were slipping down his nose and he stopped wiping the shot glass in his hand to push them back up. I knew him very well, apparently my time in the training space had done nothing to my extensive memory of the MCU and Marvel in general. I still remembered everything I had watched and read.

"Sorry, miss." Weasel said, "We're not currently hiring." I hummed and leaned closer to him, a small smirk making its way across my face. I could see a warped version of my reflection on his glasses, my white hair and dark eyes a great contrast to each other.

"Oh, Jack." I whispered, his eyes widening at the use of his real name, "I think you would benefit greatly from having me work here." A silence followed as his mouth opened and closed a few times and I just stared at him, a soft smile on my face. However, as all good things must end a few moments later I could feel the presence of somebody behind me.

I moved out of the way before the hand could grab my shoulder, turning my head to look behind me at the large man standing there, a scowl on his face. He was large, about 6'2 and made of pure muscle. He was wearing a black graphic t-shirt, a sleeve tattoo visible. Combined with his bald head and majestic beard, he painted a pretty intimidating image.

"Can I help you?" I asked, tilting my head to the side. He grunted, a quite ugly sound coming from someone with such beautiful facial hair.

"I think you're in the wrong place," His voice was gruff, unsurprisingly, "The high school's down the street." I gasped, I did not look like a high schooler! Sure, I was only 5'3 and dressed in a pink sweater and leggings but... Obviously, I was 23. This man just needed his eyes checked.

"I think you need to mind your own business." Deciding that our conversation was clearly over, I gave my attention back to Weasel again. It seemed that mystical mustache man did not get the memo as he reached out to grab me again, which I avoided. Seriously, it didn't work the first time, why would it work the second time?

"Dude, enough with the touchy-touchy," I wiped invisible dust off my shoulder, scrunching my nose, "You're cute and all, but I'm not interested." Next thing I knew, he was throwing a punch. Honestly, men these days- they just can't take a hint.

Instead of dodging his punch again. I simply caught it and then kicked him in his knees. His body fell down to the floor and, still holding his hand, I leaned over him. Staring straight into his eyes I focused on the energy I felt coursing through my body. The low hum of my power that I always felt just underneath my skin, that had become a part of me just like my blood and bones. I brought that energy up and sent it to him, willing it to be fear, to bring back memories of his darkest times.

It took only a second and the next moment he choked out a gasp and scrambled away from me. By this point the whole bar was looking at us, which wasn't really that impressive- it was like 5 people. Deciding that I had gotten my point across well enough, I turned back around to Weasel and gave him my best smile.

"So, can I work here?" Leaning down so my hand rested on the bar counter I looked him straight in the eyes, "Or do you need a little bit more... convincing?" Weasel gulped and shook his head.

"Can you start tonight?"

* * *

Two weeks later I felt like I was settling into this universe quite nicely. I had an apartment (which I didn't pay for), a job (Weasel was still scared of me), and the idea of soulmates was not nearly as weird as I thought it was going to be. It was honestly kind of romantic, that so many people waited to meet their fated one.

Not everyone waited for their soulmates, some preferring to meet people on their own and falling in love themselves. However, it seemed the majority of the population was dead set on the idea of soulmates and fated love. Personally, I didn't care either way- I was just a sucker for a good romance.

I had gained more information on the superpower/mutant scene through my job and personal research. Turns out that mercenaries will talk, with just a bit of alcohol and gentle mental control. From what I gathered Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters was still a thing, as was SHIELD and Hydra. It was honestly ridiculously easy to find SHIELD's headquarters as it was literally a giant building floating on an island in New York City. From there I simply spent a day sitting on a park bench nearby enough that I could safely mind control one of the agents that was going to make their way inside. I then had him report back to me at the end of the day and tada! I had a general idea of the going-ons of SHIELD. Like the fact that Black Widow and Hawkeye were very much currently active.

It was a safe assumption to assume that things were proceeding in the general direction of the MCU movies, just with a twist. Information that made me very excited and I very much wanted to be closer to the action. I mean, how many people get to live out their fanfiction dreams? The Avengers, soulmates and having powers? Yeah, things could have been worse.