Denial- Continued

I had been planning on leaving for a while now, after all it was 2013 and Thor had told me the Convergence was coming. The alignments of all the planets was imminent and soon Asgard would have to battle the Dark Elves and all that. However, I was planning on making it much easier for them as I was going to get the Aether. It was the liquified form of the reality stone and I wasn't sure whether I could solidify it or not but I had to try.

It was a perfect time to go as well, putting some distance between me and my mates would help. There was no way they could feel the bond, I had fully blocked it. As long as I gave them some space, then that meant that everything would be fine again.

Thor said they loved me.

No, don't think about that I slapped my face, bringing my thoughts back to reality. I had just finished packing my duffel bag, ready to go to France for two weeks with the plane ticket I had bought yesterday after my talk with Thor.

No specific reason I chose France. It was the first ticket I had seen and I just clicked on it and bought it.

I threw my bag over my shoulder, grabbing my purse on the way out and made my way over to Tony's office. Technically Fury was my boss, and I had texted him yesterday at 4 am and for some reason he was still awake and responded to me right away. It went something like

Gotta leave for a while, will be back soon. Plz don't send the whole SHIELD facility to look for me. Also, remember to take your vitamins xoxo

Approved.

I think it went well enough. So there I was on a Tuesday morning making my way to Tony Stark's office, duffel bag in hand. I knocked on the door twice, then just opened it because the plane left in 4 hours and I had no time to waste.

"I'm going to France, don't know when I'll be back." I announced, startling Tony, "Alright, that's all. As they say in Paris, ciao." Closing the door, I walked towards the elevators not looking back when I heard the door slam open.

"Wait, wait, wait." Tony yelled as I quickened my steps, "Aliana, stop!" I in fact, did not stop.

"Aliana, what do you mean you're going to France?" Finally reaching me, he grabbed my arm and stopped me, "You can't just leave like that."

"Look Tony, I'd love to stop and chat but I have a top-secret-super-important-life-changing mission to go on and the taxi is already outside waiting for me, so I gotta go now. Also, Fury already approved this and he's technically my boss so...." At that I removed his hand from my arm and reached the elevator. As soon as I pressed the button to go down Tony stood next to me. I kept pressing the button, hoping the elevator would come faster. 

"I know this is sudden, but it is very important that I go do this." Staring into Tony's brown eyes I could see how upset he was, "It could save the life of millions of people, Tony." Giving in, I let my hand touch his cheek. Closing his eyes, he leaned into my touch and grasped my wrist. I thought he was going to remove my hand, but he just held it in place and sighed.

"Why did you only tell us now?" He asked, stepping back and letting my hand fall. Thinking for a second I just shrugged, I couldn't exactly tell him I had just decided it five hours ago.

"It's top secret." Wow Aliana, congrats. Perfect excuse, 10/10. Tony raised an eyebrow at me, but thankfully said nothing.

"Uhm, will you be getting into the elevator?" Without either of us noticing it, the elevator had opened and there stood a worker just staring at us.

"I'll walk you down." Tony said, putting his hand on my back as he stepped into the elevator with me. My heart skipped a beat and suddenly I pushed him out and pressed the door close button.

Right before the doors fully closed I waved at him, "I'll be back!" The last thing I saw were his wide eyes as the doors closed between us.

I looked over to the worker who was just staring at me, "Lovely weather we're having, don't you think so?"

* * *

France was lovely, after getting over the 7 hour flight and the time change. After sleeping for about twelve hours I woke up and took a warm bath. Finally feeling like a human being again, I decided to go eat something and then go in search of the aether.

Strolling down the streets of Paris, I went to a cute coffee shop and sat outside. It was a total movie moment, just sipping coffee and eating tiny pastries as I looked at everybody rushing by.

"Shit," I suddenly remembered I had never called Weasel to tell him I wouldn't be in yesterday. Quickly dialing the number to Sister Margaret's, Weasel picked up after a couple rings.

"What do you want?" Well, that's one way to greet customers.

"Weasel!" I said, "Man, am I glad you picked up." The sound of someone hanging up sounded from the other end. Sighing, I just dialed his personal number which went straight to the ringtone. I then called Wade, who picked up on the first ring.

"Honey bunches!" Wade called happily, "To what do I owe this pleasure of a call all the way from the streets of crepes?"

"Weasel is ignoring me again," I pouted even though he couldn't see me, "I need you to call him and tell him to pick up." The sound of gunshots sounded in the background, which honestly did not worry me. Once he picked up the phone even though somebody was giving birth in the background. It's honestly better to just not question it.

"I got you." Wade said, "Just wait a couple minutes for his call."

As Wade said only a couple minutes later Weasel called me.

"What do you want, Aliana?" Weasel asked as soon as I answered.

"I know this may be upsetting to hear," I said, "But I will be unable to go into work for the foreseeable future."

"Oh, thank god." Weasel said, "You can just never come back." I frowned at his words. I knew Weasel secretly liked me, but he would never admit it. Just like he wouldn't admit that Wade is his best friend, but they always hang out together and I've actually never seen Weasel with anybody else. Did he even have any other friends? 

"I'm the best employee you've ever had," I reminded Weasel, "Who else would bartend, clean and take care of rowdy customers for you?"

Weasel scoffed from the other line and there was a beat of silence. However, before I could hang up I heard Weasel say, "Take care of yourself." Gasping, I almost yelled into the phone, but he had already hung up. I smiled and put my phone away, before making my way back to the hotel.

It was time to go find the aether.