The Mysterious Voice

Trigger warning: attempted assault, use of a taser.

I always knew I was going to die, that's just what happens when you are alive. Death was always a concept that I was comfortable with, which is just what happens when you work in healthcare in the middle of a pandemic. However, I always expected to die of old age surrounded by family and at least two cats. Not in the middle of a gross alleyway after watching Multiverse of Madness.

As a self-proclaimed Marvel superfan, of course I had to go to the midnight showing of the new Dr. Strange movie. Which led directly to me hearing screaming from the alleyway next to my house as I walked home after my best friend had dropped me off. Me, being dumb and still riding the high of the superhero movie, decided to investigate.

"Listen honey, I don't want to have to hurt you," I heard a grimy voice whisper, "So just do what I say and you won't get hurt." Really, how cliche can you be? If you're gonna be a villain, at least be original. I reached into my purse and pulled out my taser, deciding to fuck it and ran right up to him. He didn't have a chance to react before I tased him right on his neck. Going down with a grunt, his body spasmed on the ground and the knife he had been holding fell to the floor. I stepped over him and looked at the woman he had been threatening, she looked about 30 years old with long red hair and blue eyes. I recognized her as one of my neighbors from my apartment complex, though we had never talked before.

"Thank you," she said, voice wavering, "Thank you." I went up to her and reached out, stopping before I could touch her. I nodded at her and smiled.

"Let's get out of here before that creep gets up," I said and she nodded back to me, breathing in deeply before gathering herself and walking out of the alleyway. I followed behind her, taking out my phone and dialing 911.

Before I could even speak to the operator, I felt a burning feeling from my back which quickly turned into sharp, cold pain. I gasped as I fell, hearing footsteps running away behind me and screaming from in front of me. The voice from my phone sounded muffled as it fell to the ground, my hand shaking as I brought it to my back.

"Oh, fuck," I managed to say as I stared at my hand full of blood. I managed to look up to my neighbor whose name I didn't even know. Her face blurred in front of me, that fucker had taken the knife with him and now I was bleeding out in the middle of an alleyway.

"Take my phone, call the police and catch that bastard." I told the now unidentifiable face in front of me, my vision swimming as tears escaped and I felt my body grow heavier.

"Oh god, please don't die," I heard faintly in the background, "Please, just hold on. The ambulance is on its way." Sadly, that was the last thing I heard before I passed out. I never did make it to the ambulance.

* * *

I'm not sure what I expected to see after I died. Maybe pearly gates or a shining light at the end of a dark tunnel. What I did not expect was to find myself in a bright ass place, complete whiteness surrounding me.

"Oh no, no, no." My hands shook at my side as I stared around me, "I am not going to be surrounded by nothingness for eternity am I?" I looked around me and yep, nothingness. As I stared down I noticed that I at least had my body, so props for at least not being floating mist or something equally as horrible.

"Welcome to the Inbetween, Aliana Gomez." A robotic voice said from who knows where, sounding mysteriously like Siri, "As consideration for your noble death you will have the ability to spin the Wheel of Fortune for free one time before the transfer proceedings to your new universe begins."

What. The. Fuck?

"Uhm, yeah. Mysterious Voice, can I call you that? Cool. Would you mind explaining what the fuck is going on here?" I could hear what sounded like a snicker before the voice responded again.

"My name is The Giver, the one who handles extraordinary reincarnation cases." The Voice explains, "As someone that was born in the wrong universe and died before your time, it has been decided that you will live out the rest of your life in your originally intended universe."

"What do you mean born in the wrong universe?" The shock was plain in my voice, I mean, how else was I supposed to react to the news that I was born in the wrong universe? However, instead of answering me the Voice just hums and a giant wheel appears in front of me. It looks like one of those carnival wheels, only instead of money there where what seems to be different powers listed on it.

"Ok, great, ignore me," I said as I walked closer to the wheel, "So what, do I just spin this, get my powers and get transported?"

"Correct," The robotic voice answered, "You will have an innate understanding of your power as it has been granted by the wheel and be able to use it to its fullest extent as soon as you arrive at your new universe."

"Oh," I exclaimed, "That seems like a pretty sweet deal." Walking up to the wheel, I could feel my heart pounding in excitement. After all, I've always wished for excitement and adventure in my life. As a 25 year old though, I had left behind those wishes as teenage dreams that would never come true.

Grabbing onto the wheel I noticed various different powers written on it, such as super strength or plan manipulation. I didn't really see any that caught my eye, so I just spun it with all my strength, knowing that I would be satisfied with whatever I got.

"Ding, ding" rang out around the white space, confetti coming out of the wheel, "You have been granted the ability of an esper. Transfer proceedings will now initiate." Before I could even question anything, my eyesight turned dark and I felt myself floating.