Cuddles and Conversation

Outside rain hammered down on the window, making a curtain of water which clouded the view. The children were asleep in bed as it was way past midnight, but Alma was sat awake. She was curled up in her window seat with her nose in a book. Her hair was tied back in a loose bun with a few strands framing her face. 

Alma shifted in her seat, then closed her book and placed it on the windowsill. She has heard footsteps out in the corridor. She walked over to her door and looked out. Lorelai was sat at the top of the stairs reading a book that she had definitely stolen from Alma's personal collection.

"Can't sleep?" Alma asked.

Lorelai practically jumped out of her skin, then closed her book and walked over to the bird. 

"Can't you?" She replied.

Alma didn't say anything, just shook her head and took Lorelai's hand in hers. She pulled her back into her bedroom and pulled her into the window seat. 

"Alma wha-" Lorelai started "Oh-" 

Alma leant against her chest and pulled Lorelai's arms around her. She let out a small hum as she snuggled further into her. 

"Stay for a while?" Alma asked "I get lonely at night"

"Of course bluebird"

They didn't say anything for a while, just enjoyed each others embrace as they looked out of the window at the hammering rain. Lorelai gently stroked alma's hand with her thumb while planting kisses on the top of her head. 

"Are you okay Alma?" Lorelai asked, noticing the tears welling in her eyes.

Alma nodded, then looked up at her "It's just, before you arrived, I never really had anyone. I had no close friends at the academy, no one to talk to in the loop. I- I just"

She wiped tears from her cheeks and rolled onto her side, her head resting on Lorelai's chest as fresh tears soaked her night gown.

"You can't leave, not again"

Lorelai wrapped her arms around the woman, pulling her further into her. With one hand on her shoulder and her waist, she planted kisses on the birds head. 

"Shhhh, it's okay" She hummed "I'm not going anywhere"

"Promise?"

"I promise"

They sat like that for what felt like hours, Lorelai planting kisses on the top of Alma's head while she stared out of the window.

After a while Alma's breathing levelled out, falling shallower and shallower. Lorelai looked down. Her eyes were closed and there was a small smile on her face. She appeared to be fast asleep.

Lorelai picked up the bird bridal style and walked her over to bed, placing her down on the mattress and pulling the covers over her. As she was about to walk away, subconsciously, Alma reached out, as though attempting to grab her hand. With a sigh, Lorelai lay down next to her and pulled her onto her chest. The smile on the birds face grew wider, as though she knew what was happening around her. 

After a while, Lorelai drifted to sleep, safe with Alma in her arms.