42

Previously...

As soon as the last note hit, Edward grabbed his jacket and stormed out of the studio.

I walked into the studio lounge and laid down on the sofa, feeling hot tears fall down in my ears.

- Three Weeks Later, October, 2007 -

Edward got sick with a cold, so recording needed to wait until he was well again.

This small break was good for us, mostly me, because it helped me think about our relationship.

Yes, Edward was mad at me for keeping the Tanya secret from him, but I should be mad at him too. He'd continued to lead me on, had kept me thinking we could somehow become more than friends. But I was wrong. I wasn't sure we could even be friends anymore.

Could we?

And the worst part of it was that I still loved him. He was in every one of my thoughts, and when my phone rang, which was, on occasion, one of Jake's calls and texts, my heart jumped out of my chest, hoping it would be Edward.

My sisters tried to cheer me up and get my mind off of Edward, but all it did was make me think of him more.

I needed to talk to him, despite how angry he was at me; I just needed to know how.

When Edward got better a few days later, he finally called me and asked me to come over to talk.

Driving over to his house, I was a nervous wreck. What did he want now? Did he want me out of the band? I wasn't even sure I wanted to be in anymore, given everything that's been going on. But on the other hand...

Suddenly, the car felt stifling. I took out my inhaler from my pocket, breathing in 2 quick puffs of medicine into my lungs. I felt a bit better but not enough. I shakily drove to the Cullen house, parked, and walked up to the front door. My hand lifted to knock, but Edward answered first.

He looked a lot better than the last time I saw him. His eyes were a bright green; he wore a blue sweater with dark wash jeans; his bronze hair was a tattered mess, but it still looked good, as usual. He ushered me inside gently, and we both sat side-by-side on the couch in the living room.

"I kept the Tanya thing from you because I wanted to protect you," I started.

"I don't need protecting," he said, shaking his head.

"Well, obviously you do, if you're going to be starting fights in the middle of the street."

"He was asking for it!"

"And you should have known better than to let his obnoxious ego get to you!" I stood up, agitated. "And why have you been stringing me along all this time? Liking me while you were still with Tanya? And don't spout that bullshit about you were 'on a break'! 'On a break' is not separated! If anyone should be angry, it's me!"

Edward sighed deeply and ran a hand through his hair. "I strung you along because I really like you, but I didn't know what to do," he whispered.

"Why couldn't you have just talked it out?" I asked.

"I did! And look how well that turned out!"

I sat next to him again. "I can't just be your friend," I replied.

He turned to me tiredly. "I know. I don't either. We're much more than that." He touched my cheek gently, and I couldn't help but lean into it. We looked into each other's eyes for a while. I could see a bit of gold in them, and I wondered where that came from. Their firey anger from a few days ago turned warm and gentle.

Footsteps thundered downstairs, and we turned quickly before we were caught.

"Oh, hey, Bells! What's up?" Emmett asked me.

"Hi, Em," I smiled nervously.

"I came down to get a snack. Hope I didn't interrupt anything." He winked knowingly to Edward, and I blushed a bright red.

"No, not really, no," Edward stuttered a bit, rubbing the back of his neck with his hand.

"Ok, have fun, lovebirds!" he laughed as he walked out of the room and into the kitchen.

"Oh, my god, now we're never going to hear the end of it from him," I groaned, tossing my head in my hands.

Edward laughed, brushing my hair back behind my ear to see my face, "Well, luckily, he can keep secrets."

I lifted my head. "I don't want us to be a secret. But I don't want to flaunt us around either." I said.

"Yeah, I know. I don't want you to feel uncomfortable around me, but I won't be keeping you a secret for long," he smiled.

I smiled, and got up. "Ok, I should go. Before Emmett makes me blush again."

"I'll walk you out." He took my hand and laced his fingers through it. "So, I'll see you later tomorrow?"

"Yeah," I nodded shyly. Butterflies fluttered in my stomach.

He then kissed my cheek tenderly, and I walked out, feeling a bit overwhelmed. But the smile never left my face as I drove home.

A/N: Aww yay they're together, secret for now! Review if you want a kiss on the cheek from Edward, too! :)

Follow me on Twitter: dani_pitter