26

A/N: Here's more of prom night, and the first song isn't too far away! :)

And big thanks to my beta Demelza Llivell. Couldn't have done this without you, babe!

When we all pushed past the curtain, it was like we entered another world. There was a disco ball twirling above our heads. Students were dancing provocatively in the middle of the dance floor. There were blue and gold streamers flying around the outer perimeter of the gym. There was a table stacked with hor d'oeurves, pigs in a blanket, chips with four kinds of dips, and a huge red punch bowl. Above the room sat a DJ on stage mixing pop hits with 90's hits. Right now, Justin Bieber's "All Around the World" played loudly. Surrounding the dance floor was a semi-circle of small, round tables for us to sit in for dinner.

We all grabbed our numbers and sat together at a table in the middle.

"Wow, the prom committee really went all out this year!" Alice shouted across from us.

"Yeah, they did! Better than the junior prom!" I shouted back.

"And look who's across from us," Jake shouted in my ear, and I looked to see Edward and Tanya sitting with her snooty friends. Edward seemed bothered by Jake and I together. Why would he be if he'd offered to give me Jake's number? I waved to him, and Edward waved back. Tanya saw that and ripped his hand down. Edward frowned, annoyed at her.

I looked to Jake and saw him looking at Tanya flirtatiously. Tanya shook her head, as if to say "Not here!" So there was something going on between them.

We watched our classmates dance to more songs, and then Jake asked me if I wanted some punch. I obliged, and he got up the same time as Edward. I frowned in confusion but didn't think anything of it. Two minutes later, Jake came back, giving me a red cup. I thanked him and smelled it before taking a sip.

Jake gave me an amused look. "What?" I asked.

"Nothing, I just never expect girls to sniff their drinks before they drink them," he laughed.

"Well, you can't be too careful. I mean, stupid idiots snug the punch all the time, even at prom," I explained.

"Wow, who taught you that?" he asked mockingly.

I frowned, a little annoyed, and he winced, rubbing his knee. I looked ahead and saw Rose glare at him. She must have kicked him.

"Our dad, the former Chief of Police, taught us that, you big dope," she sneered. I snickered under my breath. I gave her a look that said, "Thanks, big sis."

A few more pop songs came on, and Jake kept getting up to get drinks for himself. After his fifth drink, he asked if I wanted one, and I said no. He shrugged and went up to get one. When he set his cup down, I could smell alcohol. I didn't know how to approach him about it, so he just kept on drinking more as the night progressed.

Then a slow song came on. Em asked Rose to dance, then Jasper asked Alice, and finally Jake asked me. I was a little hesitant at first. Then I saw Edward get up with Tanya and walk to the dance floor, so I finally said yes.

The beginning of the dance was fine until I felt Jake's hands slip past my hip and onto my butt. I frowned and tried to pull his hand back up, but it was too strong.

"Jake, stop," I whispered roughly.

"Stop what, baby?" he slurred slightly in my ear. "I thought you wanted this."

"No, not here," I tried to pull away, but he held me tightly.

"Isn't that why you asked me to prom, Bella? So we could go as friends?" he said in my ear. I could feel his hands slide up the slit in my dress, and I didn't like it.

"Jake... Stop!" I whimpered, and looked behind his shoulder to see if anyone could come to my rescue. I saw Edward dancing with Tanya, but when he met my terrified eyes, he instantaneously let go of Tanya and began to walk towards me. But before he could get to me, I felt Sam and Emmett grab me.

"The lady said stop, you perv," Emmett growled in Jake's ear.

"Hey, what's your problem?" Jake murmured, tipping over a bit. "I'm just giving her what she wanted."

"Well who says she wanted it with you?" Sam asked threateningly. "Now why don't you be a good little boy and go have a seat somewhere?"

Jake gruffly pulled himself from Sam's grip on his shoulder and walked away. I breathed a sigh of relief.

"You okay, Bells?" Sam asked.

I nodded, too worried to speak. "Yeah, thanks guys."

"My question is, why would you bring a guy like as your prom date?" Em asked me.

I shook my head, looking back at the spot Jake just left. "I thought it would be a good idea at the time."

"Well, if he ever touches you like that again, you just come to us, 'kay?" Sam asked, laying an arm across my shoulders.

"Yeah, okay," I whispered.

Edward finally made it over, a deeply worried look on his face. "Bella! Are you okay? Did he hurt you?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Em and Sam took care of it. And no, he didn't really hurt me, just freaked me out. A lot." I shrugged it off.

Edward sighed and pulled me into a hug. "I'm so sorry about him. I don't know what's gotten into him."

I held him tightly, breathing in his warm, honey scent. "I do. He's been drinking too much punch. I think someone drugged it."

"Really?"

"Yeah. You haven't been drinking it, have you?"

"Well, I had some when I first got inside, but none just now."

"Good. Don't drink anymore of it."

"Okay, we'll have to tell one of the chaperones, but after we perform in a few minutes."

I looked up at him. "What...?"

"We go on in a few minutes. That's also why I wanted to come get you."

I looked around and saw most of the students crowded around the stage. The DJ's stuff had been pulled away, and a drumset had been replaced.

"Oh, shit," I exclaimed, and turned to Sam. "Sam, we have to go now! We're almost up!"

"We are? Shit!"

We all left with a quick goodbye to Em and ran backstage.

Rose and Alice were there, along with Kate, Jasper, and Seth.

"Where have you been, Little Miss Lateness?" Alice asked impatiently. "Oh, never mind. Let's get you dressed." She pulled a short, deep blue halter-top dress out of her giant tote bag and shoved it in my hands. "Get this on; quickly!"

She pushed me into a curtained dressing room, and I quickly got dressed. I walked out and asked, "How do I look?"

Edward looked at me quickly, but then he did a double-take, a glazed look in his eyes. "You look..." he started, but Alice pulled me to a chair.

"Yes, yes, we all know she looks beautiful; now let me fix your hair," she said impatiently. Ten minutes later, she finished touching up my makeup and hair and helped me up. "Okay, sis, break a leg out there!"

"Yeah, Bella!" Rose shouted as she, Alice, and Jasper ran out.

"Wait! Alice! We need someone to announce us!" Seth called.

"Oh, right!" She walked past us, out to the stage to announce us. Suddenly, I got very nervous. This was everything we worked for, and if I screwed it up, our careers were done for.

I felt Edward's hand slide into mine, and he gave me a comforting smile. I smiled back, and I knew we would be just fine.

A/N: So exciting! And for those on Team Jacob, I only made Jake an asshole because there's going to be more of him in this story. So, Team Jacob, I'm sorry if I offended you. I'm on Team Edward, but I do like Jacob btw! Anyway, leave a reply and check out the next chapter for prom! :)