4

The Spotlight is On! Ch 4

A/N: sorry I haven't been updating lately. The HSPA's are coming up soon so I've been studying my butt off. But I'm back and I hope you guys like this chapter!

Disclaimer: I do not own Twilight.

A month had passed since our videos were sent, and Rosalie still wouldn't talk to me let alone look at me. I still didn't know what I did wrong, but I tried to not to let it get to me.

At school, everyone wouldn't stop talking about the contest. The girls, especially. My best friend Angela sent one, and wanted to change the subject at lunch, but the contest kept getting brought up.

"I hope I win. I hope you win. Actually, I hope you win because-"

"Angela." I groaned.

"Sorry. It's all everyone's been talking about," she said apologetically.

"I just wish everyone else would just shut up about this!" I yelled at her, and her face fell sadly. Regret took over me immediately. "Oh, Ang, I'm so sorry. It's just, ever since Alice, Rose and I made those videos for this, Rose still won't talk to me."

"It's ok." Angela replied. "Do you know why this time? She's been mad at you before."

"Yeah, but usually, by now she would have said something. " I said, laying my head on the table. I felt a hand rubbing my head and smiled. I could always count on Angela to make me feel better.

"So, how'd you do on your English final yesterday?" she asked, still rubbing my head.

I turned my head towards her. "Alright. I'm just glad all of my finals are done for Senior year," I mumbled. "How'd you do?"

"Pretty good, I think. But I know that question number 29 was a mislead." Angela replied.

"I know right! 'What was the intention of Brian's murderous act of stabbing his little brother?' And the answer wasn't even there." I laughed.

Angela laughed. "Yeah. I just picked the answer I thought was best, and that was C, 'Because Brian was jealous of him.'"

"I picked that one too, but I only picked that because I was stuck between that and B,'Because he was bored.' So I just played the eennie-miney-moe game and landed on C."

Angela said, smiling "Did you really?"

Laughing, I nodded.

"You're so crazy, Bella." Angela remarked, ruffling my hair.

"No, I'm not." I said.

"Yeah you are. You do things that I wouldn't really expect you to do."

"Like what?"

"Like...make a video of you singing-"

"Don't say Complicated ," I said sternly, "If you do, I'll just...I'll have to cry."

"I wasn't going to say that. I was going to say When You're Gone at last year's talent show on your keyboard. Ok, I only have one question: How do you sing like that?"

"Sing like what? You, Alice, Jasper, and Emmett say I sing in a special way. I don't." I cried.

"Yeah, you do. Do you actually hear yourself sing?"

"No, not really. I'm so busy paying attention to the words and the notes that I don't really notice."

"Watch your talent show video tonight and tell me you don't sound like an angel."

"Yeah. I'm an angel of a sister who hates me for making a video she persuaded me to do."

"I thought Alice persuaded you."

"Yeah, but Rosalie went along with it."

"I just don't understand why she's so mad at you. Jealousy, maybe?"

I lifted my head and laid it on my hand. "I don't know. Maybe. But, why me? What does she have to be jealous of me for? I'm—I don't . . . don't know what I am." I said.

"Bella. Again watch your When You're Gone video!" Angela said slowly, like she was explaining a complicated problem to a 4-year-old. "It will explain everything."

The end-of-lunch bell rang, and we stood up to go to our next class. Ang had Calculus, and I had Environmental Science . . . with Rosalie and Edward. Oh boy . . . this would be fun.

I walked in the classroom and sat in my seat. Rosalie was in seat 2 rows behind me, and Edward came in and sat on my left.

"Hi." I heard his voice and looked up at him. He smiled and I forgot to breathe. I blinked and exhaled.

"Hi." I whispered.

"I finished watching all of the videos last night. Yours was the last one." He said.

"Oh. Um . . . ok." I didn't know what else to say to that. Did he hate it? Did he really see all of it, or did he pause to see someone better? Did he-

"Yours was my favorite." He replied.

"Really?" I turned away, and Mr. Amorin came in. I turned back to Edward. "Wait, really?"

He nodded. "What made you choose Complicated?" he asked.

"I don't know. I didn't really choose it. Alice did. But I guess I sang it because I really the song."

He nodded again in thought and stayed quiet, and just as I was about to say something, the late bell rang and the rest of the class came in. The majority of the class was girls, so all they did was pretty much crowd Edward about their videos until Mr. Amorin yelled at them to sit.

I thought Edward's security guard, Rob, would come in, but he didn't. And at the near-end, when I stood in line to hand in textbook, I couldn't help but look in Edward's direction. He glanced at me from the notebook he was writing in, smiled, and turned back to his notebook. I wondered what he was writing about . . .

"Bella." Mr. Amorin said, and I turned back to him.

"What? Oh, sorry." I said, and put my book on the desk.

When I turned back I tripped and almost fell on my face, but I felt a hand on my forearm lift me up before I hit the floor. I looked up and stared into Edward's concerned eyes.

"Are you ok?" he asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I breathed. We just stood there, staring into each other's eyes . . .

Then the bell rang.

Everyone got up and left, and as they were leaving, they stared at Edward and me.

Rosalie pushed Edward's shoulder as she walked past us. He blinked, looked behind me, then back at me. "I'll . . . I'll see you later." He said distractedly.

"Oh, ok, bye." I said, and he quickly left the classroom. I turned and saw him put his arm around Tanya.

His girlfriend . . .

Of course. I thought as I picked up my notebook from my desk and walked out, feeling my heart break a little.