Age of Dawn

Shouts could be heard from above as Mereoleona rained hell fire on the mansion.

"Brother, they're gonna find us."

"I thought you said—"

"Cut off the sound projection you idiot!"

Yami had been foolish enough to get caught in their trap. Such a pathetic bleeding heart. At least Charlotte kept her wits about her—Mereoleona could sense the briar magic stretching through the storm. Somehow Charlotte had learned to counter the shadow's grip.

The other leaders of the rescue team stood by her side, waiting for their enemy to be smoked out. A cry pierced the silence and a blur of sandy hair flew past her.

Asta.

That boy was just as bull-headed as Yami.

"Come out and fight me!" he shouted, charging right into the flaming mansion.

Solid was quick to clear a path through the flames with water that instantly turned to steam. It must be hot enough to boil the kid alive, but he didn't seem to care.

"Shit," Zora cursed behind her. "I gotta save that idiot's ass." His dark figure rushed into the burning building. She had to give their squad credit, they were as loyal as any pride of lions.

"Wait!" Yuno shouted, but as the admonition left his mouth a portal opened up above him, and the sudden change in wind pressure sucked in both him and Bell. Mereoleona and the rest of the rescue squad plunged to the ground as the wind magic dissipated, where a gaping shadow had opened beneath them.

She cursed under her breath and tried to propel herself out of range, but there was too much rubble and the shadow was spread out too wide. A growl leapt from her throat. If the rest of them became paralyzed, then their only hope would be if those kids could use the dancing light of her and Leo's flames to take down the shadow mage.

But as soon as her foot tapped the ground, she sprang back up again. Puzzled, she looked down to the distinct glow of Zora's magic circle. He's set a trap before rushing in after Asta, and in doing so had given them all a second chance.

The group bounced high into the air before the shadow could lock them in place, and Mereoleona used her flames to fly to safety. Another series of large cracks split the air. With sharp eyes, she saw through the thick cloud of smoke and sand to where the other three pillars had crumbled in a massive pile of black stone and briars with red roses.

Nozel and William emerged from the rubble, coughing as they shook off their chains of shadow—and Fuegoleon. Her brother.

He was the first to recover, quickly zoning in on the burning building and surrounded the party with a ring of protective fire. The light tore through the shadows and took away the enemies' advantage.

Soon after, William cast a spell that caused massive roots to wind through the remains of the building, creating a wide path that lead straight to where three small figures stood, one in combat with Asta while the two others were inches away from the teleportation portal.

Instantly a silver cage wove around the two trying to escape, and Asta knocked the sword from his opponent's hand. The metal clambered to the ground and everyone fell silent.

Their opposition, who had been revealed to be a young boy not much apart in age from Asta, backed away with his hands up and eyes torn open. "You're the one—the one we need. Join us."

Asta sneered. "Like hell I'm going to join up with a bunch of criminals."

"But we're not!" the boy protested, auburn hair singed at the edges and wiry. "We are leaders—true leaders! We will hear the voice of all, not just those who think they have earned power through age. We are the new generation, and won't let tradition block our path."

Before he could get another word in Yami had him by the neck and lifted him into the air. "You know nothing of power," he spat. "But I will teach you."

The boy was tossed to the ground like a ragdoll. Yami stood over him while the two other accomplices plead for the boy's safety in their cage.

"Power does not need to tread upon others." Yami's boot held the boy down at his hip, while his katana came inches from the ginger's neck. "That, is selfishness. And when it comes to Charlotte, I am a very selfish man."

"Please," a voice called from the cage. "Don't hurt my brother."

"Yami." Asta approached. "I need to ask him something."

Charlotte eyed them from the sidelines, and Yami withdrew his sword.

"These Captains have done nothing wrong," Asta said. "I am proof that they listen, even to those without mana. Why do you want to start an uprising?"

The boy's eyes flickered away from Yami before settling on Asta. "W-we only thought..."

"We have no one else," the girl in the cage interjected through tears. "Our parents were killed—by our own leaders. We were scared, so we hid. We needed more power, more people on our side. So we thought the younger generation would help us build a better life for those who are repressed."

Asta's brows knit. "Someone's age has nothing to do with the integrity of their leadership. I don't know why your parents were killed, or why no one came to help you—but attacking innocent people for the sake of gaining power isn't right."

He took a breath. "But, you can gain power the right way, and that's by learning from the young and old alike.  Not by imprisoning them. If you need someone who will help you get stronger, then join the magic knights."

A/n: Well, I hope that was climatic enough to satisfy 🤞

For the next 🔞 chapter do we want Yami or Char POV? (It's not done and I don't know when I'll write it, but it will get posted.)