Sunset

~YAMI~

Yami blew out smoke from the cigarette attached to his lips. The air had a crispness about it that signaled night was soon approaching. He tilted his head back, eying the sky as clouds lazily drifted above. If he wanted to catch the sunset, he'd better get moving.

"Prickly Queen, I have one more place to bring you today." Her head snapped towards him at his words, eliciting a smile to form on his otherwise tired face. Subconsciously he sucked in a quick breath as the horizontal sun rays illuminated her graceful features. God, she's more than I can handle right now.

"Oh? You mean... the date...?" She looked at him inquisitively, her lips slightly pursed together. He forced himself to look away as he summoned his broom.

"Yeah, the second half that is. I figured fighting together would be a good warm up," he tossed a grin in her direction, "but that's not very romantic, is it?"

For some reason she didn't hesitate to climb on the broom this time, sitting in front of him. Before thinking too hard about how he liked seeing her perched there, her bottom looking extra round for some reason, he lifted off the ground to the west.

Within ten silent minutes, a smooth valley came into view. It was nestled in-between a shallow cliff and the edge of the forest. He quickly found the tent he had set up yesterday with Finral's help. It had been a while since he had camped outdoors for leisure. He used to love the sounds of nature surrounding him, the food cooked over a fire, sleeping under the stars, but now a days the hideout felt more comfortable. Charlotte spoke up as he gradually descended.

"You set this all up? Are we staying the night?" Their feet touched down to the earth and he walked over to the tent, taking out a crate of supplies.

"Uh, yeah... I thought... I'd share a bit about how I used to live before I met Julius and joined the Magic Knights. I know it doesn't look like much, but I made sure inside the tent would be comfortable for you." He started a fire and placed a pot of water on the griddle. It really wasn't much, the basic stuff; he knew Charlotte was used to much more. He hoped she would at least stay to see the night sky in its full glory, but part of him expected her to leave as soon as she saw the tent.

"This is such a beautiful valley. It's... breathtaking..." Her voice was as gentle as the breeze. He gave a small sigh in relief, she wasn't running for home yet. He took out a small vile from the supply crate and poured its contents into the boiling water. Fresh potatoes and veggies, along with stew meat bubbled to the surface, expanding as the magic seal from the vile was broken. The cracking fire was now accompanied with a delicious smell of fresh herbs.

Turning from the pot, he looked around to find Charlotte. She was standing at the edge of the cliff, staring at the horizon as the rim of the sun grazed the tops of distant trees. The sky was alive with wispy clouds that were painted in rosy orange and pink hues. However, all Yami saw was the woman in the royal blue dress who seemed to have taken his heart right from his chest. His fingers twitched to reach out to her, but he hesitated not wanting to ruin the moment.

"Yami, thank you," Charlotte half whispered as she turned to face him. Her face was relaxed and... happy. She wasn't smiling, but her eyes glistened brighter than the rising moon and her cheeks matched the cotton-candy clouds. Somehow, his legs moved on their own and carried him over to her.

"I'm really glad you like it. This place suits you," he said in reply. She smiled at him, her lips mesmerizing him. He reached out and pulled her into a hug. She stiffened at first, then relaxed and gazed back out to the sunset. He followed her gaze, both nervous and excited that she hadn't shut down his advances.

"Charlotte... I don't expect you to want to be with me. Not really. I mean... I'm just Yami Sukehiro, and you're.... well, anyways... What I'm trying to say is, I'm really glad you'd spend this evening with me, but after we're done you have no obligation towards me."

She turned to face him, still leaning into the embrace. Her eyebrows knit together and her eyes searched his. It was first time out of battle that she had ever met his gaze.

"I don't know what you expect of me, Yami, but I'm really happy here. I'm happy with you. Don't... don't think you mean nothing to me."

She's... is she serious? She just accepted me? What does this mean?

A/N: Anyways, no kiss this time but I promise I'll make up for it next chapter. 😈 Were you disappointed? Lmao I don't know why I always give you guys cliffhangers but my bad.