A Test

Date #Two

~CHARLOTTE~

Charlotte paced in front of the cavern's wide opening. She knew Yami was notoriously late, but did he have to keep her waiting when she was already so nervous?

I know he was late last time too, he's late every time, but that was different because I didn't even know it was a date. Now... can't he at least show up on time?!

She reviewed the plan in her head. Since their first date was just a mission given to the two of them from Julius, she figured that something more practical and less... lovey-dovey... would be the right choice. Not that she didn't want to get personal with Yami, but she couldn't bring herself to set things up with that expectation of him. She still didn't know what exactly his thoughts were on the whole situation.

She had worked herself up into quite the stupor back at the Blue Rose Knights headquarters, where her lovely ladies noticed something was bothering her. They already knew about her feelings for Yami, but none of them had expected him to be the one to make the first move (not that they expected Charlotte to, either). Needless to say, once the tea was spilt, her ladies were quite thrilled and anxious to help her choose a destination.

The winning idea came from none other than Sol, her self-appointed side kick. She had read something about a magical cave in the north west where several precious supplies were gathered for the kingdom every few years. Due to the caves natural replenishing mana, it was the ideal place to harvest herbs, precious minerals, and monster parts that were useful around the capital.

After clearing the idea with Julius, he consulted the palace's stocks and gave her a list of the items they were short on. She almost made Sol talk to Julius for her, not wanting to endure any teasing or questions from the Wizard King, but he didn't end up mentioning Yami at all. There was, however, an inextinguishable sparkle in his eyes, but he was at least considerate enough to leave things alone.

"Been here long?" Yami's deep voice called, and Charlotte nearly jumped out of her skin. She spun so fast she got dizzy, finding Yami leaning up casually against the rocky slope near the cave entrance.

"Don't do things like that! You already had me waiting for you and now...." Charlotte took a deep breath, don't scare him off, "Anyways, I'm glad you could make it."

His broad shoulders shook with a bellow of laughter. She was caught in between frustration, embarrassment, and pleasure at seeing him so relaxed and content. The cave looked considerably smaller with him leaning against it. Charlotte began to embrace her excitement for their second date.

"It's good to see you, My Prickly Queen, wouldn't have it any other way. Now, before we go spelunking, there's something I want to test out." His expression gave nothing away as to what he was planning. She just stared back at him, waiting for his next move. He stared back, intensifying the moment and making a rush of heat color her cheeks.

"Come here for a minute. It'll be quick I promise," he spoke, casting his cigarette to the ground before stomping it out. She approached him, growing more curious with each step. Once she was in arms reach he took a deep breath, placing his hands on both her shoulders and looking her in the eye.

"Please forgive me, I promise to explain afterwords."

In one swift movement he swapped their positions, pressing her between his body and the wall. Both felt about the same, except for the heat radiating off of Yami. She opened her mouth in surprise, but his lips silenced her words before they escaped. His lips were hot and passionate, sucking gently on her own. One of his hands moved to her chin, tilting her head up and deepening the kiss. His fingers felt firm and gentle against the sensitive skin of her neck.

She had no time to think, only to react in the most primal way. Her body melted into his, craving his desire and basking in his exposed skin. Her senses went wild, almost demanding that she take off her armor here and now. Her tongue brushed against his, eliciting a moan from Yami. His earthen smell, his hot touch, the faint taste of smoke on his lips, and the firmness in his muscles blinded her to everything else around them.

Just as she fell over the edge of passion into a place she had never before been, he pulled away. His face was still inches away from hers, bracing himself with his forearm on the wall. She inspected his face, gradually remembering how to process her thoughts again.

His face looks strained. No, he looks... almost... needy. His eyes are so dark and his cheeks are flushed. Is he turned on?

"Well, that's that," he managed to get out, his voice a breathy growl.

A/N: Didn't I tell you we weren't slowing down??? The train isn't even at full speed yet...