Revelation

"Our ancestors founded this village," Elle began. "It's in our blood to love the snow and ice— to be one with the mountain. In the past year, we're the only ones who have kept this fondness. We've been pushed out, and along with us, the village has slowly abandoned the mountain."           

"Go on." Charlotte prompted. From the moment she stepped foot in this village she knew something wasn't right. Her suspicion that the kidnappings weren't a coincidence had been confirmed, and she was intent on getting to the bottom of the matter. The battle was over, but Charlotte knew the fight still wasn't won.

"The mana of the mountain... that's why I could command so many snow golems," Elle admitted. "The truth is, we don't need to look and act like nobility to earn accolades or protection from the Capital. There's no reason to cater to the rich and powerful, because the mountain can protect us like it always has. All we need to do is listen, but people have closed their ears and their hearts."

"Did you know of this mana?" Yami asked the Chief, who was now also drained of color.

"N-no..."

"We've been overseers, if you will," Mrs. Damant clarified. "For many generations, our family has been more attuned to the mountain than anyone else. It's that recently..." She glanced around, as if the gazes of everyone else were itching her skin. "Our home has not been visited in years, and we cannot teach what we know unless we are asked."

"How could you not know about this? As the head of the village, you've never discussed this with the Damants?" Yami continued interrogating the Chief.

"Well, you see... I've never had reason to."

"Or, you were focused on the Capital in order to raid the pockets of the royals." Charlotte turned away from Elle at last, having put the pieces together. "The only thing the Damants have to offer you is their knowledge, which you don't seem to value. That lodge wasn't built for commoners. All you've been after is a profit."

If possible, the Chief paled even more than the Damants. He had been caught.

"I can assure you that...." he started to defend himself.

"You pig!" Elle glared over at the Chief. "This was all for money?!"

"I-I..." He could try to defend himself all he wanted, but by the expensive suit he wore and his obvious preference of the Clarise family, who appeared to have more status than the Damants, the answer was plain to see.

The villagers began to murmur, some casting judgmental glances at their Chief, and others at the two Magic Knight Captains.

Yami broke through the unease. "I can see this village needs some improvements, along with sufficient funding to keep the lodge open for at least the first year. I'm sure the Wizard King will agree to support the efforts to grow the village, as long as respect is maintained for all its inhabitants and visitors."

The Chief's eyes widened, caught off guard that instead of further reprimand, he received generosity.

"However," Yami continued, "the funds will be sent to and managed by the Damant family. And if they betray the mountain they claim to love, then I will see to it myself that no visitors from the Capital come here again."

No one would dare argue.

Charlotte let a smile grace her lips, admiring his strength and humble display of power and authority. Rarely did Yami set up to take on a commanding role, but when he did, he did it well.

"Elle, does this arrangement calm your will to rebel, or do you need further convincing?" he asked, turning to the girl and her brother.

She shook her head negatory. "No, Sir."

Charlotte let the briars go slack around the two siblings, testing to see if her words would ring true once she got her freedom back.

"Thank you." Liam first looked at Yami with round, grateful eyes, then nodded politely at Charlotte. "For saving the girls, and our village."

"That reminds me." Charlotte stepped towards Elle. She flinched back, then slowly raised her eyes to meet piercing blue ones. A look of wonder erased the lines of sorrow and strife.

"Beauty should never be coveted." Keeping her voice soft yet steady, Charlotte spoke each word from the heart. "You are strong, and though many specify good looks as one things or another, never be ashamed of your body. Mana flows through it just as it does the mountain, and I can't imagine the mountain apologizing for its large and craggy appearance."

This time, Elle didn't have a response. A single tear welled up at the brim of her charcoal eyes, and made a slow decent down her round cheek.

"Will you release your spell on Albina, so she can be reunited with her family?" Charlotte asked.

"Of course," Elle whispered, and walking over to the frozen girl, a feeble apology could be heard in breeze. With the wave of a hand, frost melted away, the flush of blood returning to Albina's skin. Her parents gasped and hugged her tight as she regained the ability to move.  The sun dipped behind the snow-battered trees, and at last the day was over.