Ailments

If she hadn't come, Yami wasn't sure what he'd have done. Her ki was the light that snapped him out of the darkness. He didn't want to hurt Elle, but she was acting like a brat that needed to be put in her place.

Charlotte saved the very girl that hated her.

Bound by briars, Liam and his sister didn't put up a fight as the rest of the golems were hacked down and melted by Luck and Magna, with the help of Charlotte's two Blue Rose Knights as well. Yami dispelled his pent-up tension with an exhale, nodded at Charlotte who ensured there were no more lurking threats, then approached the siblings.

"Albina. Show me to her." His voice was dangerously low, and as sharp as the edge of his blade.

Elle sniffled, then whispered a reply. "There's a cabin a half-mile north of here."

Immediately turning his gaze north, he summoned his broom and flew away.

The cabin Elle spoke of was covered in snow, but in the lowering sunlight it's slender height cast a shadow that could be seen through the thinning trees. Not wasting more thoughts on anger, he barged inside and found a petite, pale blonde, laying on the floor. Her white skin was made all the more ghostly by the frost that covered her in a thin layer, like a second skin.

Upon touching her, Yami found the girl's body to be cold as ice. His first impression told him she was dead, but Elle had spoken as if Albina was alive. Must be some spell, he decided.

Taking her in his arms, Yami carried her onto the broom and returned to the village. Their increased proximity allowed him to feel the ever-so subtle hint of her ki, fighting to stay afloat in what must've felt like a frozen ocean. Clenching his jaw, the darkness creep over him again at thinking about what Elle had done.

What all had she been responsible for? And furthermore, why? His patience was wearing thin, but he wouldn't condemn her until he heard the truth.

Upon his return, he saw the mess in the forest had been cleaned up in record time and the villagers, along with all the Magic Knights sent to help, were gathered near the village hall. He dropped to his feet, cradling Albina, just as Charlotte was saying something to both the chief and both the girl's families.

The Damant's eyes were wet with tears, but they refrained from embracing their two children, still snuggly imprisoned by Charlotte's side. The Clarise family rushed to Yami and he passed off their daughter to her father, who wailed at the sight of his frozen girl.

"She'll be okay," he assured the couple, who now looked at him with gratitude— unlike earlier in the day. Though he'd earned his title as Captain, he was glad he was able to prove that and earn the respect of these commoners. "You have a strong daughter."

They thanked him and he turned to stand next to Charlotte. She held her head high, but not so much as to look down on those she was speaking to. Her patience and diplomacy served to handle the public relation aspects of the mission. The difference between her and Yami was like night and day when it came to things like this; she was much better than he'd be ever capable of.

"You were right to reach out to the Capital," Charlotte said, addressing the village chief. "I am relieved we got both young women back safely. But, they are members of your village. If this was an outside threat, that would've been a concern to the King. As it is, the issue is internal and I hesitate to intervene further. We are indebted to you for the generous lodging and welcome, but I am certain that there's more that needs to be done to fix this than what we can provide."

The Chief nodded as she spoke and wrung his hands together. Yami narrowed his eyes, sensing that such a deep wound was not caused overnight, and the villagers— or at least some of them— knew of the problem before all hell broke loose.

From the static in the air between the two families standing next to their rescued daughters, he figured they were the best to start with. Charlotte may be good at healing wounds, but this one needed to be opened and cleaned before it was covered up again and left to fester. If he was good at anything, it was getting the gritty truth, and even if that meant by force.

He turned first to the Damants, who threw distressed looks at their bound children every few seconds. "Before we discuss how to deal with you daughter, is there anything you'd like to say?"

Mrs. Damant swallowed, her eyes darker and mouth more turned down than earlier. Yami knew the expression of guilt and shame, but this wasn't it. Whatever Elle did, they had no knowledge of it.

Clearing his throat, Mr. Damant stepped forward and met Yami's eyes with wavering certainty. "We apologize profoundly for the damage done today. If you and your squads hadn't been here, the village might have been destroyed."

From behind, Elle made a disgusted sound from the back of her throat.

"Elle," Liam whispered, worn out but trying his best to continue his role of damage control.

"Let her speak," Yami said.