Damsel in Distress

~CHARLOTTE~

Charlotte noticed Yami's voice was slightly huskier than usual today and his whispering only accentuated that fact. The sound of his voice, the feelings he had just admitted to her, the warmth of his body wrapped around her, the touch of his hand... it overwhelmed every cell in her body.

This is a joke, right? Then why did Yami say he wasn't joking? Was he just... pretending? The way he was looking at her... Charlotte couldn't look away. It was the same as when he had rescued her from the cursed briars. She had to regain her composure before she completely melted into him.

"Your eye, is it alright?" She forced her mind to shut out everything that 'wasn't important'.

"Yeah, I wouldn't mind you healing me like that more often. I didn't know you could use that kind of spell," Yami responded, letting go of her hand and sitting back upright. He continued, "Anyways, we're almost to the village."

Charlotte couldn't decide if she was more relieved or disappointed that he sat up, but quickly dismissed any thoughts she might have about it. Those things... those feelings... weren't important. Julius had sent them on a mission after all.

"Julius didn't give us much of a briefing on the thieves. How do you plan to take them down?" Charlotte knew Yami was a natural leader, even though he hated the role. She always found herself looking to him for advice.

"Well, I haven't thought about it actually. I guess we'll just go into town and beat the crap out of em." Charlotte was more than a little disappointed at his answer. What did I really expect?She chided herself.

"Yami... it's not like they are just going to be standing in the middle of the village, waiting around for us to come 'beat them up'," she mocked him with her last words. He needed to get serious now. She heard a not-so-stifled laugh from behind her.

"I'm being serious Yami! Cut the jokes out, I've had enough for today!" She was answered with another, but slightly more stifled, laugh from Yami.

"I was being serious! But alright my Prickly Queen, for the rest of the day I swear to be serious," he said in his usual tone.

Wait... MY Prickly Queen? As in HIS? As in.... Charlotte again cut off her train of thoughts. She hoped Yami stuck to his promise this time, her heart couldn't bear any more of his shenanigans.

"Do you have anything valuable on you someone would want to steal?" He asked.

"I suppose my ring would do," she held her hand up so Yami could see the dainty ring on her middle finger, "It's a family heirloom though, so nothing- and I mean nothing- can happen to it."

"Rodger that, I think it would be good bait. I'll make sure it gets back on your finger just as it is now." Charlotte didn't want to trust him so much, but she did. He was one of the few people she trusted with her life.

"Ok, here's the plan..." Yami laid out his scheme to her, and she was relieved he was finally back to his normal self.

He let her off the broom near the outskirts of the village and she walked in the rest of the way. At first she had been concerned that her attire would give her away, but Yami said all she needed to do was pretend she was one of those snob-nosed nobles who was lost in the woods.

At the first sight of a building, she fixed her mind on being the best damsel in distress she could and daintily knocked on the door. It opened with a creak. A commoner opened the door, a man with field worker's clothing and a simple brown grimoire strapped across his chest. Shock lit up his tired eyes as he took in her noble woman's clothing, her shining hair, and the sparkling ring Charlotte carefully displayed as she rested her hand over her chest.

"Good sir, I have been wandering alone in these woods and need immediate help. I, um, I am in distress! I am covered in leaves and have missed my afternoon tea! Please, would you direct me to someone who would take me back to my family's mansion?" Charlotte said in what she hoped was a feminine voice.

The man huffed, obviously irritated that he had to be the one to deal with her. Men are so useless, look at the way he's avoiding eye contact! He might as well slam the door in my face and admit defeat.

"The local tavern is down the road. Go to the center of town and you'll see it on the right. I'm sure someone else can help you there." With that, he did slam the door in her face. She exhaled, reminding herself to not break her composure and give herself away. She stomped off as daintily as she could manage in her annoyance, and cursed both Yami and Julius for making her play such a foolish role.

A/N: How do you react when people slam the door in your face?

Honestly I did not expect my first fanfic to go this far! I appreciate all of your support, keep voting and commenting! If you have any advise for me I'm always looking for ways to improve!