Cursed Love

~YAMI~

Yami took deep breaths, forcing his body to calm down. Charlotte looked up at him, her soft blue eyes threatening to crack his composure, but he had to hold it together. It took nearly all his mental strength to not take her into his arms again. He ached in more ways that one and cursed himself for deciding to do this first.

Pushing himself off the wall to let her escape, he flexed his muscles to asses the damage and groaned inwardly. Why did that feel so good? Nothing past a small scrape though, I can easily pass this off as collateral damage from the cave wall. I really wonder if this is what I think it is... well... time for part two.

"I don't understand what's going on, Yami. What's... wait! Why are you bleeding?" Charlotte had stepped out from between him and the wall. Her eyes tore open wide as she reached for his back.

"Did  you come from a fight? You have small gashes from your lower back all the way up to your shoulder," she walked around him, touching him lightly with her fingers where his skin seared with the faint remnants of pain.

"It must have been from leaning against this rough wall, nothing to worry yourself over, but, I'd love to see that healing trick of yours again," he responded, having regained his right mind.

Out of her hand bloomed a delicate rose, which she pressed lightly to his lower back. Her soothing magic tingled as she moved up in a twisting diagonal line towards his shoulder. They were both silent as she healed him, but for different reasons.

Once she had reached the top of his arm he turned slightly to face her and tenderly took her hand in his, inspecting the inside of her palm. There in grew one of her exquisite roses, a sweet miniature version of her more menacing ones. Except, there was one slight change to her characteristic flower. This one wasn't sapphire blue, rather a color leaning more towards indigo, less of a true blue and almost bordering purple.

He raised his eyes from their hands to look at Charlotte, who was biting her lip and fixated on the rose. He sighed, not wanting to bear the responsibility of shedding light on this particular topic. He decided to pry for any other explanation than the one he had in mind.

"Charlotte, have your roses ever changed color like this before?"

"No."

"Were you ever told that something like this might happen?"

"No."

She was trying to block out her emotions again, he had gotten used to noticing the signs. Her stony tone, her lack of response, her unflinching gaze and tensed muscles, they all were her go-to defense when she couldn't run away. Not knowing how to comfort her, other than to speak what was on his mind, he opened his mouth to take the plunge but she beat him to it.

"I know what wounds look like when it was my briars that inflicted them." Denial and confusion cracked through her facade, darkening her poised expression. Yami felt a stab in his heart that stung much more than what he felt from her magic. This isn't your fault.

He tried to console her, "It's nothing I can't handle. I suspected it would happen and I walked into it regardless. It happened the first time we kissed too, but it was just a small vine that creeped up my hand. When it didn't happen the next time I kissed you, by the fire, I started to think about what the difference was. Do you see where I'm going?"

"When I'm... passionate... then I lose control of my magic and attack you?"

"Sort of. I think, that since it happened to be me who cut you lose from your cursed briars, for some reason they still gravitate towards me. I don't know why it only happens when we kiss and not when we argue, perhaps we haven't fought that intensely yet. None of that explains the change of color though, which I only guessed might be affected because it's connected to the curse. I don't have a solid explanation for that part yet. Everything I'm saying is just a hunch right now."

He paused, having gotten the biggest burden off his chest, "But, Char, I don't think of you differently because of it. If anything, it... it makes me want to kiss you more." Trying to convey his sincerity through his eyes, he looked to her with every feeling coursing through him, but he was afraid it wasn't enough. This might have been too much to throw at her like he did.

A/N: If you hate me for this plot twist then I accept it. Don't worry it will be explained further along in the story.