About You

Yami ran a hand over his face, pushing strands of deep russet hair back past his forehead. His clothes were rigid with snow and ripped where the ice had cut through the thin fabric. He had tough skin, so the cold didn't really bother him, but looking at his reflection in the now-dark window, he could see he'd been on the verge of frostbite.

He'd hate to know what he'd look like if this battle had been fought against real flesh and blood instead of snow golems. In the middle of battle, red had looked lovely on Charlotte's roses, but it didn't suit him. Nor would he want Charlotte to worry about him, as she surely would.

A bath and fresh clothes were in order, but even after he cleaned up he was sure remnants of the battle would linger. A little girl did so much damage, and didn't see what was wrong with it all until the effect of her actions were shoved in her face.

Sometimes, he didn't understand the world. Feeling insignificant or unheard, that he could sympathize with, but proving a point by causing others harm? His whole life, he'd never considered that even as an option.

Again, he was glad Charlotte had been by his side through the whole ordeal. He didn't have to look over his shoulder to know she was there, or even feel for her ki. He just knew. For not the first, nor the second, nor the hundredth time today, he sent a silent prayer to whoever was in charge. One more added to the stack that was sure to be cramping heaven's file cabinets by now.

Thank you, for her.

Yami was far from being a wordsmith, not even close to having the ability to craft a sentence fit to hold the proper form of his feelings, but that didn't stop him from trying. Maybe one day, when he had to face whatever lay beyond this life, he'd have Charlotte there to translate for him— because she had to be an angel.

The bathroom door opened and his Prickly Queen stepped out, cushioned in a white bathrobe. A healthy, deep flush from the water's heat touched her cheeks, her hair wet and pulled back into a simple braid. Blue eyes wandered from the dresser over to the window, where they stopped on his form and softened.

Tension left his shoulders as his lips automatically pulled into a smile. "Aren't you a sight for sore eyes."

She scoffed, face frozen between a teasing smile and a shy blush. "The, um, the bath is all yours."

"Thank you." With two steps he closed the distance between them and leaned in to place a kiss on her cheek. Unable to help himself, he followed with another quick peck to her lips. "I shouldn't be long."

She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and hummed her acknowledgement.

Yami wasn't one to yearn for comfort or luxury, but hot water washing away the stains of the day felt extraordinary. He sighed as he dried off, eager to have Charlotte back in his arms. Where she belonged.

However, when he entered the bedroom, he wasn't met with the sight of a relaxed or slumbering Charlotte. Face pinched in ever-so-slight apprehension, she sat at the end of the bed hunched over her knees.

"Something the matter?" he asked, pausing in front of her before sitting to her right.

A deep sigh prefaced her reply. "It's not all that significant."

Frowning, he brought his hand to her bare thigh, skin now cold from the chilly air. "It must be."

"No," she shook her head, "I'm just being silly." Her hand came to rest lightly over his, and she looked over with an attempt at a smile. She should know by now he could read her like a book, and could easily tell the difference between a forced smile and a genuine one.

"Let's hear it, then," he prompted, braiding their fingers. Though her skin was cold, her touch felt inexplicably warm. Not in a way that brought heat to his cells, but in a way that enveloped with a cozy feeling of right-ness.

She leaned into him and closed her eyes. "When you charged into the woods... that exact moment I just can't forget. Watching you disappear into the snow..." She shook her head, then stood. "I do not doubt your ability to win, but I can't ignore the possibility of injury."

Her blue eyes were colder than usual, as if contemplating the worst possible outcome. He understood completely, but never imagined she felt about him the exact way he felt about her.

"I would never risk my life unnecessarily. You don't have to worry about me, just protect yourself."

"That's unfair, and you know it." Eye flashing, she pinned him with not only her gaze, but her briars as well. They closed around his wrists and restrained him to the end corners of the bed. "You'd throw yourself in front of an attack for me any day, can you not expect me to do the same for you? I need to know I can protect you. When we go into battle together, we need to have each other's backs."

A/n: ...

Brace yourselves for the next chapter.