Unleash

Battle. An army, she could handle. Swords, she could counter. Magic, she could out-do.

A battle of the lips? ...Love?

She was outmatched.

Pulled into Yami's arms, she lost balance and fell sideways. He caught her by swooping one arm behind her back and retrieved his sword with the other, all the while keeping his lips attached to hers. Charlotte was not one to feel weak, but she certainly appreciated Yami's exceptional strength. Golems and icicles melted away as she took him in, lost the world and found her universe.

So familiar, so tender, and so much. The fact was she did trust him, and to the core of her very soul she loved him. Which is why she closed her eyes and kissed him back. Her vines rescinded as he stole her breath away.

Lips— used to convey emotion, and many emotions cannot be fit into words. In that kiss she told him secrets no one else could hear, truths meant only for him. Her waist curved around his hand and her chest swelled into his.

She was worried, concerned for this village and for the girls that went missing, determined to pull through for everyone involved. Carrying the weight of so much rarely bothered her, but it took a toll.

No one could give her exactly what she needed like Yami could. He poured his pride into her and lit her up, inside and out.

No one could revitalize her heart like he could. A surge of passion coursed through her from head to toe, and she embraced him with a final hug before landing back on her feet.

In a snap she inhaled the crisp air again and saw the consequences of their exchange. Her vines had wrapped around Yami, his arms now bleeding from gashes that her own briars caused. Shocked, she looked at him in horror. He was— she injured him in the middle of a battle!

"You'll do fine," he said, giving her a rare smile and then leapt into the forest.

Immediately her briars lashed out to defend his back as he hacked his way deeper into the fray. Her briars. They were... growing red roses. Roses that were a deep, wine red and stood out against the snowy backdrop like elegant bloody embellishments.

Then, that meant he planned it this way. He kissed her to draw on her hidden strength. He broke her curse, took the pain so she could take over for him.

Several shouts came from behind her, and from the sound of it Tess was arguing with a young man.

"I know she's down there! Let go— she's my sister!"

"It's too dangerous!"

"Tess," Charlotte called, "Who is it? Liam?" Liam, as in Elle's older brother.

"Hey—!" Tess shouted, followed by a huff.

"Yes," Liam said, fighting to Charlotte's side. "I know this is her. I feel her mana." His frost magic could only slow down the golems, but it helped. She let him stand by her side, knocking away any oncoming icicles.

"Captain Yami will take her back, don't worry," Charlotte tried to reassure him.

"No you don't understand! This is all her!" He motioned with his arms. "It has to be."

She glanced over. Liam was anxious, but he didn't appear to be frantic to save his sister, rather... protect her.

"Your sister... Elle... is the mage behind this?" Charlotte asked.

He nodded. "Yes. I have to find her, talk to her."

"That's too dangerous right now. She could hurt you, even unintentionally," Charlotte warned.

"I'm the only one who can get through to her, I have to go." To prove his conviction, Liam stepped ahead of Charlotte and she had to redirect her briars at the last second to not hit him.

"Don't be brash!" she chided. "What about Albina? The other girl, is she helping Elle?"

"No," he answered, "I don't know anything about Albina, but she wouldn't help Elle."

Charlotte glanced at him one more time, grateful for the extra boost of power. If Yami hadn't done what he did, she couldn't have stopped the golems from getting to Liam. He wouldn't be able to even stand this close, much less get all the way to Elle.

"I will let you go help Yami, but you must listen to everything he tells you. He won't hurt your sister if it can be helped, understood?"

"Yes, understood. I just hope she doesn't harm him. No one needs to get hurt." Liam replied, furrowing his brows.

"Alright then. On my count I'll open a path where Yami went. Run until you see him," she instructed.

"Thank you," Liam said. He took a deep breath while she counted, then ran.