BonFire

~YAMI~

"Blaze it!!!" Magna called as he released a massive ball of flames. Everyone shouted in encouragement as it hit the stack of wood they had all gathered. Intense heat radiated outwards toward the spectators, the wood crackling and popping before collapsing under the influence of a hungry fire.

Next to him, Charlotte sighed as the warmth from the bonfire washed over her. If I had known she was cold, I would have put her in my arms. Now that I think about, she was only wearing that thin sundress...

Before his mind could linger on her short dress- and what lay beneath it- he pulled her into him. Her eyes lifted to meet his, a pleasant smile gracing her lips. Light danced along with shadow on her face; fire and moonlight.

"You know, I really wish we were alone right now," he whispered.

"Yes, me too but... I enjoy being with everyone, too," she replied. He was expecting a harsh comeback, but she had actually agreed with him. He felt a smile grow on his own lips, something that didn't happen very often. She liked being with his rough riders, the bat-crazy black bulls. The Blue Roses were fun to be around too, he was glad they weren't all workaholics like Charlotte.

"Hey Captain Charlotte," Asta said, walking over to them. Yami raised his eyebrows, what did the kid want from his Char?

"Hi, Asta," Charlotte greeted him.

"It's been really fun having the Blue Rose Knights around. Yami's also been a little nicer lately, so thank you. We all think you two are really great for each other," Asta said.

Yami's jaw almost dropped. Did Asta just call him mean before he started dating Charlotte? No, he said everyone had.

"Well, ah, I- thank you," Charlotte managed to get out. "I really enjoyed hanging out with everyone, too. We'll have to get together more often."

Asta smiled from ear to ear. Yami didn't know whether to scowl or show his pride. "There's also supposed to be a meteor shower tonight, so we're all gonna make a wish on the first shooting star we see."

"And what are you going to wish for?" Yami asked him.

"For Sister Lily to marry me!" With that, Asta scampered off to rejoin the others.

Charlotte laughed lightly, something she had been doing a lot today, and he was loving it. "That boy really is a ball of energy isn't he? Hard to believe he's been bullied his whole life for not having a drop of mana in him."

"He's a good kid- they all are." Yami replied. Knowing his squad, they'd do something stupid before the night was over and ruin it all. Didn't matter to him, their deviousness never had. Their successes were all worth it, even if they failed a million times before they got it right. God knew he had failed more times than he could count.

"What's on your mind?" Charlotte asked, holding her hands out towards the still blazing fire.

"Hm, just how amazing you are for loving a failure like me."

"Yami! You're not a failure!" Charlotte reprimanded. Unable to help himself, he laughed. If only she knew. I guess love really is blind. Well, I'm not complaining. She looks so cute when she gets defensive over me...

"Not after you came around. Didn't you hear what Asta said?" He said.

"That's not what he meant," she retorted, turning her back to him.

"What are you going to wish for?" He asked, changing the subject.

Leaning back, she rested her head on his shoulder and looked up into the dark sky. Stars glistened above, hanging like celestial ornaments.

"I don't know. Before I'd wish to either forget about you or be able to love you freely, but now... I think all I want is for my squad to be strong and happy. Even though I gave my heart away to a man," she said softy.

"If it's any consolation, you possess that man's heart in exchange for yours," he replied. In spite of how her face was turned away, he could sense a smile on her lips.

"What are you going to wish for?" She asked, twisting so she could see his face. The darkness above beckoned his eyes to the sky, and he let her study his expression as he thought.

"My wish..." His brows furrowed, thinking about all the dangers he didn't want to come true. Thinking tended to be a negative pastime for him, so instead he turned to either slashing something apart or drinking.

Just then the first shooting star streaked past, a tail of light arching across the veil of space. Gasps and coos arose from around them, followed by a buzz of whispers.

"Guess I missed my wish," he hummed. Two more meteors flew by.

"It's alright. I made one for you," Charlotte whispered back.

Always thinking outside of herself.

"I wished that you won't feel the need to carry the weight of the world on your shoulders anymore, because I'll be helping you from now on."

There was nothing he could say in reply to that.