Wounded

Her parents knew. While they were just as mystified as the rest of the village on how, they knew why. The mana of the mountain spoke to them as clearly as it did her. The rest ignored it, hypnotized by promises of wealth and recognition instead of the riches in their own land.

Eyes red and stinging, Elle spared a look at her parents. They had gotten used to blending into the background and now, standing in front of the crowd had taken a toll. Her mother looked desperate to go home and cradle her children, but Elle wasn't a child anymore and no one saw her as one after today. Her father tried to balance between comforting his wife and speaking with the others.

They looked particularity ragged standing next to the Chief, in his new tailored suit, Charlotte, with her impeccable beauty, and the Clarise's, who even while crying appeared docile and refined. Elle felt nothing like any of them.

Her family had always been bony or obtuse where others expected graceful curves, and their preference of solitude never helped. In the middle of winter they enjoyed silence, listening to the soft falling of the snow. That came to bite them in the back, as slowly others retreated more and more. Rumors circled with increasing severity as time went on.

Useless. An eyesore. Outcasts.

No one bothered to spend time with them, not nearly enough to learn. Not about them as people, or about the place they loved. For this, Elle had to give Charlotte an ounce of credit— it wasn't her place to fix the damage.

She scoffed as her father apologized. This wasn't his fault. Her brother protested with the last drops of strength that were left in him. His skinny body looked sickly pale, energy over-expended on both dodging her attacks and attempting to calm her down. Her heart softened. He had too gentle of a soul, was too nice for his own good, and Elle, having made him walk into a battle, felt the conviction in her plan sag under the weight of regret.

Even so. Just because she didn't want to truly hurt anyone didn't mean she wasn't finished. When Yami gave her the chance to speak, she took it.

"My family had nothing to do with this. They don't deserve any more punishment."

"Any more?" Charlotte's sculpted eyebrow furrowed, the blue of her eyes like the reflection of a summer lake. Repulsive. 

Elle frowned at her. "Does the princess have something to say?"

Yami's energy shifted again, but this time he had no excuse to draw for his sword. Though, something told Elle he didn't need an excuse.

"I am no princess," Charlotte replied coolly. "You've been permitted to speak up for yourself, but you are in no position to degrade others." To sharpen her point, so to speak, the thorns of her briars lengthened a millimeter.

Elle exclaimed as they dung into her skin. The Captain was stronger than she originally thought.

"You'd use your power to harm me?" she spat, not distracted by the pain. "All that beauty is just a tool to control others, isn't it? All you've ever wanted is power."

"Why would you think that of me?" Charlotte's voice was soft, not angry or bitter as expected.

"A woman as beautiful and spoiled as you wouldn't understand."

"Try me."

Elle took in a deep breath, the first one in what felt like a lifetime. "Treat me how you will. The rest of the village sees me as a lump of coal, and I can't blame them. I'm nothing to look at. My snow magic is nothing special here, and I can be difficult to talk to. But," she paused and swept her gaze around the onlookers, "I am not defenseless. All this village has concerned itself with was getting the attention of the Capital, and I did it for them."

"Are her words true?" Yami asked, directing the question to the village Chief.

"Y-yes, she's not wrong," the Chief stuttered.

"Why." Under Yami's gaze, anyone would shrink. "What else did you want?"

"We were worried about an attack such as this. Having p-protection from the Capital.. r-recognition... would ensure our safety and p-prosperity."

"You're asking us for recognition when you can't manage pay attention to this girl?" Charlotte said. "She wouldn't feel the need to cause a disturbance if you'd noticed her suffering." The words reprimanded the Chief, and the rest of the village along with him.

"I, ah—" he stammered.

"That's why you kidnapped out daughter?" Mrs. Clarise interjected, pointing a finger at Elle.

"You're right, your daughter is something special." Elle screwed up her face. "She provided me with the perfect opportunity to get everyone's attention. If it were only I that went missing, no one would've lifted a finger."

"You almost killed her!" Mrs. Clarise yelled.

"Everyone calm down." Yami glared at them all. Except Charlotte.

"You haven't explained," Charlotte said, focused on Elle. "Why was your family being 'punished'?"

Elle's face softened. Captain Charlotte did care, at least more than those who lived along side Elle and her family.  She began to think even if Charlotte wasn't outwardly blessed, her inward virtue would shine just as bright.