Knight without Armor

~YAMI~

Yami was cloaked in the shadow of a large oak tree, waiting on his broom above the village. He stood scanning the village for signs of trouble. The sun was low in the sky, providing him with additional cover but impairing his vision.

Charlotte could handle these guys singlehandedly, so why am I on edge right now? I'm just uneasy about not knowing what's going on. If anything bad happens, I'm only seconds away. His rambling thoughts were put to ease as a familiar ki entered his range of sense. Confidence flowed out from her like the fragrance from a garden in full bloom. Charlotte was coming up from behind him, approaching the center of the town.

His gaze rested on the one place whose business was just picking up at this time of day. Laughter and light tumbled out from the windows of the small pub, growing louder as more men sauntered in. Yami grimaced at Charlotte walking alone towards a place like that. As strong as she was, a hoard of drunk horney men could actually break through her barriers if they caught her off-guard. He focused more on her ki, wanting to sense any sign of trouble or worry before things got out of hand.

Is she angry? Her movements seem flustered. I swear if anyone touches her... He growled, cursing himself for the stupid plan he came up with on the fly. If Charlotte wasn't so dependent on planning everything, he would have figured out something that didn't put her in this situation.

She stepped into the tavern and her ki disappeared into the crowd. If he wanted to know what was going on, he'd have to get closer.

Using the forest as cover he flew in behind the building. He felt a malicious ki radiating from in the bar. It wasn't rowdy like the villigars, more calculated and watchful, coming from the corner.

There were four, maybe five, men with a larger than average mana pool. Still, he couldn't just barge in and risk Charlotte getting taken hostage. Charlotte's ki was agitated, she was hesitant but persistent. He could hear her voice faintly drifting from inside.

"I am in need of assistance! I am a lady for goodness sakes! Won't someone help me get back home?" Her voice was a higher pitch than usual, she was really laying it on thick.

"Hey liddle miss, this'ss the only fun I get all day, so shut yur trap."

"Jus' come in an join us!"

"Yeeaash, 'ave a few drinkss with us an I'll take ya right back home."

Charlotte was getting more nervous. It took everything within him to restrain his urge to step in. They had come this far, she was doing her job so he had to do his.

"Are you willing to pay up?" A voice arose from the crowd, it wasn't slurred like the rest and was more direct.

"I- I don't have any money on me," her voice cracked as she spoke. Yami dug his nails into the wall, splinters pricking his fingertips. He couldn't barge in just yet.

Just hold on a little longer. Lure them outside and I'll pounce. Don't keep up your facade if it gets too dangerous.

"What about the ring on your pretty little finger? That will do as fair payment."

"What? Oh this? Well... it's not for sale, but I do need to get home..."

"Hey, I'm sure we can work something out later. Let me escort you home, sweetie."

Yami struggled to keep his composure. He was really going to enjoy ruffing these men up. The front door swung open and he felt the malicious ki as well as Charlotte's leave the building. He wasn't going to wait one second longer.

Running out from behind the building, he heard a muffled scream and saw four burly men pinning her down. The biggest man, probably their leader, was crouched over top of her like a predator with its prey, her hand clasped in both of his.

An emotion stronger than anger ripped through Yami's body. He released his dark aura and slashed at the men, questions could come later. The leader of the gang leaped off of her, shaking off his surprise and opened his grimwoire.

Briars erupted out from underneath Charlotte, cutting into the men holding her down and tossing them aside. She lifted herself back onto her feet and quickly captured the dazed men, constricting them with her thorny vines.

Yami ran in between her and the gang leader, squaring his solders and planting his feet firmly into the ground. This guy was about to learn a lesson he would never forget.

A/N: I'm totally spacing on what to call the thing Charlotte grows her briars out of and I'm too lazy to look it up. It's like a hilt or something???