Solemnly Swear

guys, Guys, GUYS #1 on #BlackClover tag?!?

Ahhhhhhh!!!!! Let's celebrate, so raise your glass of preverbal champagne and let's toast to another great chapter! *does awkward happy dance alone in my room*

~YAMI~

Charlotte pulled Yami's arms around her, sinking herself into his larger frame. Her extra affection was more than welcome, and his heart expanded as if it, too, wanted to wrap around her. He rested his chin on the top if her head for added effect, but he could feel her ki shifting uneasily- as if something was troubling her.

Is she afraid? No, this wouldn't scare Captain Charlotte... it's more of an apprehensive feeling. Even for unexpected situations, it's unlikely for her to be so uneasy about them, even if they are unpleasant.

His attention turned back to Kahono, who spoke again, "Whenever a gentle giant of the sea passes away, it is our responsibility to send it off to the afterlife. Our unique abilities give us the chance to guide the creature's soul to peaceful waters."

Kiato's eyes reflected the deep blue of the ocean, he was clearly mourning the death of the whale, but didn't speak much on the matter.

"Is there anything we can do?" Charlotte's soft voice spoke up. Of course she's offer assistance. I should have done so by now, but I was too caught up in her emotions. Once again she amazed him with her capacity to carry on despite the turmoil around- or within- her.

"We have a few members of our squad's here as well if they can be of use," Yami offered.

"The offer is appreciated, but more people would only draw a crowd. You two are welcome to stay while we perform a song and dance in it's honor," Kaito said.

"Although, when we are finished with the ceremony, we'd love to join you on the beach," Kahoho added, attempting to lighten the mood. When her smile was met with somber faces and the persistent stench, it faded from her face. Clearing her throat, she added, "Best to send it off before the decomposition attracts any more scavengers."

It was such a strange thought, life and death. One could never have one without eventually meeting the other. Yami had met death many times, evaded it on multiple occasions, and seen it in the eyes of comrades. He had even caused animals- even a few other wizards- to be taken away by the grim reaper. Yet seeing it here felt different. No, seeing it with Charlotte felt different.

The train of thought was pierced through by a long a low note, sung by Kahono. Her voice was stunning as usual, but this time it carried a timeless tone, one that ebbed and flowed, dipped and rose. There was a slight raspiness in her notes that reminded him of nature- unpolished yet beautiful.

Following the introductory phrase of the song, Kaito stepped onto the surface of the waves, as if he were an angel dancing through the air. The sea responded to their performance by bringing in a new wind, one that twirled around in graceful movements, and lifted the fabric of their robes to accentuate the dance.

Yami was amazed as the sea rose at their call, shifting the sand underneath his and Charlotte's feet. Just as he was about to call for his broom, he felt a patch of sand secure his footing, Kahono having spared them the choice of swimming or being carried away by the elevating waters. She had spared some of her attention and magic to ensure their comfort, but her song did not waver.

The whale's body slowly drifted out to the sea, carried by the dancing waves. Seeing the sea take back it's own should be comforting, but in this moment Yami's heart clenched. The heat from Charlotte's skin blanketed his fingers, warmed his chest and seeped into his veins, but he couldn't help but picture her skin cold. Her heart silent. He couldn't bare a life without her.

Someday... will the Earth take her away from me? Will someone be singing and dancing around her body, drained of life?

Kahono's notes grew louder, became more drawn out as the whale sunk under the salt water, the breeze whisking away the lingering scent of death. It was as if the whale had never been there. Now, it was a part of the ocean, no longer privileged to live a life of its own but rather to serve the creatures who still clung to theirs. Kaito's arms spread open wide, his face relaxed and eyes closed as a spray of water swirled around his pointed toes.

There was only one way Charlotte would ever suffer death, and that was over Yami's dead body. No danger, human or devil, could touch her unless it got through him. He would surpass every limit in the grimoire to protect her, to preserve her life. If he was left standing while she tumbled down on death's door step, he would never forgive himself.