Shadow of a Dream

Dorothy paced in the dream world, pastel-colored stones appearing under her feet as weapons of mercy formed in the air around her. She didn't dare create an imitation of the man she missed, only the real thing would do, but his magic—his pride and life's ambition—was so closely associated to him that it came unbidden.

By the time he returned to her, she'd have an entire arsenal waiting. Should anyone come in pursuit or with bad intent, they wouldn't survive a second after being pulled into her magical dimension. Nothing would stand between her and the people she had vowed to protect.

She fretted over the state of the Magic Knights while keeping a vigilant eye on the Capital. Its defense relied more heavily on her shoulders since the rescue party had left that morning, but over all else she wished she were at her lover's side.

She wasn't worried about him—Nozel would be fine, he was a strong as any opponent could ever be. That didn't mean it didn't make her heart ache not knowing where he was. What shape he was in. Not being one of those sent to help.

Of course she knew Solid would bring him back at all costs. They would all put down their lives to save their comrades, and the trust she had in her fellow magic knights was what gave her the strength to stay behind. She would play her part, and as a team they would claim victory.

She wondered if he had been able to team up with the other captains that were taken, or if they had all been separated. She assumed the latter, since the four of them together would too much of a handful. And although only a little over a day had passed, she was sure he had to have been restrained in some way. Something, or someone, was holding him back.

Her feet clacked against the pavestones she summoned to walk on. Sound could be silenced in her world, but she found the pitter-patter eased the static in her mind, gave her something to focus on. But now it grew irritating.

Pausing, she took a deep breath and let it out slowly through her lips.

Nozel.

Only a name, that's all she let invade her mind and the dream world. Yet those fives letters, two syllables, filled the space so much that it cracked. Slipping to her knees onto a pillow, she bowed her head and stared into her shadow.

Funny how as soon as you couldn't see someone, that's when you wanted them the most. They had gone weeks without spending more than a few minutes together, but the memories she had with him from a few nights ago now seemed like light-years in the past.

Nozel.

In the black smudge of her shadow's outline she imagined as much of him as she dared without summoning a copy. His eyes, piercing and as crisp as the reflection on a blade. The precise braid of his bangs, with the cross that pointed to soft lips she knew so intricately.

Dorothy?

Emotion welled in her chest and she placed a hand on the ground in front of her. His voice—

Is that you? Answer me.

How? Could it really be him? Or was this a figment of her heart's desire, manifest by the dream realm? The tips of her fingers pricked, and she drew her palm over her shadow following the feeling.

The tiniest pressure responded, and she all but cried. Are you real? she asked.

I heard you say my name, though I can't hear anything else. Nozel responded. My senses have been dulled by some magic. If I could see you, hold you, believe me I would.

A tiny gasp escaped her. This must be the real Nozel, if the voice was a product of her magic then there would be no reason for his other senses to be impaired. As much as she wanted to tear apart whatever separated them, she didn't want to waste this opportunity.

Are you alright? A rescue party was sent out this morning, they are headed for the Obsidian Desert. She didn't know how long their connection would last, and wanted to relay as much information as possible.

The Obsidian Desert... Nozel pondered, taking his time to reply. I cannot say for certain where I am. I must be in some other dimension, to communicate with you this way.

Of the other magic dimensions she had heard of, the most likely candidate would be the shadow realm. Since his presence emanated from her shadow, that must mean a shadow mage had captured them. And the others? she asked.

I cannot sense them.

She couldn't either. They must be holding you in separate shadow prisons.

I see. He paused for a long while, and she began to worry he had been cut off. Are you alright? he inquired.

Her fingers dug into the soft pillow underneath her, trying to reach into the shadow and pull him out. Of course she was alright; she wasn't the one who had been taken. But the part of Nozel others rarely got to see, in that small part that housed his heart, she knew how deeply he cared for the wellbeing of others. Not just their physical health, but their mental and emotional states as well.

I miss you, she admitted. I will be waiting here when you return.

You won't have to wait long, my love, he replied.

A/n: Anyone else agree that Nozel is an undercover cinnamon roll?

THIS FAN ART THO>>