Chapter 71

Word Count:
Edited: 1371

I anxiously tapped my feet against the floor as we waited for the others to come back from the store. Eddie came up to sit in the passengers seat beside me.

"Hi." He said slowly.

"Hey, Eddie." I smiled back.

"Listen, I just wanted to thank you for risking yourself to help me. If anyone found out you'd probably be kicked off the cheer team so fast." He chuckled.

I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Eddie, I don't give a shit about the cheer team. Or the school or status." I said quickly. Eddie looked at me with his puppy dog eyes.

"I admit, it felt nice to be someone that was loved. Someone that everyone knew. But, I only really did it to get closer to Chrissy, maybe to try and help her in the end..." I said, looking down.

"You knew Chrissy was going to die?" He asked. Slowly, I nodded.

"Well, has your memory came back at all? I mean, how do we stop this thing?" He asked quickly. I squeezed my eyes shut and sighed.

"I ended up here before the rest of the season was released. I'm just as blind as you guys are." I said softly. Eddie gulped and sighed.

"That's..that's okay. You did all you could." Eddie got up and went to sit next to Dustin, making me frown.

I didn't have much time to dwell on it, however, because the door was ripped open and Nancy, Robin, Erica, and Steve rushed in.

"We have to go." Steve said quickly, I moved from the seat and back into the passengers seat quickly. Steve started the RV again before we took off.

As everyone made their own weapon adjustments, I stood off by myself and looked at everyone. Nancy and Max were cutting her shotgun, Lucas and Erica were making spears, and Eddie and Dustin were wrestling.

I smiled to myself as I watched my friends.

If this was truly the end for me, I'm glad it would be knowing these people.

I looked down at my hand and observed the ring that fit on my finger perfectly. It wasn't just a symbol of commitment for me, it was a symbol that no matter what monsters we have to face, there will always be a light that shines after battle.

"What are you thinking about?" I heard a voice ask. My eyes met with the little red heads, causing me to smile.

"Just about you guys. How much I love you all." I smiled. She frowned before lurching forward to pull me into a hug. I was caught off guard at first, and then I slowly placed my hands around her back.

"Thank you, Marley." She sighed.

"Why is everyone thanking me today." I chuckled, pulling her away to look at me.

"I just..I don't know..I guess family hasn't really been a known thing for me. Not until I got here, at least. You bring us all together. The good, the bad, and the ugly." We both laughed.

"I'm always going to be here, Max.." I said softly, touching her head ever so gently.

"Do you promise me?" She asked, scanning my eyes with her serious face. I leaned forward and placed my forehead on hers.

"I promise you." I whispered.

***

Everyone sat in the RV in silence. No one spoke. I guess no one really knew what to say. We were all facing the fact that this might very well be the last time we all see each other.