Chapter 7

Edited:
Word Count: 934

I covered my ears as the loud banging hit against the wall of my room. During sometime over the past couple days, Hopper had bought some stuff and put it in the guest bedroom so it was more believable that he knew I was coming.

But that guest room also happened to be next to his room. His room where he had just taken some woman for some wrestling matches.

Finally, getting tired of hearing the noises, I got up and put on a jacket before I went out to the balcony. It was still dark outside but the sun would come up soon.

I thought about what I would do. How I would get close to the situation enough to help. If I remembered right, Eleven was hiding out at Mike's house right now.

Barb would be taken tonight and Nancy and Steve will... I shuddered at the thought.

"Hey, kid." I heard behind me. Slowly, I turned and saw Hopper coming out, lighting a cigarette.

"Couldn't sleep?" He asked. I scoffed and turned back around to face the woods.

"How could I?"

"Oh..yeah. About that-"

"I don't care. You're not actually my dad or anything but I could like some sleep every once in a while. Hopper was silent, he came up beside me and leaned against the railing.

"So, anything you can hint for me tonight?"

"Well, you two aren't getting married.."

"About other things." He groaned, rubbing his face. I chuckled and looked down, shaking my head.

"Bad things are going to happen tonight. I wish I could help but there is only so much I can prevent. If I prevent what's going to happen, someone won't feel guilty about it and she won't get involved to help." I hinted.

"So, another missing person?" My silence was his answer.

"What else?" I didn't reply. Hopper sighed and took a hit of his cigarette.

"I signed you up for school today. You're officially Marley Hopper." He said, nudging me. I smiled and looked down at my hands trying to warm themselves.

"You aren't cursed by the way. I know that's what you're thinking. It's the town." I admitted.

"Ah, so you are psychic?" He joked. I chuckled and shook my head.

"No, but you talked about it. With that woman before. She'll be walking in pretty soon. Three...two.."

"What are you-oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize your kid was home." The lady said. I gave a knowing look to hopper who simply rolled his eyes.

"Where else would I be?" I asked, turning and putting my elbows on the railing.

"Well, out partying, I guess." She chuckled.

"Most kids your age do that." She added.

"Yeah, well, most kids my age wear more clothing too." I said, referring to the long shirt she was wearing that barely covered her lower half.

The woman scoffed.

"Some kid."

"Why don't you just give my kid and I minute, please?" Hopper said, gritted teeth. The woman rolled her eyes and went back inside.

"Charming one, isn't she?" Hopper laughed again and turned around.

"I can give you another hint." I said slowly. Hopper looked at me but I kept my eyes on the water.

"It's not that you're not looking hard enough. It's something stopping you from getting to the goal." Hopper sighed and patted my back.

"You kids and your riddles." Then, he brought me back inside to which he kicked the lady out and I was able to get some sleep.

***

"Joyce? Jonathan?" I called as I stepped out of the truck. They both turned and looked at me. I rushed up to them and grabbed Joyce in a hug.

"Are you okay? I heard what happened, I told my dad to let me come." Joyce let out a sob and held onto me tightly.

"It's not Will. Marley, you have to believe me." She begged. I sighed and turned to Jonathan, who was holding back tears.

I grabbed him tightly and pulled him into a hug. He held me just as tightly and I put my hand on the back of his head.

"You swore. Marley, you swore." He cried into my shoulder. I squeezed my eyes shut and held him tighter.

I did promise. I swore. You will see your brother again.

Hopper came up beside us, making us pull apart.

"Marley, can you...do you want to stay here? Just for tonight? Maybe Jonathan can take you to school?" I looked at Joyce who sighed and nodded quickly.

I knew why Hopper wanted me to stay, he was going to see Will's "dead body."

"Yes, yes, of course." She said. Jonathan nodded as well and I turned to Hopper again. He placed a hand on my head and closed his eyes.

"Stay safe, kid." I nodded, a few tears slipping from my eyes. We all watched as hopper retreated back into his vehicle. 

Jonathan rushed inside, going to his room immediately. I took Joyce's hand and brought her into the living room where I sat down with her on the couch.

"When we first met...you said to listen to the lights.." my throat closed and I looked down at my hands.

"You believe me, don't you? You know what's going on?" I didn't reply, to be honest, I didn't know how.

"That's okay, I won't push you. You believe me. That's all that matters." She sighed. I leaned my head on her shoulder and closed my eyes.

Okay, so this is a filler mostly, I'm sorry:/ but it'll get juicer, promise!