Chapter 16

Edited:
Word Count: 1254

"That'll be 24.50." I smiled from behind the desk. The woman smiled and handed me a 20 and a 10.

"Keep the change, sweetie."

"Thank you." I beamed. When she left, I turned towards my coworker Carter and held up the change. He sighed and shook his head.

"How much so far?" He groaned.

I pulled out the other money from my pocket and began to count it.

"32.79." I smirked, waving the money.

"I don't understand how." Carter said, looking at something behind me.

"It's because she's pretty." I heard. When I jerked my head around, I saw Steve staring at me with his hands in his pockets.

My face Instantly brightened.

"Steve." I greeted happily. He returned the smile and leaned against the counter.

"Hey, Colin." Steve said to the boy behind me.

"It's Carter." He corrected in annoyance. Then, he turned and began marking movies in his side of the counter.

Steve sucked air through his teeth.

"Sorry.." He whispered, I merely shrugged.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"Well, I called your house, no one answered and then I called Byer's house because that's usually where you're holed up at, and they said you were working today."

"So..." I said, nodding him to continue. Steve chuckled and checked his watch.

"I wanted to take you to do something. When do you get off?" He asked.

"Where's Nancy?" I asked. Steve rolled his eyes and walked over to the exit of the counter.

"We're not doing anything bad, Mar. You don't have to worry about upsetting Nancy. Now, what time do you get off?" He asked again. I huffed and checked my watch.

8:53

"In 7 minutes." I said to him.

"Perfect. I'm sure Calvin won't mind letting to go right now."

"Carter, god damn you." He said, turning around to face Steve. Steve held up his hands in defense before Carter turned to me.

"Go for it, it'll be dead for the rest of the night anyways." I rushed forward, kissing the boy on the cheek before grabbing my bag and rushed off with Steve.

"That kid is so into you." Steve teased as we got to his car. I held on the door handle, waiting for him to unlock it.

"He does not." I gasped. When Steve unlocked the car I got in.

"Are you kidding? I thought he was going to jump across the counter and strangle me when I called you pretty." He snorted, starting his car.

"Oh yeah? Maybe you shouldn't call other girls pretty when you have a girlfriend." Steve groaned and put his head on the back of the seat before pulling out and starting down the road.

"Please, Marley. Yee of little faith. I would never cheat on Nancy. Even if I did, I don't think she'd care enough to be mad." Steve replied honestly.

"Why do you say that?" I asked.

"Because..." he sighed.

"Because she'd always with Jonathan now, and when she's not..even if she's with me, she's not with me, you know?" I frowned and examined his face for any hurt.