Chapter 67

Edited:
Word Count: 1018

We got into the old Byers house and I sat Steve on the couch before Eddie and I went into the main bedroom to search.

It was mostly silent. I'm not sure if it was awkward silence or we genuinely had nothing to say to one another.

"They aren't here." I said in annoyance. Sitting on the bed and sighing.

"This isn't yours, is it?" Eddie asked, pulling a box of old baby toys. I furrowed my brows in confusion and stood up to examine them.

"No, no. Steve and I donated these after we bought the house.." I said slowly.

"Time in here must not have changed since I was in here the first time.." I said softly, sitting back down on the bed. I buried my face in my hands and tried to relieve the stress building up.

"Hey, Marley?" He asked, I heard Eddie ask. I hummed in response but didn't look up.

"You...you asked me what happened after Billy came to the bar all those years ago and I said nothing happened, right?" I looked up at him with question.

"Yeah?" I said slowly. Eddie sighed and sat next to me.

"That wasn't the...total truth.." He began.

"Billy came in while we were talking and must've thought that I was trying to hook up with you or something, he got super mad and told you to get the beer from the bar...after you left, he, like, grabbed me by the shirt and shoved me out the back door.." He started.

I frowned and turned more so I could see him. His eyes were on the ground as he searched through his mind.

"He told me, "Freaks like you stay away from girls like her. I know what's going on in your Pervy mind." And when I tried to tell him that, it wasn't like that...he punched me.." My eyes widened as he said the last words.

Billy never told me about that.

"He called me a queer, and a f—, just..hitting me and hitting me, man.." He voice began to shake and I placed a hand on his shoulder.

"I was so scared. So scared. Marley, I thought he was going to kill me." Eddie said, finally looking up at me.

"What..what stopped him?" I asked gently.

"Your dad." He said, looking between my eyes. I twisted my eyebrows in confusion and tried to remember how he stopped him.

"He came out through the back door and saw Billy hitting me and pulled him off. Hopper went on a huge rant about how if Billy ever touched me again then he'd never see you again..." Eddie quickly wiped his eyes.

"So I'd just see you and him together sometimes and just be so confused on how someone like him could be with someone like you." Eddie chuckled dryly.

I twisted the ring on my finger.

"I'm so sorry, Eddie. If I would've known then I never would've.."

"I know, Mar. I just wanted to tell you because the guilt of lying to you was eating me up."

"Thank you..I'm so sorry." I frowned, gently grabbing him and pulling him in for a hug. A few minutes went by of him just crying into my chest before he pulled away.

As Eddie was wiping his eyes, he started giggling, then he started chuckling, and finally he started full blown cackling.

I tried not to but I found myself laughing as well. Soon enough, we were both laughing loudly, sounding completely crazy.

"Hey, I'm sure the joke was incredibly funny, but, we're on a tight schedule." I heard Steve say from the doorway.

"Geez, sorry, dad." Eddie said, we both cackled again and stood up to followed Steve. Just as we opened the door, Robin and Nancy were on the other side.

I jumped and held my hand to my chest.

"We're in the past, I know..." I sighed. She nodded quickly and grabbed my hand before rushing back to her house.

"Nancy, slow down. We have a cripple to carry." Eddie said from behind us. She did in fact slow down, but not by much.

We burst through her doors and I felt her let go before she went into the dining room, pointing to the ceiling. I held my hands up in confusion before I heard the muffled voices.

My eyes widened and I turned to Steve and Eddie.

"Dustin is here!" I said with a gasp.

"Marley, my mind is..." Nancy said, slightly shaking.

"Going blank. How did you talk to Hopper in the upside down?" She questioned.

"Nance, I'm sure your dad wouldn't appreciate me blowing up your phone but I can try the lights." She nodded and went over to the switch.

Just like last time, the light above the dining table began to glow.

"Guys.." Steve said, pointing his flashlight at it.

Nancy reached her hand up and placed it in the sparkling dust. I watched as she moved her hand around the fascination.

"Woah." Eddie gasped.  Then Robin and Eddie walked up. I got on the table for more access and lightly touched it.

One by one everybody started to put their hands in the glowing dust.

"Trippy, huh? Will and I had a grand time messing around with this a couples time. You know, when I was getting my arm chewed off." I chuckled dryly. Everyone did the same.

"It... Tickles." Eddie smiled.

"It kind of feels good." Robin said, I smiled at her humorously and pulled my hand out.

"Marley. You know Morse code, right?" Nancy asked, looking at me.

"Yeah, and Steve. I'll try this room, you try the kitchen." I said to Steve. He nodded and went into the next room.

I began signaling, "SOS" repeatedly until they found out.

It took me a couple minutes before I heard Dustin's voice.

"We hear you!" Dustin yelled. I let out a cheer and threw my hands in the air.

"I got him!" I yelled. Steve came back into the room and looked at me proudly.