Chapter 9

Edited:
Word Count: 1248

I waved the pom-poms in my hands excitedly as I strutted my new uniform through the parking lot. Anxious to tell Jonathan how practice went.

When I saw Jonathan's car, I saw Steve and the rest of his gang standing by it, his bag in Steve's hands.

Oh shit. I whispered.

No this wasn't supposed to happen today...it was supposed to be before Will's "body" was found. I jogged up to meet with them again.

"Oh, hey! Ms. Cheerleader. Want to see what your boyfriends been doing?" Tommy H said. I looked at Jonathan, his ashamed look was over powered by my knowing one.

I knew I had to fake it.

"Really? Let me see." I smiled falsely, a fake high pitched tone in my voice. Tommy laughed and handed me the photos. I barely looked through them, knowing what they were but keeping up with the act.

"Oh, that's weird.." I gasped. Knowingly, I placed my bag on the ground and slowly started to inch it towards Jonathan.

"Guess we better take his toy from him." Steve smirked. The look on Jonathan's face was utter betrayal, but he didn't know what I was doing.

Jonathan sighed and reached for the camera. Just as Steve dropped it, I pushed my bag fully underneath so it crushed its fall.

Seconds later, I grabbed the camera and tossed it into Jonathan's hands behind me.

"What the hell, Marley." Tommy spit.

"Oh, I'm sorry." I said with a fake pout.

"Did you want me to leave Jonathan and Join your pathetic group? Please!" I laughed. I looked at Steve and clenched my jaw. His face contorted with an look unknown to me as he kept his arms crossed.

"You're all nothing but spoiled brats who's parents don't love enough to take care of. You get everything you could ever want and you still want more." I spit.

Carol scoffed and took a step towards me.

"Fine. Stick with the freak." She spit back. I turned to Jonathan and sighed.

"I'll pay for the damages, I promise." Jonathan furrowed his eyebrows in confusion before I leaned in his ear.

"Get in the car and get ready to book it." He nodded and took off for his front seat. I turned back towards the group and took a step for Steve. Slowly, I pushed him back, away from the car so he wasn't hit when we took off.

Then, I turned to Carol and smiled sweetly.

"What did you call him?" I asked. She laughed dryly and turned towards the two beside her. I noticed Nancy was looking down, avoiding conflict.

"I called him a freak-" I rushed forward, grabbing her by the back of the head before bringing her to the back of Jonathan's car and slamming it onto the trunk.

She let out a cry and fell back on the ground. Tommy and the other girl rushed to her side.

"And you're a slut." I spit. Rushing to the passengers side of Jonathan's car, I swung the door open and jumped inside.

"Go!" I yelled. Jonathan hit the brake, sending us backwards, barely missing Carol and Tommy before he zoomed through the parking lot.

"Holy shit!" Jonathan yelled as we drove down the road. I laughed loudly and drummed my hands on the dash.

"That was so badass!" He cackled.

"I wasn't about to let my best friend get harassed." I shrugged. Jonathan smiled and turned to me.

"Thank you, Marley. For a second there I thought-"

"I traded you for slut bags 1,2, and three? Hell no!" We both shrieked with laughter.

"You know, I'm glad I met you, Mar." Jonathan said. I smiled and leaned over to place my head on his shoulder.

"Me too, Jo."

"Thanks for saving my camera. How did you know he was going to do that?" He asked.

"Intuition." I shrugged.

"Well, thank you. Your dads going to kill you by the way." I groaned and threw my head back on the seat.

"I know. But, on the bright side! I made the team!" I said, shaking the pom-poms that had a few drops of blood on it."

Jonathan cheered, causing me to laugh. We mostly talked nonsense for the rest of the ride. When we parked at my house, the laughter died down and we sat in the drive way for a couple seconds.

"I, uh, I have to go...pick out a coffin for Will." I frowned and turned to him.

"Be careful." I said. Jonathan turned to me with confusion.

"I mean, In general. Keep your friends close. See the bigger picture. Sometimes you have to zoom in on something that isn't the focus point." I said slowly, trying not to give myself away.

He still looked at me confused.

"You're weird." He finally said. I laughed and shook my head.

"But I'm right. You'll see." I got out of the car and went inside the house quickly, smiling to myself. The phone had been ringing when I entered the house so I rushed to get it.

"Hopper residence, this is-"

"Marley!"

"Joyce? What's wrong?" I asked my heart bursting from my chest.

"Marley, I need you! Please come quick!" She cried. I dropped the phone and instantly ran from the door. The Byers residence was three blocks from my house.

I figured that out as I ran to her. Sweat dripping down my head and my muscles numb even tho the adrenaline was bursting though my system.

When I saw their house, I ran even faster. The song "Should I stay or should" I go bursting through the walls.

"Joyce!" I screamed. When I burst through the door I saw her looking around before she saw me. I sighed in relief and rushed for her just as she rushed for me.

"Marley, thank god. You're the only one who believes me. I didn't know who else to call."

"It's okay. Is it Will?" I asked. She nodded and looked around. I closed my eyes and tried to remember the episode.

Will talked to her tonight. After she...

"The wall!" I gasped. I rushed to the wall and began ripping open the wallpaper.

"Marley, what are you-" there it was. We both saw it. The red vein like wall that separated our world from theirs.

"Mom?!" Will called.

"Will!" Joyce screamed, coming up beside me.

"Mom!" He cried.

"Mom, it's coming." Will cried.

"Tell me where you are! How do I get to?" She begged, hitting the wall.

"It's like home, but it's so dark... It's so dark and empty. And it's cold! Mom? Mom!"

"Listen to me! I swear I'm gonna get to you."

"Will! Listen, we need you to hide." I said loudly.

"Mom, please" Will begged again.

"I know, listen. I will find you, but you need to run now! Run!" She screamed just as the wall closed.

"No!" She screamed, hitting the wall. Joyce turned around and grabbed the axe but I rushed to held her back.

"Joyce, It's not going to help!" I said, struggling to hold her back.

"I need to get to him!" She cried.

"Joyce, wait. Listen to me!" I said, shaking her by the shoulders.

"I'm going to help him. I will find a way to get to him and help. But, you have to promise to trust me." I begged. She let out a sob and fell into my chest.

"Will.." she cried.

Shivers.