Chapter 21

Edited:
Word Count: 1014

I walked into the kitchen, trying to hide the fact that my head was throbbing.

"Morning." I heard a small voice say. I looked at El and Hopper as he was cutting a stack full of egos filled with candy.

"Dad, she can't have that for breakfast." I chuckled.

"Good, right? You know the great thing about it? It's only 8000 calories." Hopper said to us. I grabbed a bite of it and shoved it in my mouth.

Hopper looked over at the TV cord that went into her room.

"Visited him again last night?" Hopper asked.

"He said he needs me." She whispered.

"Want me go check on him?" I asked her, she gave me a soft smile but shook her head.

"I know that you miss him, right? But it's too dangerous. You're the last thing he needs right now. You're gonna see him. Soon. And not just in that head of yours. You're gonna see him in real life. I feel like I'm making progress with these people." Hopper said.

I knew he was lying, I just wasn't sure why.

"Friends don't lie." She said angrily, I sighed, standing up and grabbing our plates before bringing them to the sink.

"What?"

"You say soon on day 21. So soon on day 205. You now say soon on day 326?"

"What is this? You're counting down the days not like your prisoner?"

"When is soon? Soon as one... It's not dangerous anymore." Hopper shrugged.

"When?"

"I don't know."

"On day 500?" She started to get louder. The fear filled my veins and I shifted between my feet.

"I don't know."

"On day 600."

"I don't know."

"On day 700? And 800?"

"I need to see him. Tell me!" El screamed, she flipped the table and out of instinct I fell to the ground and covered my ears.

"Oh shit!" Hopper said.

"Friends don't lie!" She yelled again, I heard her run off and then slam the door.

The tears prickled in my eyes and I squeezed them shut, rocking back and forth.

"You're okay. You're safe." I repeated over and over again. When I opened my eyes, I saw the dark veins and the dust that floated around.

"No." I cried.

"Dad!" I screamed. I stood up and looked around quickly. When I turned to the window, I saw lighting strike, giving me a flash of what I saw last night.

The shadow arms that waved around as it moved.

"Marley!" I heard behind me. I jerked in the voices direction and sighed when I was back in the cabin with Hopper.

I gasped and fell into his chest.

"Make it stop. Please, make it stop." I cried.

***

"Hey, guys." I said as I opened the door to the Byer's house.

"Hey, Marley!" Everyone greeted.

"It's the famous Marley!" I heard another voice say. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion and walked into the kitchen to see a man. This must be the one that Joyce was telling me about.

"I'm bob, isn't that funny!? You know, Bob Marley?" I let out a genuine laugh. I had always thought that Bob's jokes were funny, even when no one else did.

"Right. We'd be a real team." I joked back. Joyce smiled at me in appreciation.

"Oh, will. Before we go, can I talk to you?" Will nodded and I led him into the living room. When I sat him down on the couch, I knelt in front of him.

"I don't want to scare you. I just want to be prepared, okay?" Will nodded slowly, looking at me with concern.

"If something happens, and we are in the upside down, I want you to run, no matter what. You run. I don't care if someone tells you not to. You know I'm right. Meet me at my old house and wait for me." I said, holding his arms tightly.

"You don't think-"

"No. I'm saying that these..visions we're having, are just that. But, we need to be prepared. I'll take care of you just like I did back then. Do you understand me?" Will nodded quickly and I sighed in relief. I stood up to kiss the top of his head before I met Jonathan in the kitchen.

"Ready to go?" He asked. I nodded and squealed when he picked me up and threw me over his shoulder.

"Bye Joyce! Nice meeting you, Bob!" I said as we walked out. They both laughed and waved to me just as the door closed.

Jonathan put me down as we both got in the car.

"Okay, what happened with Steve. You called me late last night so it must've been important."

I went into detail about what Steve said, and how Billy reacted and how he took me home instead of Steve.

"So, then, did anything happen with Billy?" He asked. I gulped and looked out the window.

I was back in the upside down. But, when I looked around, the car was still going, expect there were vines inside.

My breathing started up and I squeezed my eyes shut.

"Billy!" I called.

"Billy, if you can hear me I need you to pull over and grab my hand." I said again. I let a tear slip down my face.

I turned around and saw the creature behind us, crawling to get closer.

"Oh my god." I gasped. Taking deep breathes in and out, I found my heart impossible to slow down.

"Billy, please hurry." I cried. Turning around again, the monster got closer and closer to us.

I felt something warm enter my hand and then I was back.

"Marley? What the hell just happened." Billy said, looking at me in worry. I sighed and squeezed his hand tighter.

"I, uh, I went through something a year ago. I have these episodes now. Sometimes it's hard to forget if they're real or not.."  I let go of his hand and wiped a stray tear from my face.

"Sorry, you can keep driving.."

"You sure?"

"Yes." I said sternly.