Chapter 24

Edited:
Word Count: 995

"Who the hell is this?" I heard Hopper bark from the side. I hiccuped and turned, trying to keep consciousness as I leaned against Billy.

"It's my step-brother Billy. He got here before we all did." Max said.

"I was with her a couple days ago when she had an episode, she told me the signs and I saw her have one in the parking lot. I-i didn't know what to do so I followed her." Everyone looked between each other as Billy spoke.

Hopper grabbed my arm but I cried out and held onto Billy tighter.

"No, please." I cried. Billy sighed and held me tighter.

"Kid, I have to take you to a doctor.."

"No!" I yelled. They all started talking about something but I didn't listen. Billy picked me up bridal style before carrying me somewhere.

"Marley, oh, my god!" I heard someone yell. Slowly I lifted my head and saw Steve sprinting towards us. Steve tried to grab me from Billy's hands but he tightened his grip.

"I got her." Billy said with a clenched jaw.

"She's my- you don't understand what's going on. Give her to me." Steve spit.

Hopper came up and put a hand on Billy's shoulder.

"She'll call you, later, kid. Let Steve take her." I turned to see Billy looking down at me. I frowned and turned as he placed me in Steve's arms.

Steve was freezing cold, I sighed in relief and brought his face to touch my forehead.

"Jesus, Mar, you're burning up." Steve said. Billy went to turn but Steve stopped him.

"Thanks, Billy. Seriously." Steve said. Billy looked at me, clenched his jaw before giving a curt nod and walking off.

Steve took me to Hoppers truck and placed me on his lap as Hopper got in. I grabbed Steve's hand that was freezing from outside and placed it in my face, sighing.

"Roll the windows down, she's got a fever." Steve said. Hopper nodded and rolled the windows down, making me smile.

"I can't take her back home." Hopper said suddenly.

"Why not?" Steve asked.

"I work all day, someone needs to make sure she's okay." Hopper sighed. I knew that wasn't the only reason.

He didn't want anyone to come by the house to check up on me and see El there.

"Byers?" Steve asked.

"No." I said.

"I can't bring will into this." I frowned.

"She...she can stay at my place? We have a spare bedroom." Steve offered. My heartbeat quickened and I made eye contact with Hopper.

"Won't your parents be.." Hopper stopped talking and turned to Steve.

"Your parents aren't even home."

"They won't be for a while. I figured some quiet might help her." Steve suggested. Hopper looked at me once again, reaching over to place a hand on my knee.

"Is that okay with you, kid?" I hesitated for a moment. Did I really want to stay with Steve right now after what he said?

But then again, I didn't have an option.

"Yeah..." I muttered. Hopper turned the corner to Steve's road.

"I'll bring her clothes and anything else she might need." Steve nodded and shifted as we pulled into his house.

Hopper got out before coming to our side and grabbing me from Steve's arms and leading me towards the house. Steve rushed ahead of us to unlock the door.

"Lay her on the couch for now, I'll make her some food." Hopper nodded and walked inside, gently placing me on the couch.

He sighed and looked at my shaking body before touching my head.

"We're gonna get this figured out and get you home, kid. I promise." I simply nodded and watched as he leaned to Steve, whispering something in his ear before he took off.

When the door closed it left Steve and I in an awkward silence.

"Listen, Marley..." he began. Steve knelt down in front of me and moved a strand of hair from my face.

"I didn't mean anything I said. I was just angry and I guess I just took it out on you. I shouldn't have done it. I'm sorry."

"Steve-"

"No. I'm not done." I sighed and watched as his eyes began to water before he looked down before I couldn't see it.

"Look, when Nancy and I broke up I was just mad because I didn't see it coming. Even if you weren't here, I would've found someone to blame. But, I want you here, I'm glad you're here. You're one of my best friends and you make me smile in a way I never thought I would. Life wouldn't be the same if you hadn't shown up and I mean that.." Steve ranted.

"You and Nancy broke up?" I questioned. Steve chuckled and shook his head.

"I just spilled my guts to you and that's the only thing you pick up?" He smiled. I nodded slowly and he leaned forward pressing a kiss to my forehead.

My stomach tickled in nervousness when he did and I widened my eyes.

"I'm going to make you some soup." He said, getting up and walking towards the kitchen. I found enough energy to sit up and turn to watch him.

He had a rag thrown over his shoulder as his sleeves were rolled up to his elbows. Steve brushed his hair out of his face before he started to stir in focus.

"What did my dad say to you?" I asked. Steve looked up at me from his spot in the kitchen and shifted uncomfortably.

"Uh..don't worry about it. Just a dad talk." I squinted my eyes, obviously able to tell that he was lying. But, I let it go and turned around to look at the blank TV.

Suddenly, a vision of me running through a dark tunnel surrounded my vision. Low huffs were heard as it rushed through and I widened my eyes.

Then, it stopped.