Chapter 42

Edited:
Word Count: 1070

(Marley's POV)

"Do you copy? This is a code red." I heard softly. I groaned and turned to my side, into El's shoulder.

"Max! Do you copy?" I heard again.

"Maxine, I swear to god. Shut them up." I groaned.

"Jesus, okay, Billy." She chuckled lightly. The bed creaked as Max sat up and moved to grab the walkie-talkie.

"Shut. Up." She spit, pushing the antenna down and turning it off. Max turned around and laid on my shoulder before we heard the phone ringing.

We all groaned in annoyance as she got up and answered the phone.

"Stop. Calling-...what?..." El and I both sat up at the tone in her voice and looked at each other. Max slowly put the phone down and turned to us.

"Get dressed."

We all rushed out to my car before I quickly drove to the Wheerl's house where Will proceeded to tell us about the bad feelings he's been having.

"I didn't think it was anything at first..I mean, I think I just didn't want to believe it. The first time I felt it was at the day of the dead." Will informed.

"Where the power went out.." Mike said.

"And then I felt it again at the field near the Nelson farm on the next day. Then, again at Castle Byers." Will added.

I touched his hand gently and sent him a small smile.

"What does it feel like?" Max asked.

"Have you guys ever went down on a rollercoaster." Everyone chorused a yes besides El.

"Everything inside your body is sinking all at once but it's worse.."

"It goes cold and you can't breathe. We felt it before, whenever he was close." I added in, shivering at the thought of what happened those months ago.

"Whenever who was close?"

"The mind flayer." We said at the same time.

"I closed the gate." El said slowly.

"I know but what if he never left. What if we locked him out here with us?" Will asked, looking at all of us.

Will sighed and pulled me along with him as we surrounded the table. He began drawing roughly with a black piece of charcoal.

"This is him. All of him. But that day on the field, part of him attached himself inside Marley." He grabbed my hand and wiped it across the paper, covering my hand with black.

I crinkled my nose in disgust.

"Our mom got it out of her and eleven closed the gate. But, the part that was still in her, what if it's still in our world? In Hawkins?" Will turned the paper over and put my hand on the paper, leaving my handprint.

I swallowed harshly and touched the medallion on my neck with my clean hand.

"I don't understand. The demo dogs died when El closed the gate. If the brains dies, the body dies." Max added in.

"We can't take any chances. We have to assume the worst. The mind flayers back." Mike said.

"Yeah and if he is. He'd want to attach himself to someone again. A new Marley." Will sighed, turning to me. I stayed silent and simply squeezed my eyes shut.

"A new host." Lucas said.

"How can you tell if someone's a host?" El asked. My eyes shot open and everyone turned to me.

"Uhm...hates the heat, overly aggressive, forgets their loved ones." I whisper.

"Hello?" I heard as I held the phone to my ear. I smiled to myself and felt myself closing my eyes, trying to memorize his voice.

"Hi, Steve-O." I chuckled.

"Marley, Hey, beautiful. What's up?" He said, I could practically hear the smile on his face through the phone.

"I just wanted to hear your voice, is all." I lied.

"Marley? What's wrong?" He asked in a worried tone. I laughed and shook my head.

"Nothing, Steve. Actually, the girls wanted me to stay with them again tonight so I'm not sure if I'll make it for the movie night." I said, turning to see the kids looking at me from inside my car.

"Oh..that's okay. I'm glad you're spending time with them. We're still on for Saturday, right?" I frowned and played with the strings of the phone.

"Of course. Look, I have to go, okay? Be safe. I love you." I sighed.

"I love you too, Marley."

"Steve?"

"Yeah?"

"I love you." He chuckled and deeply inhaled.

"I love you." And then I put the phone on the holder and walked back to my car.

"What's wrong?" El asked from the front seat. I hadn't realized I was crying until a tear fell onto my lap.

"Nothing, I just miss Steve." I lied. She only nodded and sat back in her seat as i pushed on the gas.

"I don't know. He looks pretty normal to me." Max said, holding the binoculars up as we watched Billy from the side of the pool.

"Normal? How many times have you seen him with a shirt on?" Lucas asked, I chucked at this.

"I mean, it's a little weird." I shrugged.

"More than a little. He was in a tub with ice. The mind flayer likes it cold. Plus everything else-"

"But he's lounging at the pool, which is like, the Least mind flayer thing ever." Max said.

"Not necessarily. The mind flayer likes to hide. He only used me when he needed me. It's like your dormat. And then, when he needs you, you're activated." I sighed.

"Okay, so we just wait until he gets activated?"

"No, what if he hurts someone?" I clenched my jaw and found myself turning down to my feet.

"Or kills someone." I grabbed the binoculars and looked at Billy myself. I saw the reflection of my crystal necklace around his neck and smiled slightly.

His eyes scanned the pool as he shifted uncomfortably.

"We can't take that chance. We need to find out if he's the host." Mike said. I scoffed and shoved the binoculars on his chest.

"It. If it's the host." I spit. His face fell as he watched me.

"If the mind flayer has Billy.." I turned to look at him.

"Then he's gone." I turned and walked over to lean against a tree. I remembered the plan, but I didn't know how it went.

I felt my memory of the future fading away more every day.