Chapter 44

Edited:
Word count: 1276

"Where's Billy?" The girl asked. I knew her, Heather, she worked at the pool with Billy and I.

"I'm the new Billy." I said blankly.

"No, I... Yes, from the Hawkins post. I called a couple days ago about The... Yes, yes, I was just following up to see if anything also gone missing. Or if... Sorry to bother you." Nancy slowly put the phone back on the cord.

"Who's next?" She asked, coming back to us.

"There is no next. Unless you wanna start calling random peoples homes." I sighed, crossing out yet another lead.

"Doesn't make sense." She sighed.

"What part of any of this makes sense?" Jonathan asked.

"There's a pattern, OK? A consistency to their behavior. They've been feeding on these chemicals since this started, and what they just stop by the blue?"

"Maybe they have all the chemicals they need. Maybe they've all turned in those... Things." Will added.

"But what about the source? I mean, did the Mind Flayer suddenly stop infecting people? And even if the flayed are monsters now, why can't El find them?" Nancy asked.

"Maybe no one is saying anything is going missing because they're also flayed. The Mind Flayer wants us to think he's done." I put in.

Nancy looked at me with furrowed brows, before she could say anything Lucas, Mike and Max came into the room.

"OK, can you guys settle an argument for us. Who do you think should decide El's limits? Mike or Eleven?" Max asked quickly. I scoffed and closed my eyes tightly.

"You need to find a way to escape." I heard the voice echo in my head. I leaned forward on the counter and rubbed my eyes.

"I know. But either I leave now, or let them see where everyone is. Holding back the information is draining, I can only do one at a time." I thought back.

"Let them see." I sighed and opened my mind again, breaking down the walls that covered the building everyone was at.

I waited for a few minutes before opening my eyes, seeing El walk towards the kitchen.

"What's going on?" She asked.

"Family discussion." Lucas chuckled.

"I found him." El said. The pit in my stomach filled and I looked away from my sister, my eyes landed on Will who was staring at me in concentration.

I looked away, placing my hand on the table before tapping it rhythmically, avoiding his eyes.

(Steve's POV)

"Help! Help!"

"Stop yelling." I moaned, the ringing in my ears only growing as I spoke.

"Oh, Steve, thank God. Are you OK?" Robin asked.

"My ears are ringing, and I can't really breathe, and my eye feels like it's about to pop out of my skull, but, you know, apart from that, I'm doing pretty good." I joked.

"Well, the good news is that they're calling you a doctor." She said laughing.

"Is this his place of work? I love the vibe. Charming." We both laughed at this.