Chapter 58

Word Count: 1325
Edited:

"Okay. She's in." Steve said as we watched Max go into the house.

"I'm missing Collarbones, not eyes." Dustin retorted. I chuckled and rolled my eyes.

"What does Max even see her for?" Steve questioned.

"Her step-dad. After Billy left town, he threw her around a little bit until I tased him so hard he pissed himself and had to be sent to the hospital." I snickered.

Steve sighed happily.

"I love you." He said, turning me to me. I chuckled and shook my head.

"Did I leave my Walkman in here?" I asked.

"You probably left it at the house." Steve shrugged, looking at the house. I reached for the compartment in the front seat.

"No!" Dustin and Steve screamed. I jumped and gave them incredulous looks.

"What the hell." I asked them. I went to reach for it again but Steve grabbed my face and slammed his lips on mine.

I let out a squeak and felt Dustin come forward from the back seat and ruffle through the compartment until he closed it harshly.

Steve pulled away causing me to gasp.

Dustin gave me a toothy smile and handed me the Walkman.

"You guys are freaking insane." I said, shaking my head. I looked back up and saw Max running towards the car.

"Steve, start the car. Something wrong." Steve did as told and the second she jumped in, he slammed on the gas and took off.

"What did she say?" I asked.

"Nothing, but I got these." She said, holding up a pair of keys. I smiled brightly and high-fived her.

We continued to the school until we heard Dustin's radio go off.

"Dustin! Dustin, this is Lucas do you copy?" Dustin pulled it out.

"Where the hell have you been?" Dustin spit.

"Just listen. Are you looking for Eddie?"

"Yeah, we found him, no thanks to you."

"You found him?" My eyes widened and I shook my head, looking at Dustin. He didn't seem to catch my distress and only looked at me weird.

"No." I mouthed.

"He's at a boathouse on Coleman Road. Don't worry. He safe." I groaned and threw my head back on the seat.

"You guys know he killed Chrissy, right?" Lucas said. I scoffed and shook my head in disbelief.

"That's bullshit. Eddie tried to save Chrissy." Dustin replied.

"Then why do all the cops say that he did it?" Max sighed and grabbed it from Dustin.

"Lucas, you're so behind it's ridiculous, Okay? Just meet us at the school. We'll explain later." She said.

" I... I can't. I think some real bad shits about to go down." Lucas said slowly.

"What are you talking about? What bad shit?" She asked. Silence.

They turned off the radio and I looked at Dustin.

"He was at a party the night Chrissy died, right?" Dustin nodded slowly.

"Which means he's been with the basketball team ever since. What would you do as someone who hadn't been in the popular crowd a day in his life?" I asked again.