Chapter 51

Edited:Word Count: 955

Edited:
Word Count: 955

"God damit, Steven!" I cursed, jumping from the bed and rushing around the room to grab my clothes. He groaned from his side and rolled over.

"Five more minutes." He moaned. I huffed in annoyance and threw my shoe at him.

"Marley! Shit!" He said, jumping up.

"Get ready!" I said sternly. He rolled his eyes and quickly got dressed with me before we rushed out to the car and headed to Robin's.

I was fixing my makeup when I felt a warm thing graze my thigh. Slowly, I looked down and saw Steve's hand resting there.

"You know, uh..you look really good in your cheer uniform." He said, winking at me. I smack his hand away with a laugh.

"Sounds very weird of you, Steve-O? You like little girls who wear cheer uniforms?" I asked, quirking and eyebrow.

"Jesus Christ. No, Marley, just you, and you're eighteen by the way. Doesn't count." Steve laughed back.

I rolled my eyes playfully and looked outside, touching the medallion I still wear on my neck. I remembered watching the pep rally in the show, but the details during and after are foggy.

I feel like I can never remember the future anymore unless I'm minutes away from the event.

"Your memory still hasn't come back, has it?" I stayed silent which gave him his response. Steve sighed and reached over to grab my hand as he went into park.

"It'll be fine. I love you because you're kind, smart, funny and incredibly badass," I chuckled and shook my head slightly.

"Not because you're from a time where I'm old enough to be your dad and can tell the future." I smiled and watched as Steve slowly leaned forward.

I started to as well before the door burst open.

"Hi, guys!" Robin said smiling. Steve huffed and leaned back into his seat before putting the car in park.

"Hi, Robin." He groaned.

***

The band blared their music as the girls and I did the routine we'd been working on for a month for the school.

I handed my poms to another girl and went to one side of the gym before doing a number of flips, landing in the splits.

The crowd went wild and I looked in the crowd to see Steve cheering, yelling,

"That's my girlfriend!" I laughed and stood up, turning to go back into formation before a ringing burst through my ear. I staggered slightly and saw my vision blur.

"I thought you said you were flexible." Billy's voice echoed.

"Not for you." My voice echoed back.

"Hey! Are you okay?" I heard as someone touched my arm. My head jerked on their direction to see Chrissy staring back at me.

I sighed and placed a hand on my forehead.

"Lightheaded." I lied. She sent me a warm smile before bringing me to sit on our knees In front of the bleachers.

"Let's hear it for your Tigers!" The announcer called. The basketball boys ran through the doors of the school and held their hands up high to wave.

"Good morning, Hawkins High." The team captain Jason said, smiling brightly. To be honest, he was an asshole. I never told Steve but he tried to hit on me a couple times throughout the year, even though he's with Chrissy. But I laughed in his face every time.

"First off...I'd like to thank each and everyone of you. Without your support, we wouldn't be here. Give yourselves a big hand." He said, everyone cheered and clapped.

An uneasy feeling entered in my stomach as I sat around everyone.

"And of course, of course, I have to give a special shout out to the best and prettiest fans of all time, the tiger cheer squad." I put on a fake smile and raised my hands to wave to everyone.

"Chrissy... Chrissy, I love you, babe." Jason said, I looked over and saw Chrissy blow a kiss to him lovingly. I turned my head to Steve who looked at me as well.

He rolled his eyes, making me giggle.

"You know... I think I speak for all of us when I say it's been a tough year for Hawkins. So much loss." I swallowed harshly and turned back to Jason.

"Sometimes I wonder, how much loss can one to community take. And dark days like this, we need something to believe in."

"So, last night, when we were down by 10 points a half to the Christian Academy, I looked at my team, and I said, think of Jack. Think of Melissa. Think of Heather. Think about our police chief and father of our very own Tiger Cheer squad captian, Jim Hopper." Jason said, gesturing to me.

I pursed my lips and looked down. Multiple hands touched my shoulders and back.

"Think about every each one of our friends that perished in that fire. What did they die for? For us to lose to some... Crap school? Press return home with her head hung low in defeat?" I looked back up and caught sight of something in the doorway of the gym.

My heart dropped, my blood ran cold and the hair on the back of my neck stood up. Standing there..was Hopper, looking at me with a soft smile.

He leaned his head down and tilted his hat to me.

"Oh, my god. Marley, are you alright? I told him not to mention your dad.." I heard beside me. When I looked over, Chrissy was holding my shoulder in sympathy.

"No..no, don't worry about it." I sighed, I looked back over at the door and saw that my dad was gone.

"I want people to remember him."