Chapter 17

Edited:
Word Count: 1250

"This is stupid, I mean, we're going to have practice right after this." One of the cheerleaders said as we stretched.

"Oh, come on. Think of it as a good thing, you are getting out of class for this." I chuckled.

"She's right." Carol said. A basketball rolled over to us and I grabbed it, Turning to see who to throw it to.

It just happened to be Billy. His hand was up in the air and a big smirk on his face. I rolled my eyes and tossed it back to him.

"Alright, girls. Start up the music. I want to see how far you are." Coach said as she walked in.

"Here? The boys are playing basketball." Another girl, Debbie, I think, complained. Coach simply glared at her before putting the whistle in her mouth and blowing it, starting to music at the same time.

I went to one side of the gym to make room before I heard the drum beat.

Play:

"If you see a faded sign at the side of the road that says fifteen miles to the-" I took off running before doing a back hand spring and landing in a split instead of my feet.

"Love shack." Played just as I hit the ground. The boys whooped and hollered from the side.

"Good, Marley, good!" Coach yelled. The girls got in the formation before we starting doing to routine for the song.

We faced the boys who had now stopped to stare at our dance. I saw Billy staring directly at me with a tooth pick in his mouth, enjoying the view a little too much.

We were about halfway through the song when we heard to whistle bowl and the music stop. I turned and saw the principal standing next to our coach.

"Marley, your dads here to pick you up." I nodded and walked towards the bleachers, grabbing my bag before turning and bumping into someone.

"I thought you said you were flexible." Billy teased.

"Not for you I'm not." And I bumped his shoulder as I passed him, walking alongside the principal in silence before we reached the office and I saw Joyce, Will, and Hopper standing there waiting for me.

"Hey, what's up?" I asked hopper.

"They moved your appointment to today." He said lowly. I groaned and looked over at Will who's head was down.

"Okay, then..." and with that, we left the school.

***

Hopper and I sat in the car in silence as I looked outside, leaning my head against the window.

"Why didn't you tell me what you've been seeing, kid? I would've understood.." Hopper said slowly. I squeezed my eyes shut and remembered what happened.

"No, Steve this isn't bad, honestly." I said slowly, looking at the paper in my hands. I was sitting on the couch of his house while he got me a water.

"Well, your face says it all, Mar. You're a terrible liar." He said coming back in and grabbing my legs before sitting down and placing them on his lap.

"I'm a great liar actually. I made you all believe I was a normal kid, didn't I?" I joked. Steve scoffed and gave me a look.