Chapter 65

Word Count: 1263
Edited:

We are following behind Dustin as he tracked the gate with his compass. Tree branches scratched my face harshly.

"Dustin? Can you slow down?" I called.

"I think we're getting close." He called back. Just as he went to take another step, Eddie grabbed him by the back of the hood.

"Watch your step, big guy." He said. We all made our way to shore and looked at the lake that seemed to completely surround the area.

"Oh, shit." I cursed, letting out a heavy breath.

"I knew these woods looked familiar." Eddie said, scratching his head.

"Lovers lake."

"This is confounding." Dustin sighed.

"There's a gate in lovers lake?" Max asked.

"When One of the Demogorgans attacked, it always left an opening. What if Vecna is the same way?" Nancy asked.

"Yeah, only one way to find out."

I looked around until I saw something being covered by a tarp.

"Bingo."

I quickly threw the tarp off of it to reveal a medium sized boat.

I smile at everybody proudly and watch as Eddie grabbed it and threw it into the water.

"Easy, man." Steve scolded.

Eddie and Steve held the boat as Robin walked in, and then Eddie walked in helping Nancy as well before Steve got in and grab my waist pulling in.

When Dustin tried to walk in and Eddie pushed him back.

"Hey, Hey. Are you trying to sink us? This thing holds four people tops, Okay?" Eddie said.

"It's better this way, Okay. Stay here with Max. Just in case. Keep out of trouble." I said to him sternly.

"It's my goddamn theory." Dustin said in disbelief.

"You heard me." I gave him a mom look.

"Who put her in charge?" He asked.

"I did. Compass." I said, pointing to Nancy's hand. Dustin sighed and complied.

"Okay, here you go." Steve pushed the boat off before jumping in as well.

"You said four!" Dustin yelled. Steve simply shrugged and began rowing the boat.

"Bedtime at nine, kiddos. Miss you already." Robin called.

"Oh, woah, slow down." Nancy said as we reached a couple feet.

We all looked over the compass as it went wild.

"Guys, what's going on?" Dustin asked.

"Oh, Dustin, your compass has gone from wonky to wonky with a capital..ahh!" Robin said. I heard Steve shuffling beside me and turned to see him taking off his clothes.

"Steve, what are you doing?" I asked hesitantly.

"Someone's gonna go down there and check this out. Unless one of you three can top being a Hawkins swim cocaptain and a certified lifeguard for three years, then... It's gonna be me." I gave him a look of disbelief.

"Did you forget what I did all summer?" I questioned. Steve just looked at me.

"No complaints, right?"

"Hey, I'm not complaining. I do not wanna go down there." Eddie chimed in.

Eddie took out the bag from his pocket and started wrapping around the flashlight.