Chapter 52

Edited:
Word Count: 1121

"Hi, my sweet children." I beamed, coming in between Mike and Dustin. Over the past couple months, Mike grew like a giant. He towered over me easily whenever I stood next to him.

"Hi, Mar." The said with a monotone sigh.

"Geez, who died." They both gave me a look.

"Right. Don't answer that. What's wrong?" I questioned.

"Lucas has to play his stupid basketball game tonight but Eddie's campaign for D&D is also tonight." Mike said, throwing his hands in the air.

I hadn't talked to Eddie much, or at least I didn't think I did. Unfortunately, I was a victim to cliches and never really talked to anyone besides the kids, Robin, Steve, and some of the jocks, cheerleaders and family. I never really ventured out.

Mostly because I didn't want to become close with people who might die.

"And Lucas won't talk to the coach." Dustin added. I chuckled and walked into the lunchroom with them. They stopped when they looked at Eddie and the rest of their table.

"Shit, he seems really revved up today." Dustin sighed.

"He's always revved up. We'll just act casual." Mike said.

"Well, now that you don't need me..." I went to walk off but Mike grabbed my arm.

"Wait, if you help us talk to him, maybe he'll be more likely to move it." Mike said, looking at Dustin who nodded.

"Yeah, everyone loves you. You're Marley." Dustin smiled.

"Tell that to the beasts we fight. No. Freaking. Way. Steve would kill me if he found out." I whispered harshly.

"He's not going to find out. We'll just tell him that I guilt tripped you." Mike shrugged.

"But, you didn't-"

"Keeping El away from me for a year." Mike said, looking at me blankly. I groaned and let them pull me over to their table.

They shoved me down in a seat between them. The boys all looked at me with wide eyes.

"Well, if it isn't Miss Marley Hopper." Eddie said, interlocking his fingers together and placing them under his chin.

"Captain of the Cheer Squad, Hawkin's High Queen, and girlfriend of "The Hair", Harrington." He smiled sarcastically.

I scoffed and crossed my arms over my chest.

"To what do we owe the pleasure?"

"She's our friend." Dustin said. Eddie looked at Dustin blankly.

"She's actually pretty cool. You know, she actually used to play Dn-" I elbowed Dustin in the ribs, making him groan and stop talking.

"Just came to sit with my friends." I replied back with just as much sarcasm, leaning forward on the table. Eddie hummed in response and sat back in his seat, staring at me.

We held eye contact for a few seconds before Eddie let a smile rip through his face, before he let out a small chuckle.

"I've heard a lot about you, Marley. These boys talk about you very highly." Eddie said. I smiled at Mike and Dustin before turning back.

"Ditto." I chuckled.

"Anyways, back to topic. Society has to blame something. We're an easy target." A boy said.

"Exactly. We're the freaks because we like to play fantasy game." Eddie said with annoyance.

"But as long as you're into band..." Eddie stood up and began standing on the table.

"Or science... Or parties... Or a game where you toss balls until laundry baskets..." He added, shouting the last part at the Jocks table.

Jason stood and stepped towards the table.

"Do you want something, freak?" Eddie put his hands to his head before sticking his tongue out, I found myself laughing and watched him walk back to his seat.

"It's forced conforming. That's what... Killing the kids." Eddie said, jumping down, almost hitting a woman.

"That's the real monster." He said, making eye contact with me. I shifted in my seat, suddenly feeling uncomfortable.

"Hey, Marley!" I heard beside me. Chrissy and Tina were standing there with smiles on their face.

"Are you sitting with us today? We wanted to talk about some moves for the new routine." Chrissy beamed.

"Yeah, sure." I stood up and grabbed my bag from the back of my chair before looking at Dustin.

"You got this." I mouthed. Dustin shakily nodded and I followed the girls towards our table.

"What the hell were you doing with the freaks?" Jason said as I sat down. I turned and shot him a look.

"Didn't I tell you what would happen if you-"

"I meant. Eddie." Jason said, stopping me before I could finish my threat. The first time that Jason had talked shit about the kids, I threatened to tell Chrissy that he tried to kiss me while they were together.

The reason I haven't told her yet is because she literally told me not to. She told me that if I heard or saw Jason doing something with another girl, not to tell her, which I never understood.

"Oh, I don't know. I was just talking to Dustin and Mike mostly." I shrugged, putting a fry in my mouth.

"They worship Satan, Mar. It's disgusting." Tina scoffed.

"Awe, come on, Tina. You know I don't believe in god." I chuckled dryly.

"Just because you think he killed your dad doesn't mean he isn't real." She said quickly. The second the words left her mouth, her face drained to a white color.

The entire table was silent as they stared between us. I sighed and dropped a fry back onto my plate before looking back up and searching the cafeteria.

A younger girl, a lost girl with braces and glasses was about to walk past our table, clutching her books and looking at our table fearfully.

"Hey, you." I called. She looked directly at me, then turned around to make sure I was actually talking to her.

"Me?" She asked quietly. I nodded and gestured her over.

"I'm Marley Hopper." I said with a smile. She chuckled and pushed up her glasses.

"I know you are. I'm Tessa Baker." She said.

"Cool, Tessa, you want a spot on the cheer team?" I asked. Her eyes widened and she looked at the rest of the table.

"Y-yeah!"

"We don't have any available slots left, Marley." Tina said quickly. I turned to her and smirked.

"We do now. Turn in your uniform. You're off the team." A chorus of "oo's" erupted from the table.

"What?" She exclaimed. I leaned forward slightly.

"You're. Off. The. Team." I said again slowly. Tina let out a cry and ran up from the table and towards the door.

"We'll need some younger girls when Chrissy and I leave anyways." I shrugged. Chrissy covered her mouth and laughed.

"I can't believe you did that." She laughed.