Chapter 53

Edited:
Word Count: 1016

"You've got to be kidding me." I heard as I walked in.

"She's the only one who couple help." Dustin sighed. I crossed my arm, my Pom poms making a noise as I did.

"Let's get this over with, Chrissy is taking over until we're done." I sighed.

"Where's your boyfriend right now?" Eddie asked with a smile.

"Working," I said simply. "Let's get started."

"The hooded cultists chant, hail Lord Vecna. Hail Lord Vecna. They turn to you, remove their hoods. You recognize most of them from Mokbar. But there is one you do not recognize, his skin shriveled, desiccated. And something else. He's not only missing his left arm.." Eddie begins, placing an arm before his back.

"But his left eye!" He says, covering his eye.

"Dammit!" I yelled, along with everyone else.

"Vecna's dead! It was killed by Kas."

"So it was thought, my friends. So it was thought." Eddie slammed the piece on the board harshly.

"Vecna lives!"

"Marley.." I heard. I froze in place and looked around, trying to figure out who called my name. No one was looking at me.

The skin on the back of my neck crawled and I widened my eyes.

When I looked up again, Eddie was the only one staring at me. His eyebrows twisted in concern. I simply leaned back into my chair.

"I say we fight." Dustin shrugged.

"To the death." I said, smirking.

"To the death." They all agreed. Eddie smiled wickedly as we continued playing.

We went on for a few more minutes before one of the boys begged for a timeout. We huddled together to make up a game plan.

"Guys, I hate to say this, but we have to flea." Gareth said.

"I concur." Another added.

"Didn't we just agree to death?" I questioned.

"That wasn't literal." Gareth exclaimed.

"Vecna just decimated us. We can't kill him with two players."

"You too? He only has 15 hit points left. Don't be pussies." Dustin spit.

"Pussies? Really? Cause we're not delusional?"

"Delusional? How about being cowards?" I questioned.

"Hey!" We heard Eddie call. We all turned around to face him.

"If I may interject, gentlemen? Lady. While I respect the passion, you'd be wise to take care Gareth the Greats concern to heart. There's no shame in running. Don't try to be heroes. Not today, OK?"

"One sec." Dustin said before we went back in the circle. 

"What do you think?"

"How many points do you have and Marley have?" Mike asked.

"12." We both said.

"It's risky as hell. But you're the ones on the battlefield. So it's your call." Mike added.

"What do you say, Marley?" Dustin asked. I smirked and stood up.

"If you know me at all you know..."

"Marley Hopper never runs from a fight." Dustin finished. We both laughed and High fived before turning to Eddie.

"We're gonna fight." We said. Dustin went up to the table and grabbed the dice, holding it to his mouth before blowing.

As Dustin threw the dice down, we all watched in slow motion as the dice rolled onto the table. When they landed I gasped.

"That's. A. Miss!" Eddie called. We all groaned.

Then, it was my turn, I grabbed the dice and held it up before tossing it. Dustin grabbed my hand tightly as we watched it slowly roll.

It landed on a 20.

I jumped into the air as everyone cheered loudly. Dustin grabbed my and held me tightly in victory. When we pulled away, I turned to face Eddie who bowed slowly.

"Okay, I have to go!" I said, grabbing my pom poms and rushing out of the room and towards the gym. The second I rushed in I saw the score.

We were losing. The opposite team had two more points then us. The boys were currently in a huddle. I sighed in relief and rushed to stand by Chrissy.

"What I did I miss?" I asked, out of breath.

"Nothing much, Jason just called a time-out and your friend Lucas is in." My eyes lit up and I turned to see him with his pants off, revealing his shorts.

"Yes." I beamed. They clapped out of the huddle and went back to the floor. Chrissy and I held our hands together tightly as they played.

"Come on, come on." I begged. I looked at the clock and saw 10 seconds left. Jason shot the ball and missed.

I scanned the group of boys to see where the ball went and, much to my surprise, I saw it in Lucas's hand. He stopped at the three point line.

The buzzer went off just as the ball was thrown into the air and towards the net. I held my breath and I heard Chrissy do the same.

The ball bounded against the glass before landing firmly in the net. We all cheered loudly and the girls and I rushed towards the boys happily.

Lucas seemed to be in shock, surprised that he even made it himself. He mad eye contact with me and I grabbed him into a hug tightly.

"You did it, Lucas!" I cheered. He laughed and got pulled away by the boys as they lifted him into the air.

I smiled widely.

***

"Shit." I cursed, looking at my watch. Steve was late. He was supposed to be off work by now so he could pick me up after the game.

"Need a ride?" I heard someone call. When I turned around, Eddie was standing by his vehicle with a smile.

"Um..." I looked around, hoping Steve would pull up. But, I figured if he was already half an hour late, Keith must've made him stay later for work like he usually did just to spite him.

"Sure.." I said finally. Turning around, I made my way towards Eddie's vehicle. He opened the door and gestured inside like he was my chauffeur.

I shook my head with a laugh and hopped inside. When Eddie pulled out of the parking lot and towards the road, it was silent.