Chapter 13

Edited:
Word Count: 1330

I felt someone grab my hand lightly. I tried to open my eyes but my body was too weak to let me. I squeezed Will to my body tighter, hoping to give him some of my body heat.

"Marley? Will?" A small voice called, but the voice was shuffled.

"Your mom and dad are coming for you." The voice said quickly. I knew it was El. I could feel it.

"Get..Will..out..first.." I croaked. And then it all went black.

I gasped awake, coughing up the phlegm from my chest.

"Marley, oh, my god!" I heard. Someone grabbed me tightly and held me into their chest. I tried to comprehend what was going on but nothing was coming to.

"Dad?" I called. The body sobbed and squeezed me tighter.

"Yeah, kid. It's me." He cried.

Beep.

It smells like hand sanitizer in here.

Beep.

My throat hurts.

Beep.

Maybe I should go back to sleep.

Beep.

Well, I can't with that incessant beeping.

Beep.

Someone turn it off.

Beep.

"Shut up!" I croaked in a yell. Muffled laughing was heard around me. Slowly, I opened my eyes but squeezed them shut right after from the bright light.

"How you feelin, kid?" Someone asked.

"Like shit." I chuckled.

Finally, I opened my eyes fully and saw Hopper sitting in the chair next to me, holding my hand. Then, I looked to my right and saw Joyce sitting in the other chair.

"This will never not be trippy." I said.

I smiled before it all hit me. I sat up quickly and started to panic. The heart monitor beeping quicker.

"Will." Joyce smiled and placed me back down on the bed.

"He's okay. Marley...you saved him. You saved my boy." She said, tears slipping from her eyes.

That's right. The demogorgan came back and I shoved Will under my bed. It must've grabbed me then.

"Oh.." I said slowly. A knock was heard at the door and I turned to see Nancy, Jonathan and Steve in the door.

"We'll give you guys some time..." Joyce said smiling.

"We will?" Hopper asked. Joyce gave him a look to which he nodded in defeat and stood up, grabbing his coat.

"You're not going to leave, right, Dad?" I called. He turned slowly and smiled at me.

"Never." Even when he walked out the door and closed it behind him, I saw him standing outside of it , like a body guard.

"Geez, he's heavy." Steve mumbled. I laughed and held my arms out for all of them. Jonathan ran to me first and pulled me into him.

"Ow.." I mumbled.

"Sorry..." he said sheepishly. Then, Nancy came up and gave me a hug.

"We're so happy you're okay, Mar." Nancy sighed. I smiled and turned to Steve.